Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

Police Officer Flips Pregnant Woman's Car While Attempting PIT Maneuver

dashcam video from a state trooper's police car in Arkansas showed the trooper nudging another car as he tried to make the driver pull over, resulting in the car flipping on the interstate.

The video is reportedly from July 2020 and Fox16 reported Nicole Harper, who was a little over two months pregnant at the time, was the victim of the wreck. Senior Cpl. Rodney Dunn reported that Harper was speeding outside of Jacksonville, so he turned on his lights to pull her over.

In the video, Harper reduced her speed and turned her flashers on, as she claimed the shoulder on the interstate was too narrow and she could not pull over safely.

Newsweek reached out to Harper's lawyer, Andrew Norwood, who forwarded a copy of the Arkansas Driver's Manual, used to teach new drivers the rules of the road.

On page three, it lists things to do when you are stopped by an officer, and number one on the list is "Activate your turn signal or emergency flashers to indicate to the officer that you are seeking a safe place to stop." Norwood pointed out what Harper did in her situation was verbatim.

Still, according to the official complaint and jury demand, two minutes and seven seconds after turning on his lights, Officer Dunn proceeded to perform a Precision Immobilization Technique (PIT) maneuver, as he pulled up to the side of her vehicle and nudged the left side, causing Harper's car to veer across the interstate and hit the concrete median and flip.

https://www.newsweek.com/dash-cam-video-shows-police-officer-flipping-pregnant-womans-car-while-attempting-pit-maneuver-1599210

Oh, and then we have these gems.

Dunn's body mic caught a conversation between the two after the crash. He asked her, "why didn't you stop?"

"Because I didn't feel it was safe," she responded. Dunn said, "Well, this is where you ended up."

Harper, according to Norwood, was charged for fleeing. She filed a lawsuit in May against the Arkansas State Police for using negligent and excessive force.

Dunn, according to the body mic, can be heard saying: "no we don't anticipate vehicles rolling over nor do we want that to happen. All you had to do was slow down and stop."

"I did slow down, 

My mom drove out here a few years ago to pick up a new dog from us, and she drove through Arkansas. She got pulled over late at night by a Arkansas State Trooper. Why? Because her license plate frame covered part of the word California on her license plate. Not the entire word, just like the cop of the C. That's apparently against the law in Arkansas, but not against the law in California, you know, where the car is obviously +++++ing registered. The guy was complete belligerent with her, and gave her a ticket for it. Then he warned her not to drive through the state on her way home, because he'd pull her over again if he saw her, and "wouldn't be nice" next time. I guess she's lucky that she didn't have her car flipped for not pulling over fast enough.

37 minutes ago, Wyoguns said:

I seriously doubt your claim.  

Really?

I think a lot of cops are like that.

Like the cops who cheered the abuse of a woman with dementia:

Video Shows Police Laughing at Footage of Arrest of Woman With Dementia

The woman, who walked out of a Walmart in Loveland, Colo., without paying for $13.88 worth of items, said in a lawsuit that the police had broken a bone in her arm and dislocated her shoulder.

Cop finally got to live out his action movie fantasies by assaulting a pregnant woman 

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

1 hour ago, CV147 said:

Really?

There are certainly cops who are dumbasses out there but I doubt most of them cheered this clown on.  I’m guessing way more of them cringed while reading this.

2 hours ago, Wyoguns said:

I seriously doubt your claim.  

20 minutes ago, Wyoguns said:

There are certainly cops who are dumbasses out there but I doubt most of them cheered this clown on.  I’m guessing way more of them cringed while reading this.

I think you will be sadly mistaken. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

2 hours ago, CV147 said:

Really?

And just what are you basing that on? A case here or there? That doesn't equate to "a lot of cops". 

Regardless of your comment, which is dumb, the decision to do a pit maneuver was incredibly bad judgement. He should be disciplined and this will be a point of emphasis in training in the department/state. She wasn't hurt and is suing the department. I'm not sure why putting him in cuffs would be the appropriate action. 

7 minutes ago, Slapdad said:

And just what are you basing that on? A case here or there? That doesn't equate to "a lot of cops". 

Regardless of your comment, which is dumb, the decision to do a pit maneuver was incredibly bad judgement. He should be disciplined and this will be a point of emphasis in training in the department/state. She wasn't hurt and is suing the department. I'm not sure why putting him in cuffs would be the appropriate action. 

I think brutality, abuse, and needless escalation of force are all rampant. That type of behavior is indicative, to me, of a problem with police officers' mentalities and views of those they serve. I think it is a lot of them.

And yes, put him in handcuffs. What he did was reckless endangerment and/or assault with a deadly weapon.

19 minutes ago, Slapdad said:

https://buffalonews.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/57-members-of-buffalo-police-riot-response-team-resign-after-shoving-incident/article_c61fdb39-1634-5efb-b570-0def10ed5710.html
https://www.thisamericanlife.org/414/right-to-remain-silent/act-two-0
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/07/what-police-departments-do-whistle-blowers/613687/

Not only is it not just bad apples, police departments actively destroy good apples. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

23 minutes ago, Slapdad said:

because we tend to place a greater emphasis on the action rather than the result.

1 hour ago, Slapdad said:

All cops are bad.  Pigs working a broken system.  He should not be disciplined, he should be behind bars.

1 hour ago, happycamper said:

Reminds me of a friend of mine who filled out an application for the Bakersfield Police Department a few years ago. He's a smart guy, graduated with honors in high school, got an AA in nursing and works as a paramedic. He loves helping people and after several years of working as a paramedic he wanted to give Law Enforcement a try, so he put in an application for the police department. He used one of his friends who is already in the department as a reference. During the interview the officer asked him, "at any point in your life have ever taken an illicit substance such as marijuana, ecstasy, heroin, cocaine, or meth?". He told the officer that he had never used any substances except for one hit of weed when he was 15 years old in high school. At that point the officer rushed through the interview and sent him on his way. He called his friend and asked what happened and his friend said "you were too honest". This guy is a saint and he was hoping to become an officer so he could try to stop deadly situations rather than mop up the aftermath.    

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

My buddy has pitted a few cars in his decade and a half in the CHP. I'm curious to hear his critique.

From my layman's perspective, there was an exit coming up with a half-mile or so, she had her hazards on, she wasn't speeding up to evade, and traffic was hellalight. I don't see whyTF he had to pit her when he did; it seemed wholly unnecessary and excessive. Again, I'll be curious to see what my buddy has to say tho...

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

13 minutes ago, ridgeview2 said:

Reminds me of a friend of mine who filled out an application for the Bakersfield Police Department a few years ago. He's a smart guy, graduated with honors in high school, got an AA in nursing and works as a paramedic. He loves helping people and after several years of working as a paramedic he wanted to give Law Enforcement a try, so he put in an application for the police department. He used one of his friends who is already in the department as a reference. During the interview the officer asked him, "at any point in your life have ever taken an illicit substance such as marijuana, ecstasy, heroin, cocaine, or meth?". He told the officer that he had never used any substances except for one hit of weed when he was 15 years old in high school. At that point the officer rushed through the interview and sent him on his way. He called his friend and asked what happened and his friend said "you were too honest". This guy is a saint and he was hoping to become an officer so he could try to stop deadly situations rather than mop up the aftermath.    

Correct.  Being a lying piece of shit is a requirement to be a police officer.  Tell your friend he is lucky.