Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NeighSayer

MWC vs AAC

2 minutes ago, Jeffkills said:

Win the games.

Better than nothing.

Also, if BSU goes undefeated, we don't have a 12 seed.

Depends on who you go undefeated against.  I guarantee no G5 team will get the bye, or the home field advantage in the first round.  This is a PR move designed to put more of the "real" teams into the playoff.  Don't get me wrong, win that first game and there is a new narrative in CFB, but the committee will make that feat as tough as possible.  I'm a fan of it, because it offers a chance to kick down a door, but I have no delusions regarding how it will be approached.

11 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

Depends on who you go undefeated against.  I guarantee no G5 team will get the bye, or the home field advantage in the first round.  This is a PR move designed to put more of the "real" teams into the playoff.  Don't get me wrong, win that first game and there is a new narrative in CFB, but the committee will make that feat as tough as possible.  I'm a fan of it, because it offers a chance to kick down a door, but I have no delusions regarding how it will be approached.

Dude, win the games..........

Boise State can do it; @Tromp & Avalos are innovative and aggressive enough to get in the field as we used to. 

@bsu_alum9

People need to get off the phucking couch, and get their asses to the game, drink, and get nuts on game-days!

No complaints here.

How do you evaluate CSU's commitment and capability to drive the FB program?

New-Signature.jpg

10 hours ago, Jeffkills said:

Boise State can do it; @Tromp & Avalos are innovative and aggressive enough to get in the field as we used to. 

Yeah. Like in the past though, seeding of G5s will be dependent on the success of the P5s that get beaten.

Boise’s success will be tied to Oregon, but will need help from MSU/OSU/BYU if this goes through in ‘23.

I’d be as confident as you if I hadn’t attended the spring game, but that shit rattled me.

IUT58C7F92C-6764-43AD-9288-00912B338B3B.jpeg

14 hours ago, 818SUDSFan said:

Actually, everything you mention is part of why the AAC has moved ahead of the MW and why the AAC figures to continue to do so.

The only thing the AAC's separation from the MW doesn't have to do with is their embarrassingly stoopid Pea6 campaign.

why yea, it's nice to have a proactive Commish over someone like Craig.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

9 hours ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Yeah. Like in the past though, seeding of G5s will be dependent on the success of the P5s that get beaten.

Boise’s success will be tied to Oregon, but will need help from MSU/OSU/BYU if this goes through in ‘23.

I’d be as confident as you if I hadn’t attended the spring game, but that shit rattled me.

IUT58C7F92C-6764-43AD-9288-00912B338B3B.jpeg

It's a Spring Game, bro.

But, yes, I agree with the rest.

New-Signature.jpg

11 hours ago, Jeffkills said:

@bsu_alum9

People need to get off the phucking couch, and get their asses to the game, drink, and get nuts on game-days!

No complaints here.

How do you evaluate CSU's commitment and capability to drive the FB program?

Man if that ain't the $400,000,000 question.  The commitment of CSU's coach and AD are unquestioned in my mind.  They are absolutely all in on the success of the FB program.  The president is more concerned about being woke, but talks a good game.  Capability?  We'll see.  We're capable of putting all the necessary pieces in place, from facilities to recruiting.  We haven't seen any use of those capabilities, but SA is a new era.  We don't know yet.  Total unknown, as in we could be the first G5 in the CFP, or we could be mediocre forever like Wyoming.

23 hours ago, NeighSayer said:

To even have a shot, there needs to be legitimate access. A playoff, regardless of seeding, opens an avenue. Improbable, yes, but *possible*…which is better than we have now. But for the MWC to consistently claim that spot, we have to make up ground in the perception that the AAC is a significantly better league. Best way to do that is head-to-head.

BTW, there are more than a few who believe Boise State’s 2010 squad could have held their own with any team in the country that year. That Nevada team who came from behind to beat us that year was nothing to sneeze at, either.

An interesting point is the proposal is Top 6 Conference Champions.   Given how down the PAC-12 is it makes winning against the PAC-12 equally important.  A 4-5 loss conference champion could be ranked lower than an undefeated or 1 loss MWC team.  

15 hours ago, smltwnrckr said:

The concept of a '4th teir bowl game' is entirely tied to the national title being a premier focus in college football. 

When bowl games are the NIT, then the national title is all that matters. That's the point. 

Well a point that seems to be missed is no conference is locked in.  The verbiage is the top 6 conference champions.   It will be interesting when a 8-4 PAC-12 team wins the conference championship and is ranked versus two 12-0 G5 schools.   

21 hours ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

It seems to have worked, a surprise to most, including myself.  I was embarrassed by it, but now with the playoffs extended to the top 6 conferences and news today that the AAC applied for Autonomy status with the NCAA it seems like the fight is suddenly over.

Hot damn! That changes everything for you guys!

14 hours ago, Headbutt said:

I think this whole thing would help the G5, absolutely, but let's be real about it.  The G5 will have an autobid to the CFP, and that's big but we'll always be the 12 seed.

We now have a shot, but it's not like we just became part of the club.

However, just getting one team to get a shot?  The G5 season just became more interesting.  Our playoff starts on zero week.

At first, that's certain. However, if the G5 representative begins to beat the #5 seed 1/3 of the time or more, that will gradually change.

And that can happen if the #5 seed is caught looking ahead as sometimes happens in the basketball tournament.

15 hours ago, smltwnrckr said:

We need to have two winning seasons in a row for once this century before any preseason talk of autobid.

Getting into the ccg in a slobberknocker division and a few losses would be a huge win for sjsu. A dream season isnt impossible, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. 

For various reasons I won't bother to fully explain, I think 2021 is SJSU's most important football season since 2012.

You managed to go 11-2 in a weakened WAC that year while also convincing Idiot Button Thompson that you were going to pump buzzillion dollars into Spartan Stadium. Both proved to be illusory and particularly because of that, if you guys have a losing season this year after what you accomplished in 2020, it could be devastating for your program. It would also be devastating if you win the MWC West division again yet you can't come close to filling that smallish stadium. Because my guess is if that happens, Brennan WILL leave after this season.

5 hours ago, Ibanez said:

This 2024 game was gonna be the home game vs Florida State. Seminoles have or at least had a spot available on their schedule to make up the game with Boise State. 

They aren’t contractually obligated afiak. So I doubt they would come unless ESPN wants to pay them a ton for it.

Just checked and they filled up schedule with Charleston Southern.

3 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

they only want a 12 team playoff to make sure any G5 team will have to do a play-in game before playing a top-4 team...

Don’t you see that as a good thing?  The gap from Alabama and Clemson to the rest of college football is significant.   By having a beatable team in the 5-12 range it provides opportunity to show the G5 belong before taking on a top 4 team.  

16 hours ago, Jeffkills said:

Win the games.

Better than nothing.

Also, if BSU goes undefeated, we don't have a 12 seed.

Not sure a 5-12 game is so bad.  Win that game and you get to play the 4 seed which is not Alabama, Clemson or Ohio State.  

3 hours ago, 818SUDSFan said:

For various reasons I won't bother to fully explain, I think 2021 is SJSU's most important football season since 2012.

You managed to go 11-2 in a weakened WAC that year while also convincing Idiot Button Thompson that you were going to pump buzzillion dollars into Spartan Stadium. Both proved to be illusory and particularly because of that, if you guys have a losing season this year after what you accomplished in 2020, it could be devastating for your program. It would also be devastating if you win the MWC West division again yet you can't come close to filling that smallish stadium. Because my guess is if that happens, Brennan WILL leave after this season.

I agree with you that this season is very important, and perhaps as important as 2012 for the reasons you mentioned. 2012 was extremely important because of the inter-conference movement, and having a great season that year just 2 years after what was arguably the worst season in program history up until then was monumental in preventing SJSU from being a team on an island. However, I think you overstate with "devastating" since we were literally the worst program in the country just a couple years ago and have at least been able to turn it around a bit within a few years. But it's arguable that the Ralson/Baldwin/Hill years were even worse than the Tomey/Mac/Caragher/Brennan years since at least 3 of the last four coaches have had at least one winning seasons, all of them have a bowl and we're 3-1 in those bowls during that time. 

I think there's a good chance coach BB is gone after this year no matter what, assuming we have a winning season and at least get to a bowl. If we're in contention for the conference title again, even moreso. You're going to see multiple programs throwing tons of money at him and at a certain point, he has to say yes. But I personally think that can work out well for the program if we hire one of the coordinators to stay as head coach and keep some of the coaching staff for continuity of culture and personnel. I think that would keep enough infrastructure in place, and either way I think you're going to see a drop in 2022 with so many top guys on the roster leaving. 

Also, the WAC wasn't deep in 2012 but the 3 teams at the top were as good as any in the mid majors. La Tech was a tougher offense to stop in 2012 than Fresno was in 2013. We also beat good teams out of conference. SJSU was legit that year and would have been in contention for Conference champs in the MW that year.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

4 hours ago, 818SUDSFan said:

At first, that's certain. However, if the G5 representative begins to beat the #5 seed 1/3 of the time or more, that will gradually change.

And that can happen if the #5 seed is caught looking ahead as sometimes happens in the basketball tournament.

Well, I'll agree with that.  If this goes through, we're living in a new house.  We're still in the basement, but this place has a hidden stairwell that we might just find. 

I do think this is just a token opportunity for PR purposes, but....it is an opportunity.

3 hours ago, sactowndog said:

Don’t you see that as a good thing?  The gap from Alabama and Clemson to the rest of college football is significant.   By having a beatable team in the 5-12 range it provides opportunity to show the G5 belong before taking on a top 4 team.  

not of you actually intend to win the title. if the goal is simply to prove 'hey, we belong!' then sure. wearing out your squad before taking on Bama/Clemson isn't very smart IMHO.

I'd prefer 8 teams. P5+1G5+2 At-Large.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

1 hour ago, UofMTigers said:

not of you actually intend to win the title. if the goal is simply to prove 'hey, we belong!' then sure. wearing out your squad before taking on Bama/Clemson isn't very smart IMHO.

I'd prefer 8 teams. P5+1G5+2 At-Large.

One step at a time.  The rest of the P5 can’t beat those three programs.  Let’s prove we belong first.  Rome wasn’t built in a day.