Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sactowndog

Fox News Suit

So what responsibility does a news organization have to broadcast the truth versus cover the news.....

Fox isn’t arguing the Big Lie was true.   They are arguing they have a right to cover it.   Interesting case in journalistic ethics and the rights of a free press.  

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-06-10/fox-wants-blank-check-to-broadcast-lies-dominion-tells-judge

Can a news organization spread fascist propaganda with no consequences? 

41 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

So what responsibility does a news organization have to broadcast the truth versus cover the news.....

Fox isn’t arguing the Big Lie was true.   They are arguing they have a right to cover it.   Interesting case in journalistic ethics and the rights of a free press.  

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-06-10/fox-wants-blank-check-to-broadcast-lies-dominion-tells-judge

For the most part, yes. But they could be responsible for damages in this case. Not because Fox is spreading fascist garbage, but because they directly injured Dominion. We’ll see. It’s a tough hill to climb.

They do not have to broadcast “the truth” though. 

11 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

For the most part, yes. But they could be responsible for damages in this case. Not because Fox is spreading fascist garbage, but because they directly injured Dominion. We’ll see. It’s a tough hill to climb.

They do not have to broadcast “the truth” though. 

I definitely interested in your thoughts on this topic.  They directly injured Dominion by knowing repeating un-truths.  Do “news” organizations have a blank check?   Where do they have some obligation not to blindly or in their case eagerly repeat propaganda? 

2 hours ago, sactowndog said:

I definitely interested in your thoughts on this topic.  They directly injured Dominion by knowing repeating un-truths.  Do “news” organizations have a blank check?   Where do they have some obligation not to blindly or in their case eagerly repeat propaganda? 

They could be held responsible if Dominion can convince a jury that they knowingly did so. But it’s still a high bar. In public figure cases, which offer the most protections for news organizations, you essentially have to prove malice. Ignorance or incompetence can be a defense.

1 minute ago, NVGiant said:

They could be held responsible if they can convince a jury that they knowingly did so. But it’s still a high bar. In public figure cases, which offer the most protections for news organizations, you essentially have to prove malice. Ignorance or incompetence can be a defense.

So in other words you would have to believe Fox News was that stupid or negligent to let them off the hook. 

1 hour ago, sactowndog said:

CNN & MSNBC spread propaganda every hour of every day.  It's cable news. It's what they do.  

FOX is just is just the other side of the same cow pie.

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

Maybe it’s just my bias not allowing me to see clearly but I don’t see CNN as an equal to Fox News just from the other side. Who is the left’s Rush Limbaugh? I just don’t see the mainstream radicalization from the left as I do the right. 

3 hours ago, IanforHeisman said:

Maybe it’s just my bias not allowing me to see clearly but I don’t see CNN as an equal to Fox News just from the other side. Who is the left’s Rush Limbaugh? I just don’t see the mainstream radicalization from the left as I do the right. 

CNN may be the worse of the three. They used to have the nickname, Clinton News Network.  They may be the king of "Fake news." 

Arguing over which cable news network is best is like arguing over which is the cleanest turd. 

Barack Obama

2 hours ago, sactowndog said:

So in other words you would have to believe Fox News was that stupid or negligent to let them off the hook. 

Indeed. Freedom to be irresponsible. God bless America!

Incidentally, if it’s a private citizen, news organizations have far less leeway.

1 hour ago, IanforHeisman said:

A professor from UCLA did an extensive bias study on media and then wrote a book about it. He determined that CNN is quite a bit more left leaning than Fox is to the right, and MSNBC is much worse. 

CNN and MSNBC are always getting in trouble with writing bogus stories, blogger declares love for Hitler, getting busted for ethics, plagiarism, ok with masterbating on the air, e

kat.jpg

9 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

A professor from UCLA did an extensive bias study on media and then wrote a book about it. He determined that CNN is quite a bit more left leaning than Fox is to the right, and MSNBC is much worse. 

CNN and MSNBC are always getting in trouble with writing bogus stories, blogger declares love for Hitler, getting busted for ethics, plagiarism, ok with masterbating on the air, e

Care to give us the name of the professor and a link to their book?

4 hours ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

CNN & MSNBC spread propaganda every hour of every day.  It's cable news. It's what they do.  

FOX is just is just the other side of the same cow pie.

Can always count on a right wing con job to come with the whataboutism.  I don’t remember any left wing site trying actively to delegitimize an election.   

At this point is isn’t really about left or right.  It’s more about how far does freedom of the press go to allow you to knowingly and falsely attack a private entity.  If the standard is malice it will be close.   

57 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Can always count on a right wing con job to come with the whataboutism.  I don’t remember any left wing site trying actively to delegitimize an election.   

At this point is isn’t really about left or right.  It’s more about how far does freedom of the press go to allow you to knowingly and falsely attack a private entity.  If the standard is malice it will be close.   

Try watching without the blue glasses on.

Your statement is as stupid as it is dishonest. 

Barack Obama

1 hour ago, sactowndog said:

Well in this case Dominion is a private entity.  

It’s a government contractor, which does open it up to scrutiny even as a private company. I don’t know how this case will fall, but it will be interesting. The judiciary has been snipping away at freedom of the press for a while now, so Fox could be in trouble.

10 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Try watching without the blue glasses on.

Your statement is as stupid as it is dishonest. 

Not really but let me go slowly for the challenged.  

This case spans flips left/right boundaries.  Typically it’s the left wing press that does exposes on industry and is shielded by press protections.   In the actions against Dominion the roles are reversed.   It’s a question of to what extent is a legitimate standard to hold the press accountable.   Put the standard too tight and companies will sue more than the do over any investigative journalism.  Put it too lose and newspapers with an axe to grind will have open season.   

So this case is an interesting one to see how it is resolved.  You would see that if your red glasses weren’t blinding you.  

7 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

It’s a government contractor, which does open it up to scrutiny even as a private company. I don’t know how this case will fall, but it will be interesting. The judiciary has been snipping away at freedom of the press for a while now, so Fox could be in trouble.

Yeah it will be interesting to watch.   If it goes to trial and gets appealed it will be interesting to see who files briefs on what side.  

6 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Not really but let me go slowly for the challenged.  

This case spans flips left/right boundaries.  Typically it’s the left wing press that does exposes on industry and is shielded by press protections.   In the actions against Dominion the roles are reversed.   It’s a question of to what extent is a legitimate standard to hold the press accountable.   Put the standard too tight and companies will sue more than the do over any investigative journalism.  Put it too lose and newspapers with an axe to grind will have open season.   

So this case is an interesting one to see how it is resolved.  You would see that if your red glasses weren’t blinding you.  

What does this little rant have to do with you saying "I don’t remember any left wing site trying actively to delegitimize an election"?   

Barack Obama