UNLV2001

12 Team CFB playoff ?

9 hours ago, HawaiiMongoose said:

Agreed.  While I think BYU would opt for the AAC over the MWC, if the Cougars did want to come back it would make the most sense to pair them with North Texas.  While the Mean Green haven’t done much in football lately, they’ve been better than Texas State and UTEP.  They’ve also been solid in hoops the past couple of years.

I get the sense North Texas would be just "there."  A warm body who won't hurt the MWC, but won't really move the needle much either.  

As an aside, I bet UH is even happier than Boise fans with the CFP expansion proposal.  If approved, Boise will have every incentive to remain here, and Hawaii needn't worry about possibly visiting potato land in all sports every two years.  

Peace and harmony in the MWC.

Now about revisiting that $1.8 million annual bonus Boise is guaranteed... :ph34r:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
51 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

I don't see anything wrong with this.

It's not about right or wrong, I just assume the Autonomy group looks out for themselves...so I won't be shocked if they just go top 12 in the final rankings and drop the top 6 conf champs. We'll see. 

41 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

If they earned it. I don't know why so many people have so much angst about the SEC. It's the best league by a landslide

I don't disagree about the SEC, but I think there are teams in that league that get more credit than they deserve simply by sharing a conference with Alabama, LSU and Georgia to the detriment of teams in other conferences.

1 hour ago, Jack Bauer said:

I think UTEP would be a horrible addition. It's redundant with the New Mexico market, doesn't add a TV market, doesn't add recruiting. Would make much more sense to try and bring in a program like Montana or Montana State that has some actual potential. I know I give the NDSU clowns around here a lot of grief, but I'd even consider them before UTEP.

Even Tarleton State before UTEP.

• Like 1

I think UTEP would be a horrible addition. It's redundant with the New Mexico market, doesn't add a TV market, doesn't add recruiting. Would make much more sense to try and bring in a program like Montana or Montana State that has some actual potential. I know I give the NDSU clowns around here a lot of grief, but I'd even consider them before UTEP.

The Montana schools have great programs but I don’t think they have anything close to the money to make such a move. The closest program like that IMHO is NDSU. Plus you get an on the field product that could help get your conference some wins.

15 hours ago, sactowndog said:

If they go undefeated the AAC team will have one loss for sure.  

There were one loss teams ahead of undefeated MW teams the last two years for stretches.  The separation is getting wider not smaller.  It’s going to take a legitimate down year from the aac and an undefeated run from the MWC, sunbelt, MAC, cusa to get in.  But at least that’s possible, unlike the current system.  

After observing the last decade or so, I'm not sure the BYU administration really gives a crap about this stuff. They've done so many things that have hurt their brand. They don't care about participating in this unless it happened spontaneously. I don't think they'll take a pay cut to joint the MWC or AAC for supposed access. It's become the Globetrotters of CFB

No you don't. You just have to be rated in the top 6. Boise went to the first Access Bowl.

The AAC would be a pay raise, and UCF went to the first access bowl after the change.

2 hours ago, Jack Bauer said:

The American doesn't have any leverage over BYU.

Join a league. CFB is about leagues.

American has all the leverage now.  The only leverage byu has is if they want to stay independent, but even they want in on the money train.  They aren’t getting in the playoff without being in a conference and the aac is the best option.  

You contradicted yourself with your second statement, you know its true. Your fanbase knows it’s true- the entire front page of your forum is various threads about joining the aac.  And most importantly aresco knows it’s true.  Luckily the aac has the best access to the playoff outside the sec now, they don’t have to expand unless it gets them more money.

6 minutes ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

The AAC would be a pay raise, and UCF went to the first access bowl after the change.

Ditching Gonzaga, Saint Mary's and Pepperdine and getting excited about ECU and Tulane is a tall task.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, e-zone99 said:

Actually, BYU might tone down their scheduling if this happens.  One thing for sure is this would be great news for BYU, because if this give them a clear path to the College Football Playoff with 6 at large spots to the highest ranked team after the 6 highest conference champions are taken (no conference membership is required to receive an at large).

BYU isn't getting an at large spot over ND, SEC #2-4, B1G #2-3, etc with a schedule like last year

Schedules need to be at least as hard as they are now, which will generally result in 3-5 losses most years.

1 hour ago, Del Scorcho said:

I don't disagree about the SEC, but I think there are teams in that league that get more credit than they deserve simply by sharing a conference with Alabama, LSU and Georgia to the detriment of teams in other conferences.

I see a lot of Utah fans that hate the SEC for whatever reason, but if I'm taking the fourth or fifth best team from a league, more often than not SEC #4-5 will be better than B1G, ACC, Big12, or PAC12 #4 or 5. 

Let's look at 2019, and I get that this isn't the same every year. It would be interesting if someone went through it and looked at the fourth or fifth team in each league the past decade.

Big 12 #4 was 8-5 Oklahoma State

ACC #4 was 8-5 Wake Forest or VaTech

Big10 #4 was Minnesota, 10-2 ranked #10. This was one of the best seasons in the past decade for the Big 10

PAC #4 was 8-5 Cal or 5-7 Oregon State

SEC #4 was Alabama 10-2 and ranked #8, their #5 team was 9-4 Auburn ranked #14. Their sixth team was 8-5 TAMU

Who are you picking out of that group to get the last 2 bids to a playoff? I'm picking Minn, Bama, Auburn for consideration if there's one or two spots left. 

10 minutes ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

American has all the leverage now.  The only leverage byu has is if they want to stay independent, but even they want in on the money train.  They aren’t getting in the playoff without being in a conference and the aac is the best option.  

You contradicted yourself with your second statement, you know its true. Your fanbase knows it’s true- the entire front page of your forum is various threads about joining the aac.  And most importantly aresco knows it’s true.  Luckily the aac has the best access to the playoff outside the sec now, they don’t have to expand unless it gets them more money.

You're being silly. No G5 has anything on BYU. And as good as the AAC is or you think it is, Boise State is still far and away the G5 king.

Let's not forget head to head records where the MWC has a winning record against the AAC and is kicking the shit out of the AAC in the games that count. Nevada and Hawaii made Tulane and Houston look bad last year.

The AAC is in the east, are located in large cities, in States with tons of more people, and have more people watching by default because of the time difference. It's actually hilarious the AAC isn't better than it is. But there is a reason for it.....no one cares about the teams or conference. Just a small niche community. Just like the MWC and MAC.

39 minutes ago, ToTheMountains said:

The Montana schools have great programs but I don’t think they have anything close to the money to make such a move. The closest program like that IMHO is NDSU. Plus you get an on the field product that could help get your conference some wins.

I don't think they do either, but they at least have a history of winning championships sometimes at their current level and being committed to the sport, which I think is more than we can say about UTEP at this point.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
27 minutes ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

No it wouldn't. I know how much the American makes. You don't know how much BYU makes.

22 minutes ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

You only have leverage if you have something BYU wants.
There's no contradiction. I've always wanted BYU in a league. BYU admin doesn't though, so you don't have leverage unless you have something BYU wants. 

BYU could jump in your league whenever it wants, fwiw.

10 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

BYU isn't getting an at large spot over ND, SEC #2-4, B1G #2-3, etc with a schedule like last year

Schedules need to be at least as hard as they are now, which will generally result in 3-5 losses most years.

Do you think it will be one G5 in the tourney only? Pretty sure that will be the case in some years but not all. Remember when both TCU and Boise State played each other in the BCS?

If a few proven G5 power teams are undefeated or only have one loss, I'm guessing they get in. Of course I'm sure Woosh will claim 2 AAC teams will get in before an undefeated Boise, BYU, or Louisiana but I live in reality.

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

There were one loss teams ahead of undefeated MW teams the last two years for stretches.  The separation is getting wider not smaller.  It’s going to take a legitimate down year from the aac and an undefeated run from the MWC, sunbelt, MAC, cusa to get in.  But at least that’s possible, unlike the current system.  

It all depends on who they beat in and out of conference.  

7 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

Do you think it will be one G5 in the tourney only? Pretty sure that will be the case in some years but not all. Remember when both TCU and Boise State played each other in the BCS?

If a few proven G5 power teams are undefeated or only have one loss, I'm guessing they get in. Of course I'm sure Woosh will claim 2 AAC teams will get in before an undefeated Boise, BYU, or Louisiana but I live in reality.

Most years yes. And that's ok, in reality unbeaten SBC or MWC champ isn't likely to be better than SEC#3 or B1G#2.  If they just take top 12 with 6 conf champs guaranteed, I think you'll see some year when a team like Appy State or like that Western Michigan team from a few years ago makes it in addition to the American or MWC team. And maybe htey leave an unbeaten team out, but Appy State isn't going to plow through a four game tournament and win it all. Someday we'll see some upsets if this is the format going forward. Like that year when Boise and TCU were great, they'd have both been likely to have been invited in this format the year they made them play each other. Those teams could have probably won a game or two and made some noise. They were really good teams. I think the UCF team that beat Auburn could have won a game in a 12 team playoff as well. There's others that wouldn't have though, like that Western Michigan team wasn't that great, and neither was the Northern Illinois team that faced Florida State.

• Like 1