Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

Oregon lawmaker is ejected from office for helping a crowd breach the State Capitol

Lawmakers in Oregon ejected one of their colleagues from office for the first time in state history late Thursday night, voting 59 to 1 to oust Representative Mike Nearman for his role in helping a far-right crowd breach the State Capitol in December.

Mr. Nearman, who was the only no vote, had faced rising pressure from his Republican colleagues to resign from office this week, days after newly surfaced video showed him apparently coaching people on how they might get inside the closed Capitol. Previous security footage had showed how Mr. Nearman exited the building where protesters had gathered, allowing them inside and setting off a confrontation with law enforcement officers.

Mr. Nearman, who faces misdemeanor charges for his actions, said on Thursday that legislative leaders should have never excluded the public from the Capitol — a decision that was a coronavirus precaution. But Democrats said Mr. Nearman had shown a complete disregard for the rule of law and the principles of democracy.

“His actions were blatant and deliberate, and he has shown no remorse for jeopardizing the safety of every person in the Capitol that day,” Speaker Tina Kotek, a Democrat, said in a statement after the vote.

The case had striking similarities to the U.S. Capitol siege that unfolded a couple of weeks later. Although the crowd in Salem was smaller, it was filled with Trump supporters waving flags, far-right agitators wearing body armor, and people chanting for punishment: “Arrest Kate Brown,” they shouted, referring to Oregon’s Democratic governor.

But while Republicans in Congress have resisted major actions in the Capitol siege — recently rejecting a plan for an independent commission — G.O.P. lawmakers in Oregon coalesced in recent days around the idea that Mr. Nearman needed to go. Each of his colleagues joined in a letter this week calling for his resignation.

The House Republican leader, Christine Drazan, said Mr. Nearman had indiscriminately allowed violent protesters into the building. Representative Bill Post, a Republican who said he was one of Mr. Nearman’s closest colleagues, wrote a message explaining that Mr. Nearman had lied to him personally and to other Republican colleagues about whether there was evidence that opening the door had been planned.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/11/us/politics/mike-nearman-oregon-ejected.html

I obviously don't reside in Oregon, but good +++++ing riddance. 

1 minute ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Members of the State Legislature in Oregon make about 32k a year plus lodging and food expenses during legislative session.

Whoops, thought this was about the Jan 6th capital breach. 

Thanks for the correction. 

1 minute ago, tailingpermit said:

I would give your left nut for the GOP members of Congress to show the same principle and fortitude as their state counterparts in Oregon did.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

2 minutes ago, tailingpermit said:

Sall good.  Idaho members make less.  Explains some things.  Willing to work for little in exchange for the feel of having power and influence.  

41 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Sall good.  Idaho members make less.  Explains some things.  Willing to work for little in exchange for the feel of having power and influence.  

Or perhaps willing to do the right thing because your job isn’t that important to you.  

Just now, sactowndog said:

Or perhaps willing to do the right thing because your job isn’t that important to you.  

Context.  I was talking about Idaho, where the legislature dox's and shames rape victims, want's to interrogate teachers, cut funding to universities if they are too "woke", murder wolves and sell off public lands.

Oregon's legislature has their own problems, but got this one right.

Nearman also attempted to blame Oregon law enforcement for the breach and not take responsibility for opening the door.

Monday on the Lars Larson talk show, Nearman said:

In his conversation with Larson, Nearman appeared to blame officers for not more quickly securing the building after the initial rush of rioters. He said there was time where police officers appeared to be talking with protesters before a mass of people — some using chemical sprays — barged in.

"I’m wondering why the police didn’t secure the building once they got the four people out. I don’t know if there was a problem where they couldn’t do that. But if they could have secured the building and they didn’t do it then, then I think you have to take another look at what my responsibility is for what happened after that," Nearman said.

https://www.statesmanjournal.com/story/news/2021/06/07/oregon-special-legislative-committee-consider-rep-mike-nearman-expulsion-riot-state-capitol/7588912002/

I just read a blog post from Oregon GOP Rep. Bill Post. Bill Post claims to be one of Nearman's closest friends in the Oregon House.

He explains why he voted to eject Nearman.

But the responses under the blog are filled with anger and vitriol from the far-right against a member of the GOP.

https://www.billpost.com/blog/house-republicans-call-for-rep-mike-nearman-resignation-explained

34 minutes ago, FresnoFacts said:

I just read a blog post from Oregon GOP Rep. Bill Post. Bill Post claims to be one of Nearman's closest friends in the Oregon House.

But the responses under the blog are filled with anger and vitriol from the far-right against a member of the GOP.

https://www.billpost.com/blog/house-republicans-call-for-rep-mike-nearman-resignation-explained

Can you imagine if those people would focus on making their communities better rather than spewing the man of god, RINO, constitution BS all day every day? 

4 hours ago, tailingpermit said:

You can have Bob’s left nut.  

Do you know for certain that Bob has one?

For example, according to the Red Army, a pre-burial medical examination of Hitler's body revealed that the Fuhrer had only a right nut. (And the Ruskies would never lie about something like that.)

3 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

Can you imagine if those people would focus on making their communities better rather than spewing the man of god, RINO, constitution BS all day every day? 

Most of them are probably also residents of the Greater Idaho movement counties. Can you imagine what shifting the border to change their voting state would do to Idaho?

5 hours ago, FresnoFacts said:

Another group that wants to be part of Idaho @halfmanhalfbronco