Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NeighSayer

MWC vs AAC

9 minutes ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

At least they’re accomplishing things while being handcuffed.  Your retort is silly.  You’re literally faulting someone for doing more with less resources, it’s asinine.

Reading fail?  I' was not talking about the Sun Belt.  

2 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

The Mw is going to kick ass next year. Best non power conference year since MW 2008. Book it.

I expect Boise to struggle next year.  Harsin failed to develop too many key positions.  

Hopefully It's Nevada's year and the can rep the NY6 Bowl.  They have the best chance IMO.

31 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Nonsense.  The top 3-4 teams will start losing recruits more often to the next 9-10.  Things will get more competitive ala the 00's.

And yeah, 2009 Boise, TCU, 2010 Boise, TCU, would have had as good a chance to win a natty as any team.

You should admit to yourself that you have a boner for the playoff because it will benefit BSU, a couple other g5 teams, and diminish the rest of the mid majors. Instead of a 2 teired system, it will create a 3 tiered system before programs start dropping. Like happened right before the 2000s for other reasons. 

And sorry but those boise and tcu teams were good, but were not winning 5 games in a row against against top 12 teams. A playoff will make teams like boise and UCf and NIU into butler, Gonzaga and Wichita state. Teams that people talk about before they get eaten by the buzzsaw because they dont have the talent or resources. And itll be even worse because basketball is different than football.

Sorry, but I am not that interested in regular season games between Gonzaga and USF. And I'm not looking forward to regular season football games between Boise and Wyoming being more like that. But that is where we're heading. Mark my words.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

Just now, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I expect Boise to struggle next year.  Harsin failed to develop too many key positions.  

Hopefully It's Nevada's year and the can rep the NY6 Bowl.  They have the best chance IMO.

Pffft what does Boise struggling even mean. “Oh my gawd we only won 9 games, the Taylor Tharp headless horsemen is upon us.”

Nevada and San Jose are ready to put in some work this year. It’s going to be a beautiful fall.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

10 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

The Mw is going to kick ass next year. Best non power conference year since MW 2008. Book it.

And the thing that may ruin it is the fact that we're gonna beat up on each other in conference. Let's hope that we all do well OOC and those conference games will have more stakes to them.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

3 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

You should admit to yourself that you have a boner for the playoff because it will benefit BSU, a couple other g5 teams, and diminish the rest of the mid majors. Instead of a 2 teired system, it will create a 3 tiered system before programs start dropping. Like happened right before the 2000s for other reasons. 

And sorry but those boise and tcu teams were good, but were not winning 5 games in a row against against top 12 teams. A playoff will make teams like boise and UCf and NIU into butler, Gonzaga and Wichita state. Teams that people talk about before they get eaten by the buzzsaw because they dont have the talent or resources. And itll be even worse because basketball is different than football.

Sorry, but I am not that interested in regular season games between Gonzaga and USF. And I'm not looking forward to regular season football games between Boise and Wyoming being more like that. But that is where we're heading. Mark my words.

I don't see that at all.  I think the the best of the G5 will improve as will the middle and bottom of the G5.  There will be more money coming in for everybody, and with sooo much money already in play for the P5, it's law of diminishing returns for them, but a game changer for us.

And yeah, those TCU and Boise had NFL DEPTH not just NFL starters.  They would have done fine.  Our 5th best DLinemen signed an NFL contract.  As did our nickle corner.  They would have had as good a chance of anybody those years.  Those were very deep teams, and their starters were as good as any teams starters in the nation.  

9 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Pffft what does Boise struggling even mean. “Oh my gawd we only won 9 games, the Taylor Tharp headless horsemen is upon us.”

Nevada and San Jose are ready to put in some work this year. It’s going to be a beautiful fall.

I've got us pegged at 8 wins this year but think next year and the year after we are going to be really, really good.

6 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

And the thing that may ruin it is the fact that we're gonna beat up on each other in conference. Let's hope that we all do well OOC and those conference games will have more stakes to them.

September matters more to the conference than January in the long run. The conference was good last year. With the extra year of eligibility the OOC is gonna be a blast.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

5 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I don't see that at all.  I think the the best of the G5 will improve as will the middle and bottom of the G5.  There will be more money coming in for everybody, and with sooo much money already in play for the P5, it's law of diminishing returns for them, but a game changer for us.

And yeah, those TCU and Boise had NFL DEPTH not just NFL starters.  They would have done fine.  Our 5th best DLinemen signed an NFL contract.  As did our nickle corner.  They would have had as good a chance of anybody those years.  Those were very deep teams, and their starters were as good as any teams starters in the nation.  

Also, it is 4 games, not 5, in a row without a bye and 2010 TCU would have gotten a bye, so would have only needed to win thrice.  Very doable for that squad.

3 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Also, it is 4 games, not 5, in a row without a bye and 2010 TCU would have gotten a bye, so would have only needed to win thrice.  Very doable for that squad.

You're right on the number, wrong on the outcome. I also dont think tcu is ranked as high with a 12 team playoff system. They wouldnt have gotten a bye as a g5.

14 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

Dead wrong. Those Boise and TCU teams stood as good a chance as anyone not named Florida at the time of winning 5 straight. They were unique outliers for the G5/non BCS conferences this century and everybody knew it, and especially those with a vested interest in not letting them have a seat at the table. Same goes for 2008 Utah, though they were busy carrying the flag as far as it can go. The MW of the late aughts were great in September for a few years in a row, and Boise built their own little cottage killing machine. Make a bracket of 12 teams from those years and very few teams are beating them no matter the seed, let alone embarrassing them.

Just now, smltwnrckr said:

You're right on the number, wrong on the outcome. I also dont think tcu is ranked as high with a 12 team playoff system. They wouldnt have gotten a bye as a g5.

It would have been an outrage if not.  They were #2 in the BCS computer composite.  They were also the #3 ranked team in the nation in the polls and computers in 2009.

They might not have won, but their chances were as good as any.

That Boise team for example had 5 D-linemen that would sign an NFL contract, 3 of which would play in the NFL for very long careers.  They had their top 3 CB's sign NFL contracts, 2 of which would play for long careers.  3 safeties that would sign an NFL contract, and all three would make active rosters, with two playing very long in the NFL.  On offense they had Moore at QB, two NFL WR's, a pro bowl RB and a long time NFL player at LT, as well as an NFL TE.  And then their depth would show up in the 2012 season after they left, a team that was still very very good and top 25, with an elite defense.  Legendary coaching staff.  TCU's teams were just as talented.

The 2010 Boise-Nevada game had more NFL draft picks than the national title game that year and when you include UDFA's that made a team, that number grows.

Their odds would be as good as any those years.  

8 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Dead wrong. Those Boise and TCU teams stood as good a chance as anyone not named Florida at the time of winning 5 straight. They were unique outliers for the G5/non BCS conferences this century and everybody knew it, and especially those with a vested interest in not letting them have a seat at the table. Same goes for 2008 Utah, though they were busy carrying the flag as far as it can go. The MW of the late aughts were great in September for a few years in a row, and Boise built their own little cottage killing machine. Make a bracket of 12 teams from those years and very few teams are beating them no matter the seed, let alone embarrassing them.

People forget just how much NFL talent those teams were putting on the field, and how ahead of the times their concepts on offense and defense were.  Their schemes were 5 years ahead of the rest of football.  Summer 2008 was a game changer.  Both TCU and Boise fielded top 12 teams that would meet in the P bowl.  After that, they won so much respect for each other the two staffs braine stormed for two weeks, thinking they would never play each other again.  It is why Boise beat TCU in the Fiesta Bowl.  They implemented a defensive scheme only a staff as familiar with TCU could dream of, oh and having a first round CB move to a third safety position allowing 6 NFL contract signing DB's to be on the field at the same time.

Those teams were not the UCF, Cinci or Memphis teams of late.  They were far superior, in talent and coaching.

2 hours ago, HawaiiMongoose said:

I don’t think head-to-head competition with the AAC matters much.  The best recipe for getting a G5 team into the top 12 is running the table or going 11-1 at minimum while also winning games against multiple respectable P5 teams.  One win against a P5 opponent probably won’t do it, so any MWC program that’s serious about getting into the hunt for a playoff berth should be looking to schedule at least two OOC games against P5 teams per season. 

That’s an interesting argument…is it best to avoid our direct competition (the AAC) and trust in a gaudy win-loss record while hoping the ACC champ suffers a loss or two along the way, or schedule AAC teams and control the narrative to some extent? There are risks either way, but I obviously prefer the head-to-head approach…but recognize it could backfire if the results don’t go our way.

6 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

People forget just how much NFL talent those teams were putting on the field, and how ahead of the times their concepts on offense and defense were.  Their schemes were 5 years ahead of the rest of football.  Summer 2008 was a game changer.  Both TCU and Boise fielded top 12 teams that would meet in the P bowl.  After that, they won so much respect for each other the two staffs braine stormed for two weeks, thinking they would never play each other again.  It is why Boise beat TCU in the Fiesta Bowl.  They implemented a defensive scheme only a staff as familiar with TCU could dream of, oh and having a first round CB move to a third safety position allowing 6 NFL contract signing DB's to be on the field at the same time.

Those teams were not the UCF, Cinci or Memphis teams of late.  They were far superior, in talent and coaching.

And they also had the built in cache of others. Utah skulldragged Alabama (Alabama!) that year. BYU was a handful for anyone. The 2008 MW was no joke, heck UNLV was landing body blows against BCS schools. Boise had the scalps of the 10 win Oregon in 2008, the 2009 PAC 10 champs Ducks, the 2010 ACC champs Va Tech on their wall, to go along with their revenge win against TCU. TCU had Ws against a good Oregon State, Baylor, Clemson, Virginia, in addition to win over Utah, BYU when they were still good, and Boise.

It was a golden age of football for the little guy. And it all peaked with this

21boise-articleLarge.jpg?quality=75&auto

1 minute ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

And they also had the built in cache of others. Utah skulldragged Alabama (Alabama!) that year. BYU was a handful for anyone. The 2008 MW was no joke, heck UNLV was landing body blows against BCS schools. Boise had the scalps of the 10 win Oregon in 2008, the 2009 PAC 10 champs Ducks, the 2010 ACC champs Va Tech on their wall, to go along with their revenge win against TCU. TCU had Ws against a good Oregon State, Baylor, Clemson, Virginia, in addition to win over Utah, BYU when they were still good, and Boise.

It was a golden age of football for the little guy. And it all peaked with this

21boise-articleLarge.jpg?quality=75&auto

Don't forget us resting starters against the SEC East champs in 2011!!!  We could have easily won by another few touchdowns, but once we broke their will to play and the game was in zero doubt, we went cruise control, started giving freshmen reps and the lopsided score was not nearly indicative of how outclassed Georgia was.  

1 minute ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Don't forget us resting starters against the SEC East champs in 2011!!!  We could have easily won by another few touchdowns, but once we broke their will to play and the game was in zero doubt, we went cruise control, started giving freshmen reps and the lopsided score was not nearly indicative of how outclassed Georgia was.  

6 years. That’s all it takes from not belonging on the field with Georgia to them not belonging on the field with you.

Just now, thelawlorfaithful said:

6 years. That’s all it takes from not belonging on the field with Georgia to them not belonging on the field with you.

And that is why this is so huge.  The top of the G5 will win more recruiting battles, the mid of the G5 will in return be able to say "hey, sit on the bench for a few years at UCLA, or come to Nevada, or SJSU now, we have as good a chance as they do"

Not to mention the inflow of money the new playoff will bring.  Each MWC school can expect another 2 mil or so, minimum.  Could see years where a MWC team makes the playoff being a 40 mil for the conference cut, and if they advance a round another 20 mil.  And the base distribution even if none of our teams make it will likely double.

This is nothing but good news.  And, as I said earlier, it will be harder for the top 2-4 teams to consolidate every blue chip between them as they do now.  Right now the recruiting pitch is "you can only get a chance at a title if you play for us"  No longer.  This will make the top 3-4 teams less dominant over the course of years.  

2023 schedule for Hawaii is a doozy, if this new playoff is implemented then. 

At Vandy, Stanford, at Oregon.  As a conference, we need to beat the AAC and the PAC-12.  

In the long run, it would serve us better (recruiting, our markets, rivalries) to narrow the gap with the PAC-12.  Naturally, given our geographies, these are the match ups we need to win.  

Let the AAC battle it out with ACC (they sound similar).  

Other than the money, it could be a free for all.  Agree that the money advantages have diminishing returns for the P5, but huge marginal benefit for the G5.  

I’ve never felt this excited about the conference we’re in as I feel now with this potential playoff.  So schedule the PAC-12 and win the West.

Looking at you Nevada against Cal.