Jump to content
NeighSayer

MWC vs AAC

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, NeighSayer said:

One thing has become clear to me since the revelation a 12-team college football playoff is likely. MWC vs. AAC match-ups will become more important than ever as the top 2 G5 conferences. We were already battling it out for the (laughable) “Access Bowl” spot, but that was really just a bone thrown to the G5 without any meaningful route to a national championship. Really not very meaningful in the grand scheme of things. A 12-team CFP, however, is an entirely different animal, and will raise the stakes exponentially between MWC vs AAC matchups. We MUST schedule those games as often as we can…and win them.

I like it; I agree.

We'll schedule UCF, Cincy, USF, and SMU/Houston.

I didn't know the 12 team field had legs.  That's pretty exciting.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this whole thing would help the G5, absolutely, but let's be real about it.  The G5 will have an autobid to the CFP, and that's big but we'll always be the 12 seed.

We now have a shot, but it's not like we just became part of the club.

However, just getting one team to get a shot?  The G5 season just became more interesting.  Our playoff starts on zero week.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

I think this whole thing would help the G5, absolutely, but let's be real about it.  The G5 will have an autobid to the CFP, and that's big but we'll always be the 12 seed.

We now have a shot, but it's not like we just became part of the club.

However, just getting one team to get a shot?  The G5 season just became more interesting.  Our playoff starts on zero week.

Win the games.

Better than nothing.

Also, if BSU goes undefeated, we don't have a 12 seed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

SJSU?

We need to have two winning seasons in a row for once this century before any preseason talk of autobid.

Getting into the ccg in a slobberknocker division and a few losses would be a huge win for sjsu. A dream season isnt impossible, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jeffkills said:

Win the games.

Better than nothing.

Also, if BSU goes undefeated, we don't have a 12 seed.

Depends on who you go undefeated against.  I guarantee no G5 team will get the bye, or the home field advantage in the first round.  This is a PR move designed to put more of the "real" teams into the playoff.  Don't get me wrong, win that first game and there is a new narrative in CFB, but the committee will make that feat as tough as possible.  I'm a fan of it, because it offers a chance to kick down a door, but I have no delusions regarding how it will be approached.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

Depends on who you go undefeated against.  I guarantee no G5 team will get the bye, or the home field advantage in the first round.  This is a PR move designed to put more of the "real" teams into the playoff.  Don't get me wrong, win that first game and there is a new narrative in CFB, but the committee will make that feat as tough as possible.  I'm a fan of it, because it offers a chance to kick down a door, but I have no delusions regarding how it will be approached.

Dude, win the games..........

Boise State can do it; @Tromp & Avalos are innovative and aggressive enough to get in the field as we used to. 

@bsu_alum9

People need to get off the phucking couch, and get their asses to the game, drink, and get nuts on game-days!

No complaints here.

How do you evaluate CSU's commitment and capability to drive the FB program?

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Jeffkills said:

Dude, win the games..........

Boise State can do it; @Tromp & Avalos are innovative and aggressive enough to get in the field as we used to. 

Yeah. Like in the past though, seeding of G5s will be dependent on the success of the P5s that get beaten.

Boise’s success will be tied to Oregon, but will need help from MSU/OSU/BYU if this goes through in ‘23.

I’d be as confident as you if I hadn’t attended the spring game, but that shit rattled me.

IUT58C7F92C-6764-43AD-9288-00912B338B3B.jpeg

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, 818SUDSFan said:

Actually, everything you mention is part of why the AAC has moved ahead of the MW and why the AAC figures to continue to do so.

The only thing the AAC's separation from the MW doesn't have to do with is their embarrassingly stoopid Pea6 campaign.

why yea, it's nice to have a proactive Commish over someone like Craig.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Yeah. Like in the past though, seeding of G5s will be dependent on the success of the P5s that get beaten.

Boise’s success will be tied to Oregon, but will need help from MSU/OSU/BYU if this goes through in ‘23.

I’d be as confident as you if I hadn’t attended the spring game, but that shit rattled me.

IUT58C7F92C-6764-43AD-9288-00912B338B3B.jpeg

It's a Spring Game, bro.

But, yes, I agree with the rest.

This 2024 game was gonna be the home game vs Florida State. Seminoles have or at least had a spot available on their schedule to make up the game with Boise State. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Yeah. Like in the past though, seeding of G5s will be dependent on the success of the P5s that get beaten.

Boise’s success will be tied to Oregon, but will need help from MSU/OSU/BYU if this goes through in ‘23.

I’d be as confident as you if I hadn’t attended the spring game, but that shit rattled me.

IUT58C7F92C-6764-43AD-9288-00912B338B3B.jpeg

It's a Spring Game, bro.

But, yes, I agree with the rest.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Jeffkills said:

Dude, win the games..........

Boise State can do it; @Tromp & Avalos are innovative and aggressive enough to get in the field as we used to. 

@bsu_alum9

People need to get off the phucking couch, and get their asses to the game, drink, and get nuts on game-days!

No complaints here.

How do you evaluate CSU's commitment and capability to drive the FB program?

Man if that ain't the $400,000,000 question.  The commitment of CSU's coach and AD are unquestioned in my mind.  They are absolutely all in on the success of the FB program.  The president is more concerned about being woke, but talks a good game.  Capability?  We'll see.  We're capable of putting all the necessary pieces in place, from facilities to recruiting.  We haven't seen any use of those capabilities, but SA is a new era.  We don't know yet.  Total unknown, as in we could be the first G5 in the CFP, or we could be mediocre forever like Wyoming.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, NeighSayer said:

To even have a shot, there needs to be legitimate access. A playoff, regardless of seeding, opens an avenue. Improbable, yes, but *possible*…which is better than we have now. But for the MWC to consistently claim that spot, we have to make up ground in the perception that the AAC is a significantly better league. Best way to do that is head-to-head.

BTW, there are more than a few who believe Boise State’s 2010 squad could have held their own with any team in the country that year. That Nevada team who came from behind to beat us that year was nothing to sneeze at, either.

An interesting point is the proposal is Top 6 Conference Champions.   Given how down the PAC-12 is it makes winning against the PAC-12 equally important.  A 4-5 loss conference champion could be ranked lower than an undefeated or 1 loss MWC team.  

  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, smltwnrckr said:

The concept of a '4th teir bowl game' is entirely tied to the national title being a premier focus in college football. 

When bowl games are the NIT, then the national title is all that matters. That's the point. 

Well a point that seems to be missed is no conference is locked in.  The verbiage is the top 6 conference champions.   It will be interesting when a 8-4 PAC-12 team wins the conference championship and is ranked versus two 12-0 G5 schools.   

Link to post
Share on other sites

they only want a 12 team playoff to make sure any G5 team will have to do a play-in game before playing a top-4 team...

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

It seems to have worked, a surprise to most, including myself.  I was embarrassed by it, but now with the playoffs extended to the top 6 conferences and news today that the AAC applied for Autonomy status with the NCAA it seems like the fight is suddenly over.

Hot damn! That changes everything for you guys!

  • Cheers 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Headbutt said:

I think this whole thing would help the G5, absolutely, but let's be real about it.  The G5 will have an autobid to the CFP, and that's big but we'll always be the 12 seed.

We now have a shot, but it's not like we just became part of the club.

However, just getting one team to get a shot?  The G5 season just became more interesting.  Our playoff starts on zero week.

At first, that's certain. However, if the G5 representative begins to beat the #5 seed 1/3 of the time or more, that will gradually change.

And that can happen if the #5 seed is caught looking ahead as sometimes happens in the basketball tournament.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, smltwnrckr said:

We need to have two winning seasons in a row for once this century before any preseason talk of autobid.

Getting into the ccg in a slobberknocker division and a few losses would be a huge win for sjsu. A dream season isnt impossible, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. 

For various reasons I won't bother to fully explain, I think 2021 is SJSU's most important football season since 2012.

You managed to go 11-2 in a weakened WAC that year while also convincing Idiot Button Thompson that you were going to pump buzzillion dollars into Spartan Stadium. Both proved to be illusory and particularly because of that, if you guys have a losing season this year after what you accomplished in 2020, it could be devastating for your program. It would also be devastating if you win the MWC West division again yet you can't come close to filling that smallish stadium. Because my guess is if that happens, Brennan WILL leave after this season.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ibanez said:

This 2024 game was gonna be the home game vs Florida State. Seminoles have or at least had a spot available on their schedule to make up the game with Boise State. 

They aren’t contractually obligated afiak. So I doubt they would come unless ESPN wants to pay them a ton for it.

Just checked and they filled up schedule with Charleston Southern.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...