Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NeighSayer

MWC vs AAC

AAC gives out more money at an equal rate of 7 mil. MWC gives Boise everything and everyone else a few pennies.

Cougars fight for Dear ol' UofH

For our alma mater cheer

Fight for Houston University

For victory is near

When the going get so rough and tough

We never worry, CAUSE WE GOT THE STUFF!

So fight! Fight! Fight for Red and White!

And we will go to victory!

MWC needs to beg BYU to come back with a WAC like deal. At this point I highly doubt BYU would come back. MWC has even less to offer than it did in 2011. We play BSU, USU and SDSU and throw a bone occasionally to another MWC team for a series. Frankly besides those 3 teams BYU has no need for any MWC games anymore. Holmoe will probably try to keep in good graces with Hair and give the MWC 3 total games a year unless we join the AAC.

Not sure how the MWC feels about USU and BSU getting most the BYU games, while they wait years to play the old rival. BYU is tight with USU, BSU, SDSU and Craig Thompson now. To get BYU on the schedule a MWC team needs to plead with Hair for the game now. 

I think a ND like deal with the AAC is a decent possibility. This would allow BSU and SDSU to join the AAC for all sports with Gonzaga and BYU for Basketball only. Not sure if playing that many G5 teams would be worth it though for a School with the largest fan base in the West. 

The Masters 5k road race All American.

31 minutes ago, robe said:

MWC needs to beg BYU to come back with a WAC like deal. At this point I highly doubt BYU would come back. MWC has even less to offer than it did in 2011. We play BSU, USU and SDSU and throw a bone occasionally to another MWC team for a series. Frankly besides those 3 teams BYU has no need for any MWC games anymore. Holmoe will probably try to keep in good graces with Hair and give the MWC 3 total games a year unless we join the AAC.

Not sure how the MWC feels about USU and BSU getting most the BYU games, while they wait years to play the old rival. BYU is tight with USU, BSU, SDSU and Craig Thompson now. To get BYU on the schedule a MWC team needs to plead with Hair for the game now. 

I think a ND like deal with the AAC is a decent possibility. This would allow BSU and SDSU to join the AAC for all sports with Gonzaga and BYU for Basketball only. Not sure if playing that many G5 teams would be worth it though for a School with the largest fan base in the West. 

BYU likes to play at Hawaii too for the recruiting and the Week Zero extra game.

I’m feeling a lot of good feelings towards our conference after this playoff expansion talk. I think our MWC brothers will improve and we won’t have a need to expand for the sake of having quality teams on our schedule.  Certainly open to talking with you. 

On 6/14/2021 at 2:51 PM, Pelado said:

I would expect at least one G5 win every three or four years in the proposed 12-team playoff.

there's a difference between being in the playoff and having a realistic chance at being a national champion. Kinda my point here. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

5 hours ago, robe said:

As a Lobo, I’m fine never playing BYU again. They bring nothing that is helpful. BYU is in our top ten attended games as Rice. We don’t recruit the state of Utah and your fans are the worst. 
While I hate money games, we make more from playing a Notre Dame or A&M and I’d rather go see a game there than Provo. BYU can play for an at large slot in the new CFP, or they could disappear, either is good, I’d rather not have an agreement to play or have them in conference.

Out of my mind for the Lobos!!

I think Norte Dame being ok with the 12 team playoff and them only qualifying for at-large seeds makes sense for only them as an independent.  They don’t have to play a conference championship and could get into the money games in the playoff quarterfinals.

Most of all they get more national respect for polls, playoff committee, etc.

BYU, the reasoning is similar to ND but they don’t get the same amount of national respect as ND. So BYU is more at risk of getting the shaft over another “worthy” team.  

Therefore, BYU would theoretically need a conference more than Norte Dame.  That said, until BYU gets screwed over by the playoffs, continue on as an independent.  Who’s to say that scenario will ever come to relevancy.  Just might mean BYU would need an undefeated regular season to get an at-large pick.

12 hours ago, robe said:

Not sure how the MWC feels about USU and BSU getting most the BYU games, while they wait years to play the old rival. 

It’s regional and a big deal between the Mormon fans.  If your fan base doesn’t include a sizable Mormon population, it’s not that important to play yBu.  

Does SJSU want to play BYU?  Yes. Are they going to grovel to do so?  Hell No.  They would rather get back to playing Stanford and Cal. 

Fight On For Dear Old San Jose State;

Fight On For Victory!

We Are With You In Every Way.

No Matter What The Price May Be!

Onward For Sparta Noble And True,

Fight Hard In Everything You Do!

And So We'll Fight! (Rah!) Win! (Rah!)

March Onward Down the Field

And We Will Win The Day!

S...J...S...U,  S-J-S-U,  San Jose State!

14 hours ago, smltwnrckr said:

there's a difference between being in the playoff and having a realistic chance at being a national champion. Kinda my point here. 

Sure.  The proposed system guarantees at least one G5 champion will be participating in the playoff each year.  It does not guarantee a G5 champ will win any games and/or championships.

Compared to the current system, it's a huge improvement.  Currently, the G5 have essentially no chance to participate in the playoff and, thus, no chance to win the national championship.

I think it was @Jack Bauer who posted about what this proposal will mean over time.  Right now, if a high school star wants to play in the playoff, he knows his best chance is to go to a school that is always selected for the playoff.  So he's most likely to commit to Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson and, to a lesser extent, Oklahoma.  If more than four schools have access to the title game each year, then he can go to a different school and still have a realistic chance at the playoff and, ultimately, the national championship.  This will likely lead to top talent being more dispersed among other schools, leading to increased parity across FBS.

As G5 teams win playoff games over time, they should improve their recruiting even more.  And with the right athletes and the right coaches, you never know when a team might be able to break through for a title.

And that is part of what makes sports great - the opportunity to compete on a (somewhat) level playing field.  The hope that comes from having the opportunity.  The joy from overcoming what was thought to be an insurmountable opponent.

The new playoff system when it comes will have nothing to do with MWC vs AAC. It will all be about how each conference does against P5 teams and which P5 teams. Nobody will gain respect beating teams that nobody else respects.

On 6/16/2021 at 4:49 PM, Pelado said:

Sure.  The proposed system guarantees at least one G5 champion will be participating in the playoff each year.  It does not guarantee a G5 champ will win any games and/or championships.

Compared to the current system, it's a huge improvement.  Currently, the G5 have essentially no chance to participate in the playoff and, thus, no chance to win the national championship.

I think it was @Jack Bauer who posted about what this proposal will mean over time.  Right now, if a high school star wants to play in the playoff, he knows his best chance is to go to a school that is always selected for the playoff.  So he's most likely to commit to Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson and, to a lesser extent, Oklahoma.  If more than four schools have access to the title game each year, then he can go to a different school and still have a realistic chance at the playoff and, ultimately, the national championship.  This will likely lead to top talent being more dispersed among other schools, leading to increased parity across FBS.

As G5 teams win playoff games over time, they should improve their recruiting even more.  And with the right athletes and the right coaches, you never know when a team might be able to break through for a title.

And that is part of what makes sports great - the opportunity to compete on a (somewhat) level playing field.  The hope that comes from having the opportunity.  The joy from overcoming what was thought to be an insurmountable opponent.

This process will take years. It won't disperse the talent quickly. People need to think of it like Gonzaga gradually becoming like Kentucky over time, not how Gonzaga made an elite 8 run and was a cute story in 1998

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

On 6/16/2021 at 6:25 AM, lobo-tomy said:

As a Lobo, I’m fine never playing BYU again. They bring nothing that is helpful. BYU is in our top ten attended games as Rice. We don’t recruit the state of Utah and your fans are the worst. 
While I hate money games, we make more from playing a Notre Dame or A&M and I’d rather go see a game there than Provo. BYU can play for an at large slot in the new CFP, or they could disappear, either is good, I’d rather not have an agreement to play or have them in conference.

Ya, we don't want to play you either, champ. Your entire athletic dept is garbage.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

48 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

Ya, we don't want to play you either, champ. Your entire athletic dept is garbage.

It's like you never left. If you come back, we can pick up right where we left off. 

Out of my mind for the Lobos!!

3 hours ago, lobo-tomy said:

It's like you never left. If you come back, we can pick up right where we left off. 

Sure.

I mean, we just play the teams that are good here for the most part. So, New Mexico isn't really included in that.

BYU isn't ever coming back. I used to think they might.

16 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

Sure.

I mean, we just play the teams that are good here for the most part. So, New Mexico isn't really included in that.

11 years (and counting) in the WCC convincing you now?

3 hours ago, Jack Bauer said:

Sure.

No, that ship has sailed.

On 6/16/2021 at 8:36 PM, quickdraw said:

The new playoff system when it comes will have nothing to do with MWC vs AAC. It will all be about how each conference does against P5 teams and which P5 teams. Nobody will gain respect beating teams that nobody else respects.

I wouldn't go so far as to say nothing. Let's compare G5s in the NY6 bowl game.

Unless I'm mistaken, the SBC and CUSA have never had a team ranked high enough to qualify for that game, Although the MAC has managed to get that done, other than PJ Fleck's directional school, those MAC participants have fallen flat on their faces in that game. The MW? We should thank our lucky stars for Boise. The AAC, otoh, has acquitted itself pretty well with regard to the NY6 bowl.

As much as I bag on the MW, right now I think recruiting has been ratcheted up enough that the conference is going to close the gap with the AAC over the next few years. If that occurs, unless the AAC is raided by the B12 or unless the AAC decides to raid the MW by creating an all-sports western division and thereby a Best of the Rest conference, the ACC and the MW will be so head and shoulders better than the other group conferences that any AAC-MW regular season games will have playoff implications. 

Btw, in case others might have missed it, Mike Aresco HATES the 12-team playoff system. Which confirms to me that Craig Thompson and actually did something right for a change.