Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IanforHeisman

Saw a badger for the first time today

1 hour ago, bornontheblue said:

This is a good question fir @halfmanhalfbronco

Depends on the time of year @IanforHeisman.  Right now they are up higher, high but still close.  The closest pack to Boise right now would likely be the Thorn Creek pack or the Ola Valley pack.  Not packed up of course, but this time of year they will show fidelity to their home region (new home regions, for new males to the packs).  The Applejack pack IIRC is no more, the others might not be either.  

So, Theoretically you could run into one within an hour of Boise but your best bet if you want to do wolf watching is to talk to the local Fish and Game guy or the locals at a bar first, because you end up having to hike or ATV/Snowmobile a good ways into the back country to get to the packs closest to Boise.

15 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Depends on the time of year @IanforHeisman.  Right now they are up higher, high but still close.  The closest pack to Boise right now would likely be the Thorn Creek pack or the Ola Valley pack.  Not packed up of course, but this time of year they will show fidelity to their home region (new home regions, for new males to the packs).  The Applejack pack IIRC is no more, the others might not be either.  

So, Theoretically you could run into one within an hour of Boise but your best bet if you want to do wolf watching is to talk to the local Fish and Game guy or the locals at a bar first, because you end up having to hike or ATV/Snowmobile a good ways into the back country to get to the packs closest to Boise.

In all your travels in the northwest backcountry have you ever seen evidence of Sasquatch ? 

6 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

A couple weeks ago here, they trapped an adult mountain lion up in a tree next to where I get coffee at every morning. I didn't see it, personally, though. The craziest "wildlife" I've seen in the City here since I've been here are 2 coyotes...one trotting through Dolores Park late one night, and one having a nice little saunter down Mission Street really late on another night. Very cool and very surprising.

Yea I saw a coyote trotting down my sidewalk in town once here too. Indonlive near a big creek that heads out to the sticks so they probably go up and down that corridor and then pop into the neighborhoods to get stray chihuahuas.

My understanding is you dont have to go far outside of developed sf and the bay for there to be cougars. They're just cagey and Wiley so people dont see them often. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

There used to be a bald eagle pair loving just to thrle west of Pacheco pass near casa de fruita. They may still be there, but I havent seen them in maybe a year. I used to see them every couple times in would drive by. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

1 minute ago, Joe from WY said:

I had 2 friends drive over here from the Valley about 2 weeks ago and they had a big bald eagle fly right across their hood going over the Altamont.

Are there perigrine Falcons in the city? I know they do really well further north like in portland and Seattle, but dplidnt know if they life this far south.

I've heard that it's not that unusual for there tonbe some big time meeting in Seattle skyscrapers and have a pigeon explode in front of everyone just outside the window cuz a falcon smashed it at 200 mph. That would be a trip.

Typing on my phone sux,  apologies for the typos.

3 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Wow didn’t know they were an hour away is all.. I’m not experienced enough to really go searching the backcountry to find them, but hopefully I’ll get lucky someday and they’ll show up somewhere accessible. Going to Yellowstone this summer although I’m not sure if they have wolves around there or not. 

11 minutes ago, IanforHeisman said:

Wow didn’t know they were an hour away is all.. I’m not experienced enough to really go searching the backcountry to find them, but hopefully I’ll get lucky someday and they’ll show up somewhere accessible. Going to Yellowstone this summer although I’m not sure if they have wolves around there or not. 

Lulz  there are a bunch of packs in that area.  Again...just got to reach em.

If you would like to coordinate days off with yourself, your family and I next spring or even later this summer....I can bring you as close as you can get.  You would at least hear them every night, though I can not promise you would see any.  Maybe a 10% chance a day you would and only if you wanted to spend 3-4 days being causal about it.  If you really wanted to put in the miles, or rent some vehicles (ATV, Snowmobile depending on the year) assuming you do not own any, the chances go up.  If you were in a position to spend several consecutive weeks, I could promise sightings 

2 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

Yeah they nest up in the Financial District by the PG&E building. I've never seen them, but they're there. Apparently a bunch of chicks just hatched in the nest they have going up there.

Also, and what may be the coolest wildlife in SF, we have a lot of wild parrots...you see them all the way from Telegraph Hill, through North Beach, and down into the highrises of the Financial District. Probably the coolest things I've seen in town.

Yea the parrots are unique. But I +++++ing hate parrots. My mother in law has one. 

1 hour ago, bornontheblue said:

I was surprised at the free range chickens in Hawaii. I went to the Costco right by the airport in Maui and didn’t expect to see Free range chickens in the parking lot. 

Lol in Kauai those mfers are everywhere.. No one will go hungry there that’s for sure.

Last year I took three trips to my cabin in Wisconsin, due to work from home, I figured I could work for my Wisconsin cabin as easily as Modesto.  I spent the total of 15 weeks back there in 2020. From my windows, I saw black bear, dear, raccoons, gray fox, wild turkeys, bald eagles, beaver, pileated woodpecker, Northern flicker, blue jay, rose-breasted grosbeak, American Robin, Chipmunks, Gray squirrels, red squirrels. Probably more, I just can't remember.

However, I grew up in and vacationed in Wisconsin a lot, never seen a badger so I am quite jealous of hmhb. I even listened to the Wisconsin Badgers football games during the 1960s, Lost darn near every game, they were the laughing stock of the B10 and college football.

110926run_defense710.jpg

1 minute ago, modestobulldog said:

Last year I took three trips to my cabin in Wisconsin, due to work from home, I figured I could work for my Wisconsin cabin as easily as Modesto.  I spent the total of 15 weeks back there in 2020. From my windows, I saw black bear, dear, raccoons, gray fox, wild turkeys, bald eagles, beaver, pileated woodpecker, Northern flicker, blue jay, rose-breasted grosbeak, American Robin, Chipmunks, Gray squirrels, red squirrels. Probably more, I just can't remember.

However, I grew up in and vacationed in Wisconsin a lot, never seen a badger so I am quite jealous of hmhb.

I hear there aren't any more wolverines in Michigan, either. There are in the Sierra though.

ezgif-5-959914ff2250.gif.f0cc4fc558f5a154dc6ff5904c80bf34.gif