Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

misplacedcowboy

Biden/Harris building on Trump's border policy?

9 hours ago, tailingpermit said:

No wall is effective without supervision. 

Did we build that portion of the wall by the river, or was it a private company that was trying to win a bid?

The Border is the river.  You can’t build a wall near the border without cutting off access the river for many species and/or causing major flooding on the other side.

if it takes supervision regardless.  Have 1/2 mile or 1 mile of sensors or monitors versus a 14 ft wall.  It’s more effective and harder to avoid.   What it’s not is a physical symbolism of Trump’s ego.  

44 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Your contention is that political operatives emphasize issues that are important to voters for political reasons? Groundbreaking stuff.

Your previous post seemingly implied that it was for a righteous, principled reason.

44 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Sorry man, I know a lot of smooth brained progressive thought would like to believe that only unenlightened rubes think illegal immigration is a problem. But over 20 years spanning across four administrations the percent of people that see it as a worrisome problem has never dropped below 52%, has been as high as 70%, and currently sits at 60%. It’s not just nativist reactionaries.

That wasn't the point. That you're going that route with your response is telling. Reactionary responses aren't exclusive to "nativist reactionaries." Most people are afraid of change, even those fashioning themselves as left-of-center. As an example, NIMBYism is often motivated by it. 

10 hours ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Yeah.  Heaven forbid she actually gets eyes on the problems she's been tasked to address.   

Dude in fairness the root cause isn’t at the border.  It’s in the NT.   Do you treat someone bleeding out by putting a bandaid on the skin or deal with the cut artery? 

48 minutes ago, grandjean87 said:

I might have a little agreement in the middle of your post, but seriously you lost me at “they are committing a crime.”  I don’t think you get why (some) people from one small region are trying to get here knowing something of what it entails while other migrations don’t  exist in meaningful numbers, reversed, or are at much lower levels. I don’t care about phony asylum laws twice stuck down.  We have plenty of resources to handle this situation, much of America’s making historically, and that is where policy should have been long ago. 

Our world views appear far apart.  Not sure how to bridge, but give it a shot — your serve.

It’s a crime. That’s not a worldview or my opinion, that’s reality. 

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/8/1325

I’m not opposed to increased legal immigration from the NT or anywhere else for that matter, except Canada. Nor am I someone who thinks we should only be taking doctors and engineers. Just as nobody is as fervent as a born again Christian, nobody will love America as dearly as an immigrant that comes here with very little. But we’re just not going to see eye to eye on not enforcing the law.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

1 hour ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

They are committing a crime. They should be charged with committing a crime. If people don’t want it to be a crime, that’s fine. But you gotta run on that and pass some legislation. This hee hawing like it isn’t a crime, like some new day is upon us and everybody will be reunited when in fact they will not get to stay, is an obscenely cruel deception. It incentivizes illegal immigration, puts record numbers of people at the mercy of human traffickers, and overwhelms our system that does not have the facilities or personnel to deal with them which is exactly what we’ve seen each successive month. It is by far more wicked than enforcing the law and making it clear in no uncertain terms they will not get to stay.

Remain in Mexico reduced illegal immigration and eased the stress on our system. Abandoning it has had predictably dismal results.

In other words make someone else responsible for our problems.  The gangs their came from the US.  The drug demand funding them is from the US.....

but +++++ it, it’s Mexico’s problem....

24 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Dude in fairness the root cause isn’t at the border.  It’s in the NT.   Do you treat someone bleeding out by putting a bandaid on the skin or deal with the cut artery? 

First thing I'd do is take a look. Especially if I was already in neighborhood.  Maybe even say hello to some of the people who are applying the bandaids.

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

11 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

In other words make someone else responsible for our problems.  The gangs their came from the US.  The drug demand funding them is from the US.....

but +++++ it, it’s Mexico’s problem....

What the hell are you babbling about now. 

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

20 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

First thing I'd do is take a look. Especially if I was already in neighborhood.  Maybe even say hello to some of the people who are applying the bandaids.

Perhaps but the root cause of the problem is in the Northern Triangle.  

2 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

It’s a crime. That’s not a worldview or my opinion, that’s reality. 

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/8/1325

I’m not opposed to increased legal immigration from the NT or anywhere else for that matter, except Canada. Nor am I someone who thinks we should only be taking doctors and engineers. Just as nobody is as fervent as a born again Christian, nobody will love America as dearly as an immigrant that comes here with very little. But we’re just not going to see eye to eye on not enforcing the law.

Opposing it on principle solely because it's illegal? In your mind, should Marijuana users also be punished? Not trying to derail the topic here, just seeing how consistent your "enforce the law" take is.

18 minutes ago, Maji said:

Supporting something in abstract, but opposing it on principle solely because it's illegal? Jeez, it's like seeing my own reflection from high school.

In your mind, should Marijuana users also be punished? Not trying to derail the topic here, just seeing how consistent your "enforce the law" take is.

I don’t support illegal immigration in the abstract.

In Nevada no, marijuana is legal. But I never once did any illegal drug under the illusion that what I was doing wasn’t illegal or the authorities shouldn’t do their job if they caught me. I think halfman should able to kill five ranchers per year and wear their skins as a gilly suit, but until murder is made legal he should absolutely be arrested and prosecuted for it.

1 minute ago, sactowndog said:

Good question.  We shall see.  But if you are going to address the problem best to go after the root cause.  Don’t you agree?

It's not that simple. 

There is simply no excuse for her as the border czar to not visit the border. If for no other reason than the optics. I'm guessing she's wishes she had.

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

3 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

It's not that simple. 

There is simply no excuse for her as the border czar to not visit the border. If for no other reason than the optics. I'm guessing she's wishes she had.

Part of me kinda hopes putting her in this impossible position for a Democrat is an ice cold “+++++ you” from Biden for what she pulled in the first debate.

1 hour ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

I don’t support illegal immigration in the abstract.

I'm suggesting if it wasn't illegal. Scratch the "abstract" portion of the sentence, it didn't come off well. I blame mobile.

Basically, your hangup is the legality. A law and order sort of guy.