Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

steveem

SDSU Recruiting 2022

8 hours ago, 818SUDSFan said:

Don't know about The Missile but this guy just made it official that he's coming to the Mesa: https://247sports.com/Player/Mark-Redman-46053505/

We're going to need a replacement for Daniel Bellinger and he's going be Da Man.

Damn, we're deep at tight end

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

There’s talk of us bringing in Oregon -> Virginia Tech QB Braxton Burmeister. “Meh”, IMO. Probably one of the bottom quality FBS QB transfers available.

4 hours ago, badfish said:

There’s talk of us bringing in Oregon -> Virginia Tech QB Braxton Burmeister. “Meh”, IMO. Probably one of the bottom quality FBS QB transfers available.

If he is better than what we have...

Americans Mayor

On 12/19/2021 at 11:35 PM, Spaztecs said:

If he is better than what we have...

Still, aren't you tired of bringing in P5 guys only to watch them bomb out?  When P5 QBs transfer to another P5 team, that's one thing.  But when they downgrade to G5, were they even the 2 deep behind the starter?  Those guys were probably rated 4*/5* out of HS so that's their only selling point when transferring.  Seems we(SDSU) always get sucked into their "potential" as a shortcut instead of signing a recruit and coach him up.

21 hours ago, aztech said:

Still, aren't you tired of bringing in P5 guys only to watch them bomb out?  When P5 QBs transfer to another P5 team, that's one thing.  But when they downgrade to G5, were they even the 2 deep behind the starter?  Those guys were probably rated 4*/5* out of HS so that's their only selling point when transferring.  Seems we(SDSU) always get sucked into their "potential" as a shortcut instead of signing a recruit and coach him up.

Coach Hoke is not afraid to shake some trees and turn over rocks to find a qb.

If Haskell or Maybin were the guy, they would not be bringing in three new qb's for next season.

Just my .02¢ worth.

Americans Mayor

2 hours ago, Spaztecs said:

Coach Hoke is not afraid to shake some trees and turn over rocks to find a qb.

If Haskell or Maybin were the guy, they would not be bringing in three new qb's for next season.

Just my .02¢ worth.

When you rely too much on somebody else's QB then we'll never sign a QB recruit who could set a foundation for the program.  News travels fast and dubious reputations are hard to shake.  Just when a transfer proves his worth, he's graduating.  They don't come in ready, they have to learn the system first.  

On 12/19/2021 at 6:39 PM, badfish said:

Very much disagree. Burmeister is average which is a big improvement over what we’ve had. Look at his YPA, he can make throws like below. One of the biggest issues this year was teams could not only stack the box, they could also play man to man and physical because of no vertical threat. If haskell beats him out then great! If not haskell would still only be a redshirt sophomore and in line to start for 2023-2024 season with good progression. Mayden does seem like the coaches have soured on him but i don’t think it’s an indictment of haskell as poster said above.

1 hour ago, sdsuphilip4 said:

Very much disagree. Burmeister is average which is a big improvement over what we’ve had. Look at his YPA, he can make throws like below. One of the biggest issues this year was teams could not only stack the box, they could also play man to man and physical because of no vertical threat. If haskell beats him out then great! If not haskell would still only be a redshirt sophomore and in line to start for 2023-2024 season with good progression. Mayden does seem like the coaches have soured on him but i don’t think it’s an indictment of haskell as poster said above.

For once I’d like to not settle with average. I know it won’t happen, but it’d love a FCS or lower G5 guy who’s put up big numbers over BB3, who VT fans admit they won’t miss.

On 12/21/2021 at 11:56 AM, aztech said:

Ryan Katz was quite good for us for half a season until an injury ended his career. The Maxwell kid from Kentucky was pretty good too.

The only true "bomb out" I can recall was Jake Rodrigues and to refresh folks' recollection, he hardly saw the field in two years at Oregon. Burmeister, OTOH, started about half of VA Tech's games the last two years and his cumulative QB rating of 133.9 against better competition than we typically paly beats the heck out of the guys we've started the last few years.

1 hour ago, 818SUDSFan said:

Ryan Katz was quite good for us for half a season until an injury ended his career. The Maxwell kid from Kentucky was pretty good too.

The only true "bomb out" I can recall was Jake Rodrigues and to refresh folks' recollection, he hardly saw the field in two years at Oregon. Burmeister, OTOH, started about half of VA Tech's games the last two years and his cumulative QB rating of 133.9 against better competition than we typically paly beats the heck out of the guys we've started the last few years.

We had a different OC when Katz came here.  Overall I think we're upgrading from the days of Chapman and Agnew.  Johnson eventually became an improvement.  Next season should be very telling about this coaching staff, which is their 3rd year turnaround.

On 12/6/2021 at 4:11 PM, badfish said:

Yea WTF happened Steve

well because of poor eyesight and other issues  I usually pour out my screed. copy it look at in a program with large print correct and replace the text.. got distracted sorry guys

"Everything that does not destroy you makes you stronger except Aztec Football "

Freddy Nietzsche

Here's a question for you guys. San Diego State has a bit of a dilemma particularly on its offensive line where it's losing one all American, one all conference player, maybe our center .. They have some really good young lineman who were very heavily recruited but all are freshman or sophomores who haven't played much.  Do you replace the guys who graduated or  declared for the draft early with portal guys ? Or do you replace the players you've lost with the young guys which may not produce the best season but secures the future. The problem is if these guys have to sit a year maybe two and when you bring in somebody with two years they're likely to jump into the portal. That happened already with one of our better backups Capra. I don't know I guess it really is up to how good are the replacements on the portal if you're not that good just average I wouldn't wanna lose a really good young player to squeeze out a little more experience.

"Everything that does not destroy you makes you stronger except Aztec Football "

Freddy Nietzsche

2 hours ago, steveem said:

Here's a question for you guys. San Diego State has a bit of a dilemma particularly on its offensive line where it's losing one all American, one all conference player, maybe our center .. They have some really good young lineman who were very heavily recruited but all are freshman or sophomores who haven't played much.  Do you replace the guys who graduated or  declared for the draft early with portal guys ? Or do you replace the players you've lost with the young guys which may not produce the best season but secures the future. The problem is if these guys have to sit a year maybe two and when you bring in somebody with two years they're likely to jump into the portal. That happened already with one of our better backups Capra. I don't know I guess it really is up to how good are the replacements on the portal if you're not that good just average I wouldn't wanna lose a really good young player to squeeze out a little more experience.

Screwed GIF by South Park

Americans Mayor

9 hours ago, steveem said:

well because of poor eyesight and other issues  I usually pour out my screed. copy it look at in a program with large print correct and replace the text.. got distracted sorry guys

My bad Steve, didn’t mean to come off as an ass. I thought it was intentional. Merry Christmas 

9 hours ago, steveem said:

Idk how we struggled so much with Dunkle and Thomas getting praise like that. Pass pro was average, but run blocking was definitely sub-par. Regardless, we’ve recruited really good OL prospects and I’d prefer they get a shot, even if it’s early, as they likely have a higher ceiling than a P5 washout from the portal. If they’re as good as advertised and not TRFR, then let’s get them in early. Would hate to see us waste Massueli/Simmons and have them leave just because we filled the gap for 1-2 years with a mediocre backup from Wazzu, Rutgers or something.