Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bornontheblue

Toyota 4 Runner.

I have a 2010 Trail Edition.  I know that's 11 years old but they still look the same pretty much.

Pros - kind of a jack of all trades, reliable, confident off road - the kdds suspension system is cool, easy to clean, love the material the seats are made out of.  Good "adventure" platform.

Cons - city and highway comfort is sub-optimal. It's a stiff, mid-size truck. Have to keep the tires balanced really well or you get some wobble at highway speeds.   It's a known issue.  Sometimes I wish it were a hair bigger but it turns nice and tight and is relatively agile so that's a fair trade I guess.  The v-6 engine is a little underpowered.  It will keep up but just doesn't want to give you much when you step on it.  

There was a thread on this not too long ago, can’t remember the name.  Anyhow, I said I’m a huge 4Runner fan but won’t buy one until the entire car is updated interior and exterior as well as technology.  

I’ve got a ‘19 JGC Summit and moving to a 4Runner would be a step down.  Also, I’m not sure this is the greatest market to be car shopping right now.  I’ve been hearing about used car prices soaring because lack of new inventory.  

1 minute ago, tailingpermit said:

There was a thread on this not too long ago, can’t remember the name.  Anyhow, I said I’m a huge 4Runner fan but won’t buy one until the entire car is updated interior and exterior as well as technology.  

I’ve got a ‘19 JGC Summit and moving to a 4Runner would be a step down.  Also, I’m not sure this is the greatest market to be car shopping right now.  I’ve been hearing about used car prices soaring.  

I dipped my toes in the used car market for a bit while waiting for the insurance estimate to be finished after we got rear-ended recently. Let's just say I'm glad the insurance is covering the repair and not making us go out and try and find a new car right now!

5 minutes ago, misplacedcowboy said:

I dipped my toes in the used car market for a bit while waiting for the insurance estimate to be finished after we got rear-ended recently. Let's just say I'm glad the insurance is covering the repair and not making us go out and try and find a new car right now!

Yeah, I looked for the closest Jeep dealer to schedule an oil change and was curious to see what their new inventory was.  They don’t have any of the upper trim levels for the JGC.  

10 minutes ago, tailingpermit said:

Yeah, I looked for the closest Jeep dealer to schedule an oil change and was curious to see what their new inventory was.  They don’t have any of the upper trim levels for the JGC.  

We took our Highlander in to a local dealership to get a tow hitch installed this week. They gave us a really solid offer on the car and suggested we look to change vehicles. I looked out at the lot and said "well, that's nice, but it looks like I'd have to walk to the bank to cash it". The sales guy laughed and sent me on my way.

10 minutes ago, tailingpermit said:

Wouldn’t he still be paying today’s prices 6 months from now if he did that?

Everybody is paying msrp here. I doubt that will change for a year or so. Just no chips. I guess you can wait a year and hope it gets better. I bought a crosstrek a month ago $1,000 under msrp and was happy

I talked with a dealer in rural Nebraska.  His customers are mostly farmers and they trade about every two years.  He told me that he was selling used F-150's with 30,000 plus miles for more than he sold them for brand new, two years ago.  It's not a good time to buy a car.

As for the Rav4 mentioned above.  My son bought a used one a couple of years ago.  I just did a cross country trip with him and I'll tell you that it is a very solid vehicle.  Not my cup of tea (way too small for my fat ass) but that is a damn good car.  I ended up doing most of the driving, but I was impressed with it.

18 hours ago, bornontheblue said:

I am thinking about getting a 4 Runner. Anybody here bought one of the newer ones. 

Maybe I get the Taco TRD Offroad. 

I have a 2016, a plain SR5 that I bought used four years ago out of Nampa. I’m not a car guy, so take this for what it’s worth. It’s perfect for what I needed: a ride that can get up and down the mountain in winter with ease, can get into some tougher-to-reach camping areas, and can tow a small trailer. Plus gas mileage is decent for what it is, an SUV that can actually get off payment, though don’t expect to blow anybody off the line. I beat the crap out of it, and it never has had a single issue. I could sell it for about $1000 more than I bought it, so new may be the better way to go right now.

Also, it triggers anti-vaxxers with small penises.

I love Toyota's. My first car was a Corolla and I put 300k on that thing, sold it for $500 and saw it driving one day about 8 months after that. I knew it was my car because I'd put an odd dent in the fender backing into a pole once. 

21 hours ago, bornontheblue said:

I am thinking about getting a 4 Runner. Anybody here bought one of the newer ones. 

Maybe I get the Taco TRD Offroad. 

I picked up a Gen 3 with an eye at an overland-type build for camping etc. After getting one I understand why they have so many fans. No gimmicks or creature comforts in the older ones. Like a Honda motor, if the battery is somewhat good, it'll probably start when you need it. It crawls like a sonofabitch too. 

Never had a 4 Runner, but have been loyal Toyota customer nearly 30 years.  From what I have heard, that would be a solid choice.

Dad worked his career with GM, but I couldn't stand the crap they sold in 1980's forward. Owned Corolla (1999), Prizm with GM discount (1997, 2001), Camry (1987, 2005, 2007), Sienna (2008, 2017), T100 inherited (1996).  Some of vehicles were new or cream puff used, some were older used for our 5 kids.  Kids are all grown up now, currently have 2017 Sienna LE, 07 Camry SE V6, 1996 T100 Extended Cab SR5 4X4 with Factory Enkei rims, Camper Shell & Carpet Kit, 120,000 miles. All extremely reliable, not a major problem with any of them (I took auto shop in HS, do most maintenance and repair myself).  Considering a 2022 Tundra Crew Cab that is finally offered with 6.5 ft bed.  Not sure if I will go with the new Turbo V6 or hybrid (V8 no longer offered). I will wait till availability increases and prices settled down.

110926run_defense710.jpg