Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thedude15

Does any fcs conference have a worse stadium situation than the MW? I know some cases are temporary but this is ridiculous

The conference in general has been making big strides in improving all of our sports facilities. The experience for fans over the past 5 and next 5 years will be a very dramatic improvement. Spending over a Billion $$$ takes time and serious commitment from the schools and communities throughout our footprint. I don’t know or care what is happening elsewhere but let’s not underestimate the future effects of what is taking place in the MWC.

37 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

when you consider Hawaii, CSU and SDSU will have that brand new stadium smell all very recently, what other conference can say that?

Well sure in 5 years we will be able to say 4 out of 12 schools are playing in a "new" stadium (less than 10 yrs old) but I am talking abt the situation as it currently stands. 

16 minutes ago, thedude15 said:

Well sure in 5 years we will be able to say 4 out of 12 schools are playing in a "new" stadium (less than 10 yrs old) but I am talking abt the situation as it currently stands. 

But if they are resolving it already, what is the issue at hand?  If two years ago, this thread was made, I would see merit since things were still murky for UH, SDSU and SJSU.  It's like complaining about a neighborhood housing aesthetics when construction has or is taking place on a third of it

1 hour ago, Cougar King said:

Tulane built an on-campus stadium a few years ago. USF and Temple are the only AAC teams that play in NFL stadiums.

Every other AAC team plays on-campus in their own stadium, something most of the MWC will never experience.

if only you would have read a post a couple just North of yours you would have discovered that Memphis doesn't own their own stadium nor is it on campus

8 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

if only you would have read a post a couple just North of yours you would have discovered that Memphis doesn't own their own stadium nor is it on campus

The Liberty Bowl is literally across the street from Memphis's campus 

Cougars fight for Dear ol' UofH

For our alma mater cheer

Fight for Houston University

For victory is near

When the going get so rough and tough

We never worry, CAUSE WE GOT THE STUFF!

So fight! Fight! Fight for Red and White!

And we will go to victory!

11 hours ago, Old_Sparty1857 said:

Why doesn’t the University build its own stadium?  That way the University is in control. 

UH doesn’t have the money.  The Legislature has been trimming state funding for the University for years, expecting it to make up the difference with increased tuition revenue.  Meanwhile enrollment has been declining as tuition rises.  There’s more to the story but that’s the situation in a nutshell.

15 hours ago, thedude15 said:

Lets see

Last I checked SJSU stadium just had a big grass field on one side. I take it that renovation project is not completed yet. So one of the better teams in the MW will be playing in an embarrassing stadium this year (not that it was all that great to start with).

SDSU doesn't have a stadium. They are borrowing one that is over 100 miles away from their campus. 

Hawaii/State of Hawaii let their stadium get in such bad condition it was basically red tagged. Now they are playing on a ridiculous stadium for who knows how long.

Fresno had to shut down a large section not to long ago because of pipe damage. Our stadium is also falling apart. BUT it basically would cost just as much or more to repair (especially if that forces them to make it up to current ADA/other codes) as it would to build a new stadium. So they will let it continue to fall apart until it also gets red tagged like what happen in Hawaii. 

BSU- our "crown jewel" is playing in an ugly erector set stadium. Wish with all their success they just would have built a new stadium instead of putting lipstick on a pig. 

UNLV is playing in an NFL stadium. Personally I am always against a college team playing in a NFL stadium regardless of how nice it might be. UNLV is clearly a second class citizen and playing in a stadium that is way to big.

I am sure some of the other schools also have issues. And yes it will improve when SDSU finishes their stadium/Hawaii's gets built/SJSU finishes the remodel but right know it is terrible

Actually the stadium SDSU will play in again this year is a little UNDER 100 miles from campus.

But then who's counting? Except you. :P

11 hours ago, Headbutt said:

Dang man, that's 88 years.  That is very old by stadium standards.  I would hope that the administration, etc. would cease looking at it as a football stadium and start considering it a "campus facility".  After that many years they need to either embrace it or run away from it.  I hope that they go with the former.

Especially old given this:

San Andreas Fault -- the biggest fault on Earth | San andreas fault,  Earthquake fault lines, Earthquake

14 hours ago, HawaiiMongoose said:

I agree, the UH situation is an embarrassment.  Both the Governor and Legislature dropped the ball by letting Aloha Stadium deteriorate to the point of unusability before even picking a development team to build the replacement.  And knowing that it takes forever to complete public works projects in the Islands, there’s a significant possibility the Warriors will be stuck playing in their temporary on-campus shoebox stadium for longer than the “expected” three seasons.  The only comfort I take in what happened - and it’s small comfort - is that it wasn’t the university itself that screwed up.  UH and the student-athletes and the fans are all victims in this mess.

I remember the UH players in 2007 complaining about lacking soap in the showers of the locker room, the same players who would win the WAC crown the following season.  June Jones had been giving UH it's best seasons ever, and he had been expressing related concerns as well.  It's no wonder that in 2008 he left for SMU of all places.

If you build a bowl in NM someone’s gonna fill it with green chile, or maybe meth, either way, bowl’s aren’t an option for UNM.

I do like the stadium though. Sitting on the west side with the Sandia’s lit up at sunset, absolutely beautiful. Throw in a green chile burger. It’s a pure thing. 

Out of my mind for the Lobos!!