Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

e-zone99

AAC Board

A friendly reminder that SDSU is 5-2 vs the Pac 12 since 2016 

(W) 2016 Cal 45-40
(W) 2017 at ASU 30-20
(W) 2017 Stanford 20-17
(L) 2018 at Stanford 31-10
(W) 2018 ASU 28-20
(W) 2019 UCLA 23-14
(L) 2020 Colorado 20-10

and SDSU is 2-0 vs AAC all time
(W) 2015 Cincinnati (Hawaii Bowl) 42-7
(W) 2016 Houston (LV Bowl) 34-10

Please carry on with your Pac-12 vs AAC arguments without considering the MWC (which is 13-10 vs the AAC all time). 

22 minutes ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

Based on namesake maybe but not by on the field product. Most of those pac schools have been atrocious, there’s only two aac schools that have been atrocious over the years.

I would call going winless pretty atrocious.

Did anybody in the AAC do that?

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

3 hours ago, Ibanez said:

Memphis is the only AAC school that would be favored in any of those games.

I was gonna say, I don't know about the other AAC teams but I like that potential matchup...I'd love to sign a home-home with em.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

43 minutes ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

I’d take a winless season + undefeated season over two 10-2 seasons in the MW  any day, and so would you if you were honest.

Sure you would.  You wouldnt be you otherwise.

But since we went 25-1 over 2 seasons without the ignominy of a winless season...

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

1 hour ago, RSF said:

Sure you would.  You wouldnt be you otherwise.

But since we went 25-1 over 2 seasons without the ignominy of a winless season...

Did you a lot of good, you’re falling into obscurity. Our winless season was the best thing to happen to us at the time and now we have more notoriety than ever, and that’s with a bad 6-4 season last year.  

26 minutes ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

Did you a lot of good, you’re falling into obscurity. Our winless season was the best thing to happen to us at the time and now we have more notoriety than ever, and that’s with a bad 6-4 season last year.  

I live in the south  and truth be told there is almost never a mention of the AAC on the on ANY of the sports channels I listen to. 

Blue Turf and their fans gets mentioned ( in a very negative way) quite often. 

But at least to Boise fans that's an acknowledgement  

Also, the SEC,ACC,Big 12 , Pac and Big 10 get dissected frequently.  They ARE the recognized P5 here in football central. 

AAC is not.

37 minutes ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

Got us a seat at the table, where we are doing just fine, thanks.  While UCF is stuck at the kids table where few care about them.  So yeah, it did do a lot of good.

And you might want to check on the definition of notoriety.  Its applicable, just not in the way you think.  A UCF degree at work, I suppose.

20 minutes ago, RSF said:

Got us a seat at the table, where we are doing just fine, thanks.  While UCF is stuck at the kids table where few care about them.  So yeah, it did do a lot of good.

And you might want to check on the definition of notoriety.  Its applicable, just not in the way you think.  A UCF degree at work, I suppose.

A lot of good it did you!!!!   Only an extra 40 million a year.  Psshhhh.

On 6/21/2021 at 11:33 AM, sean327 said:

You are correct. I went to few ECU games when I was stationed in NC. Their fans support the program no matter what. Their tailgating game is pretty amazing too. There are dudes cooking whole hogs in the parking lot before games.

Fire Apple GIF by Pirate's Parley

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

1 hour ago, Ibanez said:

Yep. I've lived in the south and traveled all the time. In Nashville and Memphis there are more Tennessee Vols fans. In Memphis their might be more Ole Miss fans as well. No one cares about UAB. On that campus everyone wears Crimson Tide shirts! (The AAC's most likely add.)

Tulsa and Tulane might as well not exist. No one cares about USF.

UCF I'll admit has a fan base but it's not even in the same universe as FSU or the Gators. The Hurricane fans are slowly vanishing for whatever reason.

ECU has fans but only because the Triangle teams are smug and no one outside of the triangle can stand those schools. But they are also far enough away from any other P5 school to have the area for themselves. App State, Marshall, and Ga Southern also have a large portion of their state for themselves.

More people care about Ohio State in Cincinnati. No one cares about SMU. Houston is the forth most popular college team in Houston.

The AAC teams get less coverage than the high school teams in some cases. I stayed at Land Between The Lakes in West Tennessee for three weeks in 2019 during the first half of the season. News talked about the Vols, the UK Wildcats, the other SEC schools, and then the Top 25. After that they did local games. So Memphis, MTSU and Western Kentucky. This was a Nashville station buy it shows how low on the agenda the AAC is.

Capturing a tiny market doesn't really do anybody any good. Memphis brings more football (39k vs 33k) and basketball (14k vs 5k) fans compared to Boise State. It's not even close. And apparently there's lots of room to grow for Memphis. Boise is maxed out.

2 hours ago, Ibanez said:

Yep. I've lived in the south and traveled all the time. In Nashville and Memphis there are more Tennessee Vols fans. In Memphis their might be more Ole Miss fans as well. No one cares about UAB. On that campus everyone wears Crimson Tide shirts! (The AAC's most likely add.)

Tulsa and Tulane might as well not exist. No one cares about USF.

UCF I'll admit has a fan base but it's not even in the same universe as FSU or the Gators. The Hurricane fans are slowly vanishing for whatever reason.

ECU has fans but only because the Triangle teams are smug and no one outside of the triangle can stand those schools. But they are also far enough away from any other P5 school to have the area for themselves. App State, Marshall, and Ga Southern also have a large portion of their state for themselves.

More people care about Ohio State in Cincinnati. No one cares about SMU. Houston is the forth most popular college team in Houston.

The AAC teams get less coverage than the high school teams in some cases. I stayed at Land Between The Lakes in West Tennessee for three weeks in 2019 during the first half of the season. News talked about the Vols, the UK Wildcats, the other SEC schools, and then the Top 25. After that they did local games. So Memphis, MTSU and Western Kentucky. This was a Nashville station buy it shows how low on the agenda the AAC is.

partially accurate. around these parts we get the 'walmart fans' they support Memphis basketball (Tigers/Grizz) and whichever SEC football team is peaking that season out of UT, Ole Miss, MSU, Ark, Vandy. They have an old t-shirt from walmart for each of those SEC teams even though they've never set foot on campus.

Memphis' fan base is the Memphis metro and Madison county (Jackson TN) areas

also, lots of Murray State hoops fans up there where you were staying...they have a proud mid-major hoops program

mem skyline sig.jpeg

33 minutes ago, Koji Vu said:

Capturing a tiny market doesn't really do anybody any good. Memphis brings more football (39k vs 33k) and basketball (14k vs 5k) fans compared to Boise State. It's not even close. And apparently there's lots of room to grow for Memphis. Boise is maxed out.

Memphis football is still recovering from 32 long years of suck...zero bowl games from 1971 to 2003

now, finally, we're starting to turn some of those 'walmart fans' I mentioned.

Memphis also took over Lambuth College in Jackson TN and renamed it The University of Memphis at Lambuth. That action along with the Memphis grads who have taken jobs in Jackson gives us a strong base there. Madison County is 100k people and is actually a rated TV DMA (#176)

mem skyline sig.jpeg

13 hours ago, RSF said:

I forgot you’re a tcu fan; explains a lot, I see why you’re acting so threatened all the time now.

2 hours ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

Why are people here digging the aac for their coverage? How does that make any sense to you at all? It feels like I’m hearing virgins complain about how everyone else is the problem, it’s asinine.

What coverage?  

12 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

What coverage?  

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2019/03/20/ap-source-american-athletic-makes-12-year-tv-deal-with-espn/39229011/

The American's deal will result in some football games being broadcast on ABC. Other football and basketball games will appear on ESPN's cable television networks, including ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU.

But most basketball and other AAC sports will be provided only to those who subscribe to ESPN-plus, a separate digital platform that costs just under $5 a month.

there you go...most football games sans FCS contests will appear on one of the networks in bold along with roughly 34% of basketball contests (aka the games folks actually want to see)

that's outstanding coverage IMHO.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

Just now, UofMTigers said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2019/03/20/ap-source-american-athletic-makes-12-year-tv-deal-with-espn/39229011/

there you go...most football games sans FCS contests will appear on one of the networks in bold along with roughly 34% of basketball contests (aka the games folks actually want to see)

that's outstanding coverage IMHO.

Weird I see several non FCS games on the streaming app already.