Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

halfmanhalfbronco

Crazy things that happened to you recently.

Not really a "crazy" thing that happened, but definitely a funny experience.

We went and visited my wife's family in southwest Wyoming over the weekend for a wedding. To avoid having to help set up the reception, we went and visited my wife's grandparents farm for lunch and to let the kids play with the animals, since their exposure to farm life has been pretty limited up to this point.

Well, when we arrived, great-grandpa handed my 6 year old an apron and told him to put it on. We happened to visit on chicken culling day. They have a dozen or so chickens, but 4 of them were some broiler variety that were ready to go at 10 weeks. They were about 12 weeks old, so these giant things were so big they couldn't even stand up. Grandpa tried to give my son the tree loppers, but my wife said no, so instead grandpa made him hold the bucket underneath to catch the head. Some of the birds were so big, they couldn't fit in the kill cone and needed to be held down on the workbench.

He was a little spooked with the first one, until they tumbled it in the plucking machine which he thought was hilarious. Then he was all hands-on for the other birds from start to finish.

Meanwhile my 3 year old was just hanging out in the barn chasing the baby goats around. Good times. Only in Wyoming...

9 hours ago, ridgeview2 said:

What happened to me wasn't necessarily crazy, but it really pissed me off. In January, my mother-in-law passed away and she left all of her assets including the house to my wife and I. I was living in Bakersfield at the time and the house was a million times better than the little apartment we were living in, so we packed up and moved. I kept my job at the school I was working at, but that meant I had to commute nearly 120 miles round trip every day. I managed to finish off the year and I started looking for other schools to transfer to that was closer to our home in Visalia. There was a school I subbed at for several years prior that had an opening for my field. I submitted an application and I got a call the next week from the administration for an interview. I went in and knocked the interview out of the park. I knew there were a lot of applicants, but I had a good rapport with the students and staff at the school so I was hoping that might give me an edge. A week later I heard nothing, then my master teacher who works at the school called and informed me that they hired the vice principal's daughter who has zero full time classroom experience and is not even finished with the credential program. It was straight up nepotism and I felt betrayed that I went in with the administration looking at me dead in the face knowing they had already made their decision before even interviewing me.    

Happens at the CC level too. They’re only hiring one person and they already have a favorite adjunct that they want to promote. But the law says they have to post the job publicly and do a certain # of interviews. I drove all over the state to sham interviews for two years trying to land a FT gig. I finally got hired in a department that was hiring 4 people instead of just one. The other 3 besides me had all been adjuncts there previously.  

Had to give an immunization to an eccentric patient in a "hazmat suit". I think it was actually one of the photo lab suits and looked like a costume from willy Wonka. He wanted me to cut a hole in the shoulder to give the shot...

unnamed~2.png

Recently?

One of my closest friends decided to quasi-elope this summer and asked me to officiate his wedding, so f*ck if I'm not an ordained minister now.

When I received the email from ULC addressing me as "Reverend," I think I actually heard God face palm. :ph34r:

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

16 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Post all the bizarre things that happen in your day to day life here that are not thread worthy  

I had a meeting, stopped at a well known bourbon bar on the way home to have a few pours.  First time I’ve had a drink at a bar alone since March 2020.  It was bizarre.  

We had a mysterious sonic boom apparently felt over a pretty wide area here in San Diego county.  Actually knocked a little picture my put up in her office with one of those adhesive things off of the wall.

....  I'm not saying it's aliens....but it's aliens.

Other than that, just sharing the road once more with my fellow commuters as they come out of their COVID coma has been pure joy.  PURE.JOY.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

18 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Do I really give off a "I could score some organs" vibe?

I mean this is how I have always pictured you.

the big lebowski film GIF by Coolidge Corner Theatre

Not really but you do know @Joe from WY and I bet he knows a guy who knows a guy that could procure a kidney.

14 hours ago, ridgeview2 said:

What happened to me wasn't necessarily crazy, but it really pissed me off. In January, my mother-in-law passed away and she left all of her assets including the house to my wife and I. I was living in Bakersfield at the time and the house was a million times better than the little apartment we were living in, so we packed up and moved. I kept my job at the school I was working at, but that meant I had to commute nearly 120 miles round trip every day. I managed to finish off the year and I started looking for other schools to transfer to that was closer to our home in Visalia. There was a school I subbed at for several years prior that had an opening for my field. I submitted an application and I got a call the next week from the administration for an interview. I went in and knocked the interview out of the park. I knew there were a lot of applicants, but I had a good rapport with the students and staff at the school so I was hoping that might give me an edge. A week later I heard nothing, then my master teacher who works at the school called and informed me that they hired the vice principal's daughter who has zero full time classroom experience and is not even finished with the credential program. It was straight up nepotism and I felt betrayed that I went in with the administration looking at me dead in the face knowing they had already made their decision before even interviewing me.    

Something similar, but not to me. I was on the hiring board. The director had her mind made up, I found out this out  during interviews, before going in. After interviewing all the prospects, some very qualified and experienced individuals, she announces we would be interviewing one more person. Another directors relative. No experience in our field, I caught a couple of lies during the interview and I felt there was some immaturity. Another member agreed with me. After a day of back-and-forth with director, I renegaded on my and my coworker's original decision and went along with the director's decision. It was clear there was no changing her mind. That shit is infuriating!

19 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

So, this old lady I met after she filed an FCC complaint against the company I worked for, had a crazy request.  My job was to smooth things over with those who complained to the FCC or BBB, this gave me wide leeway, including exchanging phone numbers, social media accounts.  I would then type out a published resolution for each complaint.  This lady, we royally screwed, so I went above and beyond to make things right, including giving her about $1000 in equipment and another $300 in service.  Apparently I did such a good job she felt comfortable enough to ask me to help find her kidney, a year later.

image.png.7c1138352c9016873bcd394b909c7a89.png

I politely told her I would not know where to find a kidney.  Her response was, "figured you of all people would know where *insert relative name* might have some luck, she has cash"

Do I really give off a "I could score some organs" vibe?

Did you tell her you have no experience as a Vegas hotel concierge? They can get anything!

14 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

A book that was given to me 20 years ago, that I never looked at until recently, turned out to be a first edition with a signed note from the author. 

I want it to be this book.

469fe046567a3ce50e98d28cd8fff2c5748abbdb.jpg

Not really crazy or anything. But I was leaving a shopping center earlier today, came to a four way stop, let the cars that were there before me go, and then as I stated making my left hand turn, this Karen lady in a Camry just starts turning right without ever coming to a stop. I slam my brakes on, lay in on the horn, and she starts screaming at me.

I just start laughing, go past her, and go on my way. We end up next to each other on the actual road at a stoplight, she rolls her window down and starts screaming that I need to understand how the road works, and that she didn't have a stop sign (mind you, four way stop), and that she's going to call the police and have me arrested. Meanwhile, I'm just listening to Sublime sing about riots in Los Angeles with my window down. The light goes green, I glance at her, give her the finger, and drive. 

She followed me around for five minutes after that while I drove around another shopping center waiting for my pick-up order to be ready. :rotflmfao:

2 hours ago, SDSUfan said:

We had a mysterious sonic boom apparently felt over a pretty wide area here in San Diego county.  Actually knocked a little picture my put up in her office with one of those adhesive things off of the wall.

That was just Dre's mom farting.

35 minutes ago, retrofade said:

Not really crazy or anything. But I was leaving a shopping center earlier today, came to a four way stop, let the cars that were there before me go, and then as I stated making my left hand turn, this Karen lady in a Camry just starts turning right without ever coming to a stop. I slam my brakes on, lay in on the horn, and she starts screaming at me.

I just start laughing, go past her, and go on my way. We end up next to each other on the actual road at a stoplight, she rolls her window down and starts screaming that I need to understand how the road works, and that she didn't have a stop sign (mind you, four way stop), and that she's going to call the police and have me arrested. Meanwhile, I'm just listening to Sublime sing about riots in Los Angeles with my window down. The light goes green, I glance at her, give her the finger, and drive. 

She followed me around for five minutes after that while I drove around another shopping center waiting for my pick-up order to be ready. :rotflmfao:

FWIW I found that gesturing to bad drivers to give me a blow job is way more satisfying then just flipping them off... they literally lose their shit.

28 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

FWIW I found that gesturing to bad drivers to give me a blow job is way more satisfying then just flipping them off... they literally lose their shit.

Laughing Out Loud GIF by memecandy

Oh man, I'm gonna have to try that.

2 hours ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

Something similar, but not to me. I was on the hiring board. The director had her mind made up, I found out this out  during interviews, before going in. After interviewing all the prospects, some very qualified and experienced individuals, she announces we would be interviewing one more person. Another directors relative. No experience in our field, I caught a couple of lies during the interview and I felt there was some immaturity. Another member agreed with me. After a day of back-and-forth with director, I renegaded on my and my coworker's original decision and went along with the director's decision. It was clear there was no changing her mind. That shit is infuriating!

You should’ve held your ground. Never lose your integrity. You never get it back. Some hills are worth dying on. That was one of them.

51 minutes ago, sean327 said:

You should’ve held your ground. Never lose your integrity. You never get it back. Some hills are worth dying on. That was one of them.

I didn't lose any integrity. While I didn't like my director's decision I have a good work relationship with her. It was obvious that her mind was set. There was no changing it. I felt there was more behind her decision, a secret agreement sort of thing.  Luckily, I was on another hiring panel right before or after that. We came to a majority decision and hired the best candidate. That helped balanced my foul mood from the questionable hire.

Crazy in a good way - last month traveling to my cabin in Wisconsin, about 30 miles north of Casper Wyoming the battery light comes on in my T100 pickup. I flipped a u-turn, headed back to Casper and thankfully did not break down on the road. I pulled into the Toyota dealer 10 minutes after noon, it was a slow day for them, I was out of there in less than an hour and a half. Thank God I didn't break down midway between Gillette and Casper.

110926run_defense710.jpg

On 6/9/2021 at 3:38 PM, TheSanDiegan said:

Sorry for my ignorance, I don't know what that gesture would be??

110926run_defense710.jpg