NeighSayer

MWC vs AAC

28 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

They aren’t contractually obligated afiak. So I doubt they would come unless ESPN wants to pay them a ton for it.

Just checked and they filled up schedule with Charleston Southern.

Boise State did or FSU? Either way that's a bummer.

3 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

they only want a 12 team playoff to make sure any G5 team will have to do a play-in game before playing a top-4 team...

Don’t you see that as a good thing?  The gap from Alabama and Clemson to the rest of college football is significant.   By having a beatable team in the 5-12 range it provides opportunity to show the G5 belong before taking on a top 4 team.  

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Jeffkills said:

Win the games.

Better than nothing.

Also, if BSU goes undefeated, we don't have a 12 seed.

Not sure a 5-12 game is so bad.  Win that game and you get to play the 4 seed which is not Alabama, Clemson or Ohio State.  

• Like 2
3 hours ago, 818SUDSFan said:

For various reasons I won't bother to fully explain, I think 2021 is SJSU's most important football season since 2012.

You managed to go 11-2 in a weakened WAC that year while also convincing Idiot Button Thompson that you were going to pump buzzillion dollars into Spartan Stadium. Both proved to be illusory and particularly because of that, if you guys have a losing season this year after what you accomplished in 2020, it could be devastating for your program. It would also be devastating if you win the MWC West division again yet you can't come close to filling that smallish stadium. Because my guess is if that happens, Brennan WILL leave after this season.

I agree with you that this season is very important, and perhaps as important as 2012 for the reasons you mentioned. 2012 was extremely important because of the inter-conference movement, and having a great season that year just 2 years after what was arguably the worst season in program history up until then was monumental in preventing SJSU from being a team on an island. However, I think you overstate with "devastating" since we were literally the worst program in the country just a couple years ago and have at least been able to turn it around a bit within a few years. But it's arguable that the Ralson/Baldwin/Hill years were even worse than the Tomey/Mac/Caragher/Brennan years since at least 3 of the last four coaches have had at least one winning seasons, all of them have a bowl and we're 3-1 in those bowls during that time. 

I think there's a good chance coach BB is gone after this year no matter what, assuming we have a winning season and at least get to a bowl. If we're in contention for the conference title again, even moreso. You're going to see multiple programs throwing tons of money at him and at a certain point, he has to say yes. But I personally think that can work out well for the program if we hire one of the coordinators to stay as head coach and keep some of the coaching staff for continuity of culture and personnel. I think that would keep enough infrastructure in place, and either way I think you're going to see a drop in 2022 with so many top guys on the roster leaving. 

Also, the WAC wasn't deep in 2012 but the 3 teams at the top were as good as any in the mid majors. La Tech was a tougher offense to stop in 2012 than Fresno was in 2013. We also beat good teams out of conference. SJSU was legit that year and would have been in contention for Conference champs in the MW that year.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, 818SUDSFan said:

At first, that's certain. However, if the G5 representative begins to beat the #5 seed 1/3 of the time or more, that will gradually change.

And that can happen if the #5 seed is caught looking ahead as sometimes happens in the basketball tournament.

Well, I'll agree with that.  If this goes through, we're living in a new house.  We're still in the basement, but this place has a hidden stairwell that we might just find. 

I do think this is just a token opportunity for PR purposes, but....it is an opportunity.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, sactowndog said:

Don’t you see that as a good thing?  The gap from Alabama and Clemson to the rest of college football is significant.   By having a beatable team in the 5-12 range it provides opportunity to show the G5 belong before taking on a top 4 team.  

not of you actually intend to win the title. if the goal is simply to prove 'hey, we belong!' then sure. wearing out your squad before taking on Bama/Clemson isn't very smart IMHO.

I'd prefer 8 teams. P5+1G5+2 At-Large.

1 hour ago, UofMTigers said:

not of you actually intend to win the title. if the goal is simply to prove 'hey, we belong!' then sure. wearing out your squad before taking on Bama/Clemson isn't very smart IMHO.

I'd prefer 8 teams. P5+1G5+2 At-Large.

One step at a time.  The rest of the P5 can’t beat those three programs.  Let’s prove we belong first.  Rome wasn’t built in a day.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
5 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

One step at a time.  The rest of the P5 can’t beat those three programs.  Let’s prove we belong first.  Rome wasn’t built in a day.  

oh, I agree...I like this proposal WAY more than a 4 team playoff.

1 minute ago, UofMTigers said:

oh, I agree...I like this proposal WAY more than a 4 team playoff.

I agree.  I think it is also better than being forced to play Bama and Clemson right out of the gate.  

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

I agree.  I think it is also better than being forced to play Bama and Clemson right out of the gate.  

kinda like making the 16 seeds fight it out in the NCAA tourney before playing a 1 seed...at least one of em will get a NCAA Tourney 'W' before being sacrificed to the 1 seed

14 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

The AAC is better than the MW.  Multiple programs used to be in the P6 Big East.

an interesting post I saw on that 'other' board lol

AttackcoogOne thing I thought was really interesting in the letter was that the AAC actually qualifies as a "AQ" conference under the old criteria that was written into the BCS agreement.  

"AQ conference" was of course the BCS version of a "P5 conference".   The old BCS agreement had a set of criteria approved by the power conferences that, if achieved by any "non-AQ" conference, that conference would be granted "AQ" BCS status (which meant it's champion would be an "automatic qualifier" for a BCS NYD Bowl slot each year).   According to the letter, the AAC has surpassed all three of those required milestones and would qualify as a BCS conference if that agreement was still in force today.

https://andywittry.substack.com/p/american-athletic-conference-requested

11 hours ago, ph90702 said:

The AAC is better than the MW.  Multiple programs used to be in the P6 Big East.

And only Cincinnati of the good Big East programs are in the AAC.  Of the schools from the best Big East years (ie, before Miami left), only Temple is in the AAC.  After Miami left, that is when the Big East started morphing into CUSA 2.0.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, RSF said:

And only Cincinnati of the good Big East programs are in the AAC.  Of the schools from the best Big East years (ie, before Miami left), only Temple is in the AAC.  After Miami left, that is when the Big East started morphing into CUSA 2.0.

Which is fine by us as most of us really enjoyed CUSA 1.0

Cincy, Louisville, Memphis, Houston, Marquette, Depaul, St Louis, etc

11 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

an interesting post I saw on that 'other' board lol

Except for the fact that the BCS claim is shaky at best.  

The actual criteria (replacing BCS with CFP), with covers a 4 year period:

*The evaluation includes the following for each conference (1) the ranking of the highest-ranked team in the final BCSCFP Standings each year (if a conference does not place a team in the final BCSCFP Standings, then its highest-ranked team is determined by the conference member that has the highest average ranking in the computer rankings used in the BCSCFP Standings), (2) the final regular-season rankings of all conference teams in the computer rankings used by the BCSCFP each year, and (3) the number of teams in the top 25 of the final BCSCFP Standings each year, with adjustments to account for differences in the number of members of each conference.

A conference will become the seventhsixth automatic qualifier if it finishes among the top sixfive conferences in both No. 1 and No. 2 and if its ranking in No. 3 is equal to or greater than 50 percent of the conference with the highest ranking in No. 3.

5 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

Which is fine by us as most of us really enjoyed CUSA 1.0

Cincy, Louisville, Memphis, Houston, Marquette, Depaul, St Louis, etc

Wasnt aware Marquette, DePaul and St Louis played football.

13 minutes ago, RSF said:

South Florida was in the Big East.

4 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

And they werent good - hell, Rutgers was better in that time.  'good Big East programs'.  They were the 1st of the CUSA 2.0 teams.

6 minutes ago, RSF said:

Wasnt aware Marquette, DePaul and St Louis played football.

last I looked the money sports are football AND basketball...moreover, it's why we're currently down a member but also have 17 million extra to cover production costs from ESPN+

you have a lot of hate for CUSA.

8 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

and Cincy isn't really a 'Big East' school...where did Cincy, UL, and USF come from again?