Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

smltwnrckr

I'll hand it to the catholics... they have some balls

CBS News: U.S. bishops approve "teaching document" that may rebuke Biden and other Catholic politicians who support abortion rights.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/bishops-possible-rebuke-joe-biden-communion-abortion-rights/?ftag=CNM-00-10aag7e

I mean, maybe their teaching documents would mean something if they hadn't been protecting priests who rape children for the last... forever.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

41 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

CBS News: U.S. bishops approve "teaching document" that may rebuke Biden and other Catholic politicians who support abortion rights.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/bishops-possible-rebuke-joe-biden-communion-abortion-rights/?ftag=CNM-00-10aag7e

I mean, maybe their teaching documents would mean something if they hadn't been protecting priests who rape children for the last... forever.

will hit a large number of catholics.  I wonder why they don't rebuke half the congregation?

44 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

The bishops. Ugh. I won’t defend them. They need not to be delving into politics. Pisses me off.

Just now, Billings said:

will hit a large number of catholics.  I wonder why they don't rebuke half the congregation?

It’s limited to politicians. But they can still bite me.

4 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

It’s limited to politicians. But they can still bite me.

Thus the hypocrisy, politicians only

15 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

The bishops. Ugh. I won’t defend them. They need not to be delving into politics. Pisses me off.

Yea I meant the church more than the people. But people like my mother in law and the little lady in my neighborhood who walks with a rosary every day and has a defund planned parenthood sign on her door... they listen.

Bishops. In America. How many of those guys to this day think and say the press and the liberal elites have it out for them and that's why the church was "unfairly" targeted for that whole +++++ing little kids thing?

Makes the  blood boil.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

1 minute ago, smltwnrckr said:

Yea I meant the church more than the people. But people like my mother in law and the little lady who walks with a rosary every day and has a defund planned parenthood sign on her door... they listen.

Bishops. In America. How many of those guys to this day think and say the press and the liberal elites have it out for them and that's why the church was unfairly targeted for that whole +++++ing little kids thing. 

Makes the  blood boil.

It does. The bishops have always had a pretty far right lean. And I’m not sure they have the moral authority they think they do, even within the church, for all the reasons you mention.

Sometimes I wonder if I should just be an Episcopalian.

5 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

It does. The bishops have always had a pretty far right lean. And I’m not sure they have the moral authority they think they do, even within the church, for all the reasons you mention.

It's one thing to make a statement, but denying sacraments to a sinner comes off as almost literally playing god to me.

3 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

It's one thing to make a statement, but denying sacraments to a sinner comes off as almost literally playing god to me.

Or at least playing Pope. Either way, this is overreach. And considering the makeup of U.S. parishioners and the anger at the bishops for the molestation scandals, this will alienate a good number of U.S. Catholics.

Catholic teaching changed in 2018 and now says the death penalty is wrong since it is also taking a life.

https://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/cfaith/documents/rc_con_cfaith_doc_20180801_catechismo-penadimorte_en.html

The US Bishops have pushed for the elimination of the death penalty for 3 decades.

I wonder if they will be consistent and also include in the teaching document those who support the death penalty.

33 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

I knew an Episcopalian priest who switched to being a Catholic priest when his old denomination became too liberal for him. He was married with kids and received the Pastoral Provision. He never had a parish since he was married just worked other ministries.

10 minutes ago, FresnoFacts said:

I knew an Episcopalian priest who switched to being a Catholic priest when his old denomination became too liberal for him. He was married with kids and received the Pastoral Provision. He never had a parish since he was married just worked other ministries.

Was he a priest or deacon?

3 hours ago, NVGiant said:

Well if it makes you feel better, the pope has to approve it and he pretty much is telling them to pound sand.  

3 hours ago, NVGiant said:

Or at least playing Pope. Either way, this is overreach. And considering the makeup of U.S. parishioners and the anger at the bishops for the molestation scandals, this will alienate a good number of U.S. Catholics.

Speaking of the pope what’s he got to say about the above. 

7 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

He'll go where the $$$ lead him - that's the basis of most western based religions 

Damn dude,  you’re further down on organized religion than I am. Funny to hear some on this board get their panties in a wad because Biden might not get the wafer and grape juice. Oh shit I messed up that’s communion. 

2 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Damn dude,  you’re further down on organized religion than I am. Funny to hear some on this board get their panties in a wad because Biden might not get the wafer and grape juice. Oh shit I messed up that’s communion. 

Biden, being older than I am, probably still grasps the 'old time religion' mantra..........But while he's a professed Catholic, I'm not sure he's 100% by the book

I've never been religious, cared much about religion, was compelled to "find" religion or even have any need for religion - Some aspects of it give people a security blanket, but for most western religions it's a money making machine & a historical tool to control masses of people.

The irony is that some see any governmental control as evil, but they willingly adhere to some churches religious rules ...........Govt can't tell me who I can bake a cake for or that I have to wear a mask........but then their religion has them jumping thru hoops, wearing hats, hair, beards, underwear, can't eat this, can't drink that, have to give $$, etc etc - It's a means of control that they can't seem to grasp yet willingly go along with 

11 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

Biden, being older than I am, probably still grasps the 'old time religion' mantra..........But while he's a professed Catholic, I'm not sure he's 100% by the book

I've never been religious, cared much about religion, was compelled to "find" religion or even have any need for religion - Some aspects of it give people a security blanket, but for most western religions it's a money making machine & a historical tool to control masses of people.

The irony is that some see any governmental control as evil, but they willingly adhere to some churches religious rules ...........Govt can't tell me who I can bake a cake for or that I have to wear a mask........but then their religion has them jumping thru hoops, wearing hats, hair, beards, underwear, can't eat this, can't drink that, have to give $$, etc etc - It's a means of control that they can't seem to grasp yet willingly go along with 

Most people have their hangups and different ways of dealing with them. My younger brother was in a religious cult for 13 years. He finally saw through the facade and left and became a normal person. And government control is evil.