Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NeighSayer

MWC vs AAC

3 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

This is what the P5 is gonna tell the AAC.

"If you're serious about being the Pee6 Conference you need to get BYU, Boise State, Fresno State, Colorado State, and San Diego State. After that you need to dump Navy, Tulsa, ECU, and Tulane. Then reapply."

Then after Aresco does it they are gonna say:

"Just kidding. Go +++++ yourself."

From the sound bites in the articles, this Aresco guy talks as if he’s the only G5 that matters or as if he’s the only one trying to break into the Pee party 

Quote:

“I won’t be the loneliest man in the room anymore,” Aresco said. “Now, I guess I’m on the side of the majority.”

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/columnists/mark-giannotto/2021/06/12/memphis-football-college-football-playoff-expansion-tigers-ryan-silverfield/7653512002/

@halfmanhalfbronco @thelawlorfaithful

Those wins against sec teams were great, but they were also wins against teams that were not nearly as motivated as utah/tcu/bsu. Ironically, for all the bitching us mid majors did about the BCS, that system was pretty nice for us because in the games we made it to we were happy to be there and had something to prove and the opposing team came in on the game with their season already a failure cuz they weren't in the title game. In college, when its kids playing, that edge can be just enough for a more experienced team to beat a more physically talented team. I dont believe for a second the on field play would have been the same had alabama or georgia been playing for a chance to advance. Would the mid major teams still have won? Sure, maybe. But the stakes would have been higher in the next game, and at some point accumulated talent and financial resources wins out. We see it every year in march in basketball, and that's a sport with more opportunity for the little guy because one hot player can change a game or even a tourney in a way one cant in football.

Those mwc and late wac boise teams were great, dont get me wrong. That was the golden age for the little guy. But both TCU and Utah struggled early in conference when they moved up to p5 conferences.. And they would have struggled in the playoff, aka been eliminated after a game or 2, because of the difference in talent and resources. 

I love mid major college football. Love it. But I absolutely disagree that a playoff is good for the mid majors as a whole. It will increasingly professionalize the top teir of the p5, turn the lower teir of the p5 and a few g5 schools into the new mid majors, and turn the rest of us into Rider University or into a school that cant afford football anymore.

Mark my words. Though, I hope I am wrong. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

14 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

@halfmanhalfbronco @thelawlorfaithful

Those wins against sec teams were great, but they were also wins against teams that were not nearly as motivated as utah/tcu/bsu. Ironically, for all the bitching us mid majors did about the BCS, that system was pretty nice for us because in the games we made it to we were happy to be there and had something to prove and the opposing team came in on the game with their season already a failure cuz they weren't in the title game. In college, when its kids playing, that edge can be just enough for a more experienced team to beat a more physically talented team. I dont believe for a second the on field play would have been the same had alabama or georgia been playing for a chance to advance. Would the mid major teams still have won? Sure, maybe. But the stakes would have been higher in the next game, and at some point accumulated talent and financial resources wins out. We see it every year in march in basketball, and that's a sport with more opportunity for the little guy because one hot player can change a game or even a tourney in a way one cant in football.

Those mwc and late wac boise teams were great, dont get me wrong. That was the golden age for the little guy. But both TCU and Utah struggled early in conference when they moved up to p5 conferences.. And they would have struggled in the playoff, aka been eliminated after a game or 2, because of the difference in talent and resources. 

I love mid major college football. Love it. But I absolutely disagree that a playoff is good for the mid majors as a whole. It will increasingly professionalize the top teir of the p5, turn the lower teir of the p5 and a few g5 schools into the new mid majors, and turn the rest of us into Rider University or into a school that cant afford football anymore.

Mark my words. Though, I hope I am wrong. 

Oh Bullshit.  Not as motivated?  Says +++++ing who?  The game against Georgia, Georgia was according to Vegas a favorite to play in the NC game, you think they were less motivated than Boise?  Fugg out of here.  TCU, Oregon X2, VT?  Please.  You think Wisconsin was less motivated to win the Rose bowl than TCU?

Boise and TCU were not the less talented more motivated teams, stop being a donkey brained power homer.  We were the MORE TALENTED better coached teams.

3 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Oh Bullshit.  Not as motivated?  Says +++++ing who?  The game against Georgia, Georgia was according to Vegas a favorite to play in the NC game, you think they were less motivated than Boise?  Fugg out of here.

You think if vegas picked a team to be in the NC game and then they're in the nit that doesnt play a role in the on court product? It absolutely does.

Look, I'm not diminishing those teams. But im saying that the traditional bowl system and even the BCS will have been better for the mid majors than a 12 team playoff. 

The only system that would maybe, and I say maybe, prove things for g5, is a playoff system where every conference champ get in. And even then, I dunno if I buy that it would be better in the long run. Mid majors are not going to benefit. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

6 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

You think if vegas picked a team to be in the NC game and then they're in the nit that doesnt play a role in the on court product? It absolutely does.

Look, I'm not diminishing those teams. But im saying that the traditional bowl system and even the BCS will have been better for the mid majors than a 12 team playoff. 

The only system that would maybe, and I say maybe, prove things for g5, is a playoff system where every conference champ get in. And even then, I dunno if I buy that it would be better in the long run. Mid majors are not going to benefit. 

No you absolutely are, saying those teams they beat "were not as motivated".  That is hogwash and absolutely an attempt to diminish the results on the field that contradict your theory.  Georiga was the AAC East champ, VT the AAC champ, Oregon the Pac champ and it was the first game of the season.  Lack of motivation my ass hole buddy.  and LMFAO at comparing the Orange Bowl, Rose Bowl and Fiesta Bowls to the NIT.

This system will even out recruiting, in theory the top 3-4 schools will go back to the way it was in the 00's and the BCS era, where the blue chip recruits are divided between the top 15 programs, not the top 4.  It will be easier for the best G5 teams to recruit, not having lack of access being a recruiting tool against them.

This is a huge win for the G5, seems you have a personal axe to grind but that is on you.  This is a win.

1 minute ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

No you absolutely are, saying those teams they beat "were not as motivated".  That is hogwash and absolutely an attempt to diminish the results on the field that contradict your theory.

This system will even out recruiting, in theory the top 3-4 schools will go back to the way it was in the 00's and the BCS era, where the blue chip recruits are divided between the top 15 programs, not the top 4.  It will be easier for the best G5 teams to recruit, not having lack of access being a recruiting tool against them.

This is a huge win for the G5, seems you have a personal axe to grind but that is on you.  This is a win.

Again, you are looking at this as a bsu fan. Sure it will make alabama and LSU  and texas have to share the wealth, and it may help the premier g5 schools for a cup of coffee. But it will hurt mid majors as a whole. That is what I'm talking about. And yes, if my axe to grind is that I care about sjsu football or uop football or bowling green football or la tech football, then I will not deny I'm grinding an axe. But those programs will not benefit from a 12 team playoff.

And I was in big east country and consumed a shit ton of big east basketball when they were the best conference in the land. And I watched a lot of nba players be shitty in the nit. Motivation matters in college.

6 hours ago, smltwnrckr said:

Making the G5s think they have a shot at the national title will do more to expedite their demise than anything prior. At most a g5 will knock off a team in round 1 every decade or so before being crushed by a 1 or 2 seed while the g5 conferences as a whole deteriorate further. 

Just watch.

So you'd rather have no hope at all?  Being realistic is fine and dandy, but I'm of the belief that a really good G5 entrant, if the seeding is favorable (random, I know), could make it to at least a National Semi-Final.  And sooner than you think...

1 minute ago, sjsbuff said:

So you'd rather have no hope at all?  Being realistic is fine and dandy, but I'm of the belief that a really good G5 entrant, if the seeding is favorable (random, I know), could make it to at least a National Semi-Final.  And sooner than you think...

Hope for what? The idea that the national title is all that matters is the thing that is killing college football. Or at least the college football that I love.

How many conference championship games now havent mattered because even if one of the teams lost they'd still be in the title game? A few. I find that to be awful.

9 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

Again, you are looking at this as a bsu fan. Sure it will make alabama and LSU  and texas have to share the wealth, and it may help the premier g5 schools for a cup of coffee. But it will hurt mid majors as a whole. That is what I'm talking about. And yes, if my axe to grind is that I care about sjsu football or uop football or bowling green football or la tech football, then I will not deny I'm grinding an axe. But those programs will not benefit from a 12 team playoff.

And I was in big east country and consumed a shit ton of big east basketball when they were the best conference in the land. And I watched a lot of nba players be shitty in the nit. Motivation matters in college.

How will it hurt mid majors as a whole?  I hate that term by the way.  Mid Major is a basketball term, not a football term.

But how will it hurt non power conference schools as a whole?  Expound.  

7 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

Hope for what? The idea that the national title is all that matters is the thing that is killing college football. Or at least the college football that I love.

How many conference championship games now havent mattered because even if one of the teams lost they'd still be in the title game? A few. I find that to be awful.

No one said that the title is all that matters.  But before this proposal, SJSU had exactly "zero" chance of doing anything in the playoffs.  With this latest development, we might have only moved the needle a scant amount, but it's enough to get us across the proverbial "line in the sand" (the one that formerly all but excluded us from competing in the first place).   And try telling the kids that play that they shouldn't be able to complete for the highest level of championship.  Or that they should never aspire to anything beyond a 4th tier Bowl game.  And Athletic Departments?  Sure, let's hope they don't "sell their souls" to advance their cause, but at the very least we should be thankful that the conference will share (if only minimally) in a more equitable playoff arrangement that has more access for a really good G5...

3 minutes ago, sjsbuff said:

No one said that the title is all that matters.  But before this proposal, SJSU had exactly "zero" chance of doing anything in the playoffs.  With this latest development, we might have only moved the needle a scant amount, but it's enough to get us across the proverbial "line in the sand" (the one that formerly all but excluded us from competing in the first place).   And try telling the kids that play that they shouldn't be able to complete for the highest level of championship.  Or that they should never aspire to anything beyond a 4th tier Bowl game.  And Athletic Departments?  Sure, let's hope they don't "sell their souls" to advance their cause, but at the very least we should be thankful that the conference will share (if only minimally) in a more equitable playoff arrangement that has more access for a really good G5...

The concept of a '4th teir bowl game' is entirely tied to the national title being a premier focus in college football. 

When bowl games are the NIT, then the national title is all that matters. That's the point. 

10 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

How will it hurt mid majors as a whole?  I hate that term by the way.  Mid Major is a basketball term, not a football term.

But how will it hurt non power conference schools as a whole?  Expound.  

And yet the term applies so well In football now. 

I owe you a full explanation of my problems with an expanded playoff so I will give it to you asap but not right now as I try to avoid burning these chicken breasts.

Just now, smltwnrckr said:

And yet the term applies so well In football now. 

I owe you a full explanation of my problems with an expanded playoff so I will give it to you asap but not right now as I try to avoid burning these chicken breasts.

You owe me nothing here, but your opinion seems to go against the general consensus.

1 minute ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

You owe me nothing here, but your opinion seems to go against the general consensus.

It definitely does go against the general consensus. I admit that. I know I'm on the losing side. 

This is not my argument in full, but I remember reading this and agreeing.

http://www.espn.com/espn/page2/story?page=klosterman/070103

9 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

It definitely does go against the general consensus. I admit that. I know I'm on the losing side. 

This is not my argument in full, but I remember reading this and agreeing.

http://www.espn.com/espn/page2/story?page=klosterman/070103

I have partial agreement with you and the article writer.  I think with college football there are two main differences preventing apathy towards the regular season:

- the relatively fewer number of games played vs college basketball, NBA or Baseball

- the use of polls for determining ranking.  With that subjective process, it is conceivable to argue, every game is important or has relevance to the granddaddy of them all.  Now that importance and relevance are spread further to the G5, hopefully leading to more interest and participation in the fabric of the game.

Could there be unknown unknowns?  Absolutely.  So, your stance is important in analyzing this new direction.  

14 hours ago, NeighSayer said:

One thing has become clear to me since the revelation a 12-team college football playoff is likely. MWC vs. AAC match-ups will become more important than ever as the top 2 G5 conferences. We were already battling it out for the (laughable) “Access Bowl” spot, but that was really just a bone thrown to the G5 without any meaningful route to a national championship. Really not very meaningful in the grand scheme of things. A 12-team CFP, however, is an entirely different animal, and will raise the stakes exponentially between MWC vs AAC matchups. We MUST schedule those games as often as we can…and win them.

I like it; I agree.

We'll schedule UCF, Cincy, USF, and SMU/Houston.

I didn't know the 12 team field had legs.  That's pretty exciting.

New-Signature.jpg

I think this whole thing would help the G5, absolutely, but let's be real about it.  The G5 will have an autobid to the CFP, and that's big but we'll always be the 12 seed.

We now have a shot, but it's not like we just became part of the club.

However, just getting one team to get a shot?  The G5 season just became more interesting.  Our playoff starts on zero week.

9 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

I think this whole thing would help the G5, absolutely, but let's be real about it.  The G5 will have an autobid to the CFP, and that's big but we'll always be the 12 seed.

We now have a shot, but it's not like we just became part of the club.

However, just getting one team to get a shot?  The G5 season just became more interesting.  Our playoff starts on zero week.

Win the games.

Better than nothing.

Also, if BSU goes undefeated, we don't have a 12 seed.

New-Signature.jpg

Just now, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

SJSU?

We need to have two winning seasons in a row for once this century before any preseason talk of autobid.

Getting into the ccg in a slobberknocker division and a few losses would be a huge win for sjsu. A dream season isnt impossible, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.