Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sactowndog

Fox News Suit

2 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

What does this little rant have to do with you saying "I don’t remember any left wing site trying actively to delegitimize an election"?   

I don’t in the United States ever recall news sites claiming massive fraud and an illegitimate election.   You are free to post otherwise.   

4 hours ago, retrofade said:

Care to give us the name of the professor and a link to their book?

He is probably referring to a 10 year old book written by Tim Groseclose, Left Turn: How Liberal Media Bias Distorts the American Mind.

The book was based on a research paper that Groseclose first presented in 2003.

Since the book is over 10 years old (using older research) I would prefer to see him do a new bias study. How far right is Fox News now compared to how far left CNN now falls.

OAN and Newsmax, and other media sources on the right didn't even exist in 2011. Breitbart had only been around 3 or 4 years and wasn't very noticed in 2011. How would those score now on the right compared to MSNBC or the NY Times on the left.

Our political behaviors, social behaviors, and polarization have changed dramatically in 10 years. So has the media.

Groseclose left UCLA and is now at George Mason. But he still milks his 10 year old media bias book without, as far as I know, updating the research.

1 hour ago, sactowndog said:

I don’t in the United States ever recall news sites claiming massive fraud and an illegitimate election.   You are free to post otherwise.   

They preached "Russian collusion" for years. They said Trump was an "illegitimate President." 

With Bush it was a stolen election and he too was not a legitimate prez.

Did you sleep through all of that?  

Only a fool would defend any cable network. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

23 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

They preached "Russian collusion" for years. They said Trump was an "illegitimate President." 

With Bush it was a stolen election and he too was not a legitimate prez.

Did you sleep through all of that?  

Only a fool would defend any cable network. 

They said Bush was illegitimate due to hanging chads.   That is very different than saying the system is massively broken and ignoring the results of 50 plus court cases.   Come on even you can see that difference. 

36 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

They said Bush was illegitimate due to hanging chads.   That is very different than saying the system is massively broken and ignoring the results of 50 plus court cases.   Come on even you can see that difference. 

They kept it going his entire 1st term.

No cable news network can claim the high road.

Barack Obama

21 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

They kept it going his entire 1st term.

No cable news network can claim the high road.

Again Trump colluding with Russia to collect dirt on a political opponent is not arguing the entire system is broken.  One is a man who cheated and is corrupt ( which btw Trump has proven is entirely within his character).  The other is claiming our system to elect the President is fundamentally corrupt and broken.   

if you can’t recognize the difference not sure if any hope of reasonable middle ground exists.   

19 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Again Trump colluding with Russia to collect dirt on a political opponent is not arguing the entire system is broken.  One is a man who cheated and is corrupt ( which btw Trump has proven is entirely within his character).  The other is claiming our system to elect the President is fundamentally corrupt and broken.   

if you can’t recognize the difference not sure if any hope of reasonable middle ground exists.   

There was more to the Russian collusion claims than just digging up dirt.

If you're claiming election results were manipulated, you are essentially claiming the election system failed and is broken.  The method used to manipulate the outcome doesn't really matter.

Barack Obama

2 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

If you're claiming election results were manipulated, you are essentially claiming the election system failed and is broken.  The method used to manipulate the outcome doesn't really matter.

No.  

One is the equivalent of what Nixon did but using foreign governments and electronic means.  It is the individual cheating to gain an advantage.   It is an indictment of an individual.

The other is claiming the entire system is corrupt.  It is an indictment if true of the whole system.   

They are worlds apart. 

When Trump won the first time, Hillary conceded immediately and no one claimed votes were altered. Russia did influence the election, but not by changing people’s votes and no news source claimed Hillary actually won because of it.  She lost and moved on immediately and mm

Trump collision investigation resulted in what like 200 indictments that included people in his infer circle.. Let’s not pretend it was a witch hunt that resulted in nothing.  

On 6/12/2021 at 9:12 PM, Aslowhiteguy said:

Worlds apart?  The collusion allegations also included claims of Russian hacking of voting machines.

They wanted you to believe vote counts were manipulated.

Which was proven not to be the case and everyone moved on.   

14 hours ago, modestobulldog said:

Alan Dershowitz kicking ass in lawsuit against CNN, Project Veritas kicking ass against NYT.  Heading to discovery.  

Interesting.  Like I said this issue cuts both ways.  Dershowitz still has to prove malice.   

On 6/12/2021 at 10:42 AM, sactowndog said:

So what responsibility does a news organization have to broadcast the truth versus cover the news.....

Fox isn’t arguing the Big Lie was true.   They are arguing they have a right to cover it.   Interesting case in journalistic ethics and the rights of a free press.  

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-06-10/fox-wants-blank-check-to-broadcast-lies-dominion-tells-judge

Can a news organization spread fascist propaganda with no consequences? 

They do have a right to cover it, but it really depends on how they covered it.  In any case, reporting outlets get sued (and lose) all the time for defamation/bad practices etc.  This is why we have laws.

(I feel the same way about CNN and other people holding them accountable)

I don't think CNN has pivoted left as Fox has pivoted right in the past 10 years (and then now we have other outlets that are even further right, but I digress that's a different topic altogether)

The last I saw--where they did random fact checking of all the major news outlets--I believe all the news outlets scored in the 90's.  Most of what they report is true--the bias comes from 1. What they choose to report and 2. How they slant the story when they report it.

2 hours ago, sactowndog said:

Which was proven not to be the case and everyone moved on.   

After 3 years of constant lying including claims of evidence they never had.  They knew it was a witch hunt from day 1.

Barack Obama

On 6/12/2021 at 9:42 AM, sactowndog said:

So what responsibility does a news organization have to broadcast the truth versus cover the news.....

Fox isn’t arguing the Big Lie was true.   They are arguing they have a right to cover it.   Interesting case in journalistic ethics and the rights of a free press.  

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-06-10/fox-wants-blank-check-to-broadcast-lies-dominion-tells-judge

Can a news organization spread fascist propaganda with no consequences? 

Yes.

Freedom of the press and all that noise 

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

11 hours ago, FresnoFacts said:

LOL.

:rotflmfao:

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor