Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Aslowhiteguy

LA Sheriff to increase CCW permits

Good. Even better would be to remove the requirement for a concealed weapons permit altogether.

Constitutional carry is where they need to be.

Any permit, really, is just the government taking away a right and then charging you money for it to be returned. It's discriminatory against those in lower incomes, and against people of color.

Criminals don't care about a permit, and law-abiding citizens shouldn't have to either.

22 minutes ago, Akkula said:

season 14 episode 13 GIF

We’ve had Constitutional Carry in Arizona since 2010. Everyone like you claimed it would turn us into the Wild West. It’s been quite the opposite. 

I’d prefer people to conceal carry. Open carrying makes me think you’re an asshole

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

Here is where I’ve changed my tune on guns. In an ideal world, no one, not even cops, would have them. We don’t live in that world. So fine. Everyone can have a gun. I don’t care. But rights come with responsibilities. If your gun is used to commit a crime you get the maximum sentence. If you let someone borrow your gun and they accidentally kill someone with it, you both go down for involuntary manslaughter with the maximum penalty. If someone steals your gun and uses it to hold up a liquor store, you go down for armed robbery along with the perpetrator. If your aggro teen that you’ve been verbally abusing his whole life under the guise of “discipline” and “tough love” takes your gun to school and murders a bunch of his classmates, you’re culpable.

I think this is a fair compromise. 

8 minutes ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

Here is where I’ve changed my tune on guns. In an ideal world, no one, not even cops, would have them. We don’t live in that world. So fine. Everyone can have a gun. I don’t care. But rights come with responsibilities. If your gun is used to commit a crime you get the maximum sentence. If you let someone borrow your gun and they accidentally kill someone with it, you both go down for involuntary manslaughter with the maximum penalty. If someone steals your gun and uses it to hold up a liquor store, you go down for armed robbery along with the perpetrator. If your aggro teen that you’ve been verbally abusing his whole life under the guise of “discipline” and “tough love” takes your gun to school and murders a bunch of his classmates, you’re culpable.

I think this is a fair compromise. 

I think you're on the right path, but what about someone who steals something else of yours to perpetrate a crime? What if you loan a car to someone who then drives into a crowd? What if you loan a knife to someone?

At some point, we have to separate the object from the owner. The owner of an object borrowed or stolen is not the perpetrator of the crime; the actual person doing illegal things is the criminal. I think this is hard for people on the left to understand.

12 minutes ago, CV147 said:

I think you're on the right path, but what about someone who steals something else of yours to perpetrate a crime? What if you loan a car to someone who then drives into a crowd? What if you loan a knife to someone?

At some point, we have to separate the object from the owner. The owner of an object borrowed or stolen is not the perpetrator of the crime; the actual person doing illegal things is the criminal. I think this is hard for people on the left to understand.

I had a gun stolen from me.  Had a lock box in the back of the truck, somebody with bolt cutters broke into it and took my rifle.

@SJSUMFA2013 if that rifle is used to kill somebody in the future, should I do a life bid?

18 minutes ago, CV147 said:

At some point, we have to separate the object from the owner. The object borrowed or stolen is not the perpetrator of the crime; the actual person doing illegal things is the criminal. I think this is hard for people on the left to understand.

I’m reminded all the time that there’s no constitutional right to knives or cars, so that’s a false equivalency.

5 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I had a gun stolen from me.  Had a lock box in the back of the truck, somebody with bolt cutters broke into it and took my rifle.

@SJSUMFA2013 if that rifle is used to kill somebody in the future, should I do a life bid?

Yes. Gotta take better care of it than that. I’m surprised you’d be so careless.

1 minute ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

Yes. Gotta take better care of it than that. I’m surprised you’d be so careless.

I mean, having somebody come by with bolt cutters on the South Fork of the Salmon is pretty...unreasonable to expect.  Most people do not even lock their cars up there.

2 minutes ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

So basically what you are saying is that guns should be in a gun safe at all times, in order to have a gun.  Can't be on your person, you could get held up and robbed.  Can't be in your car.  Somebody could break a window.

Seems...really dumb.

2 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I mean, having somebody come by with bolt cutters on the South Fork of the Salmon is pretty...unreasonable to expect.  Most people do not even lock their cars up there.

1 minute ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

So basically what you are saying is that guns should be in a gun safe at all times, in order to have a gun.  Can't be on your person, you could get held up and robbed.  Can't be in your car.  Somebody could break a window.

Seems...really dumb.

“You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead hands…or the back of my truck.”

Just now, SJSUMFA2013 said:

Again, no constitutional right to cars. False equivalency 

Somebody reads a book, and the book inspires them to kill John Lennon, you throwing J.D. Salinger in prison?  A lawyer provides bad council, and the man he was representing gets put to death, it later comes out he was innocent.  You frying the lawyer?

Also, wouldn't the fact that owning a car is NOT a constitutional right be more reason to be held accountable?

The right is to bear arms bear arms.  Not the right to own them and keep them in a gun safe 24/7.  

6 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Somebody reads a book, and the book inspires them to kill John Lennon, you throwing J.D. Salinger in prison?  A lawyer provides bad council, and the man he was representing gets put to death, it later comes out he was innocent.  You frying the lawyer?

Also, wouldn't the fact that owning a car is NOT a constitutional right be more reason to be held accountable?

The right is to bear arms bear arms.  Not the right to own them and keep them in a gun safe 24/7.  

I am told all the time that guns are exceptional and therefore traditional rules of ownership - like insurance - do not apply. Fine with me. But then shouldn’t other things - like limited liability - not apply either?

Just now, SJSUMFA2013 said:

I am told all the time that guns are exceptional and therefore traditional rules of ownership - like insurance - do not apply. Fine with me. But then shouldn’t other things - like limited liability - not apply either?

Not for a constitutional right.  No.  That is kinda the point.  Again, if, say, somebody writes a scathing article about how Trump supporters are destroying America, and it inspires somebody to run over a MAGA rally, is the journalist responsible?  I mean without THEIR words, those people would still be alive.  If an amazing defense lawyer gets a murderer off, and he kills again do we go after the lawyer?  I mean without HIM, there would be one less death.

I am all for responsible gun ownership but it is impossible to guarantee your possessions will never be stolen.  Even safes get heisted.