UNLV2001

12 Team CFB playoff ?

17 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Really?  Obviously if we had the chance to add BYU, we would look to North Texas or someone to add with them.   

Actually you're probably correct. The last time the MWC was looking at expansion UTEP and Rice was the names people were saying.

UTEP makes the most sense but I think Texas State and North Texas has the most upside with North Texas being the better candidate. But they would probably bring in UTEP.

And because I know people will criticize....UTSA has the worst basketball arena in sports. San Marcos is literally between Austin and San Antonio and has facilities that rival anyone in the G5 and some of the P5 as well. North Texas has a nice stadium and an aging but good sized hoops arena that was nicknamed the snake pit because of all the snakes the would find there after it would rain. They were talking about building a new arena.

But UTEP makes the most sense.

Maybe I’m wrong here but if the MWC were to ever add a team, wouldn’t they try to add a team that consistently WINS? UTEP and North Texas do not scream “Win”. At this point you are trying to create the best situation for your conference to have a member in the playoff. Not to add a team because they are in a state like Texas in which neither have any history of winning. Need to have the strongest group of teams possible. AAC has a lot to offer with Cinci, Memphis, UCF, Houston just to name a few. MWC has Boise, SDSU, sometimes Fresno. Strength needs to be built within the conference.

32 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

Actually you're probably correct. The last time the MWC was looking at expansion UTEP and Rice was the names people were saying.

UTEP makes the most sense but I think Texas State and North Texas has the most upside with North Texas being the better candidate. But they would probably bring in UTEP.

And because I know people will criticize....UTSA has the worst basketball arena in sports. San Marcos is literally between Austin and San Antonio and has facilities that rival anyone in the G5 and some of the P5 as well. North Texas has a nice stadium and an aging but good sized hoops arena that was nicknamed the snake pit because of all the snakes the would find there after it would rain. They were talking about building a new arena.

Yeah I would get a team in the Triangle.  North Texas would be easy.   I have a soft spot for Texas State as I think the MWC would be wise marketing wise to position themselves as the “State” schools..... but lets face North Texas is a R1 level school, part of the UT system, and is in Dallas Fort Worth area.   

The DallasFort Worth–Arlington metropolitan statistical area's population was 7,573,136 according to the U.S. Census Bureau's 2019 population estimates, making it the most populous metropolitan area in both Texas and the Southern United States, the fourth-largest in the U.S., and the tenth-largest in the Americas.

The real question is why haven’t we added them already.   

22 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Yeah I would get a team in the Triangle.  North Texas would be easy.   I have a soft spot for Texas State as I think the MWC would be wise marketing wise to position themselves as the “State” schools..... but lets face North Texas is a R1 level school, part of the UT system, and is in Dallas Fort Worth area.   

The DallasFort Worth–Arlington metropolitan statistical area's population was 7,573,136 according to the U.S. Census Bureau's 2019 population estimates, making it the most populous metropolitan area in both Texas and the Southern United States, the fourth-largest in the U.S., and the tenth-largest in the Americas.

I'd say most Texas schools like playing on the east coast for recruiting and exposure.

2 hours ago, Ibanez said:

No.  That is all.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, AztecSU said:

If this sticks it will lead to the top 4-6 G5 programs blowing the bottom half of P5 out of the water in recruiting. Now, the top 3 programs in the MW and AAC have an easier path to the CFP than the Oregon States and Vandy's and Rutgers of the world who basically never have a shot at winning their conference. 

This would be beautiful to watch unfold.  Could lead to more merit based payoff for exposure and over time money.  This would make us invest in the conference and ourselves rather than only looking towards a P5 invite to change our situations.  

• Cheers 1
2 hours ago, sactowndog said:

Agreed.  While I think BYU would opt for the AAC over the MWC, if the Cougars did want to come back it would make the most sense to pair them with North Texas.  While the Mean Green haven’t done much in football lately, they’ve been better than Texas State and UTEP.  They’ve also been solid in hoops the past couple of years.

North Texas is not part of the UT system, their football stadium is meh, and their bball arena is known as the Super Pit, not the Snake Pit.

Texas State's facilities are OK but not the best.

2 hours ago, RSF said:

North Texas is not part of the UT system, their football stadium is meh, and their bball arena is known as the Super Pit, not the Snake Pit.

I like their football stadium. Actually Iike almost everything about Denton. And I'm pretty sure it was called the snake pit. I could be wrong.

As for Texas States facilities they are nice. Not sure what you're comparing them too. If you're comparing them to Texas or Baylor then yeah, they might be lacking. But comparing them to Sunbelt and C-USA school then they are better than most. I've been to a few P5 stadiums that weren't any better.

2 hours ago, RSF said:

Seriously dude. Google. 

Screenshot_20210611-095356.png

On 6/8/2021 at 2:12 PM, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

It’s a step in the right direction but 16 seems smarter.  The four ‘best’ teams getting extra time off doesn’t seem competitively just.  12 is bad for all the g5 conferences but especially the other 4.  The aac/rogue g5 gets a team in but gets the cards stacked against them while the p5 adds 7 more teams with easier schedule? I don’t think so.  Just keep it the way it is and let the PAC/big 12 squirm in getting left out year after year.  If they can’t do it right and make it a true tournament then the g5 needs to stick together and vote no.  The proposed 12 team will kill realignment which is the only hope of moving up and just give the aac scraps.  It will make things worse. 

How dumb would the G5 be to turn down a chance at an actual meaningful postseason opportunity?

The talent will disperse throughout college football over time so that Alabama, Clemson, and Ohio State don't gobble up every single good player. Kids go there now because they see they can play for that. If they see their hometown team can have an opportunity, they're more likely to stay home over the course of time and this will introduce more parity in to the system.

• Like 3
On 6/8/2021 at 5:39 PM, ViAggie said:

Don't be surprised to eventually see Houston and Cinci get a Big 12 invite some day down the road. 

What's the incentive for the B12 to expand with this news?

On 6/9/2021 at 12:58 AM, NorthWestCowboy said:

I'm not a fan whatsoever of first round byes.  I'd rather see an 8-team format than 12.  I don't think we'll ever see a 16-team FBS playoff.

12 is better than 8

21 hours ago, Ibanez said:

I would say it's likely 2 G5 champs make the playoff every year. That's big news. I wonder if it's better for teams on the G5 to schedule heavy on their OOC or not. What's more impressive:

Boise State losing to PAC-12 champ Oregon close but beating Michigan State, BYU, and a G5 team, and going undefeated on conference.

Louisiana losing to a ranked SEC team, beating a ranked SEC team and going undefeated.

Or UCF going undefeated in conference but not dominating anyone, beating an FCS team, a mod level G6 team, and two P5 teams that don't make bowl games or going 6-6.

To me BSU and Louisiana would be more deserving but the Sunbelt is the weaker conference. But we have seen where SEC teams always get a benefit of the doubt on the rankings.

At least one, which is an improvement over the current system.

2 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

How dumb would the G5 be to turn down a chance at an actual meaningful postseason opportunity?

The talent will disperse throughout college football over time so that Alabama, Clemson, and Ohio State don't gobble up every single good player. Kids go there now because they see they can play for that. If they see their hometown team can have an opportunity, they're more likely to stay home over the course of time and this will introduce more parity in to the system.

I think the post earlier was right about the top G5 teams and possibly even BYU getting stronger after this. If I'm a four star recruit, I have no desire to be a backup at LSU for two years and I probably have no desire to play at Maryland or Kansas.

But a school like UCF and SDSU who have a legit shot at the playoff and I'm probably getting playtime as a Freshman?

• Like 3
20 hours ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

I don’t know, you assume ND will get an at-large most years and I don’t think the committee will earmark 1/3rd of the at-large bids to ND and BYU, especially since they have to account for the years the top MWC team finishes higher than the PAC.  The writing has been on the wall for a bit but it seems BYU’s hand is forced now and the aac has leverage to not expand if they don’t want to…I wouldn’t be surprised to see aac get an opportunity to renegotiate their contract with an addition, especially since I believe byu is due for a renegotiation with ESPN.

The American doesn't have any leverage over BYU.

BYU is on an 8 year deal with ESPN that just started.

20 hours ago, Del Scorcho said:

ND getting screwed here IMO

Join a league. CFB is about leagues.

19 hours ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

So does the aac, Mike aresco is like a school kid on social media crowing about his p6 moniker.  There’s been rumors about him getting a contract extension and we’ve been wondering WHYYY but now we can see what’s been happening behind the scenes.

Aresco has played the last decade like a genius.

19 hours ago, AztecSU said:

So if this tweet is accurate I'm going to guess the committee nixes the 6 conf champs + 6 at-large format and they go with top 12 instead. 

I don't see anything wrong with this.

18 hours ago, Del Scorcho said:

what will the record of SEC teams be in the CFP?

4, 5 maybe even 6 teams in? That is the one negative I can forsee 

If they earned it. I don't know why so many people have so much angst about the SEC. It's the best league by a landslide

17 hours ago, ViAggie said:

DO NOT let ybu back in, just say no! They will call eventually, don't do it.  They can join the AAC and play far flung eastern state schools. 

No, they won't.

16 hours ago, Ibanez said:

He doesn't shut up about being a P6.The P5 wouldn't let that ever happen. But this isn't quite the same thing but it's probably the best outcome.

What I'm saying is the committee came up with this idea and then shared it with the other AD's and Presidents. I don't know how much input the others had bit this seems like Hair was doing his job and batting for the little guys for a change. I'd be amazed if two G5's get in. And I think BYU is screwed with the way they schedule. It might be their best interest to call the AAC.

After observing the last decade or so, I'm not sure the BYU administration really gives a crap about this stuff. They've done so many things that have hurt their brand. They don't care about participating in this unless it happened spontaneously. I don't think they'll take a pay cut to joint the MWC or AAC for supposed access. It's become the Globetrotters of CFB

16 hours ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

Except they have to get past the aac too.    There’s the rub for any MWC team.

No you don't. You just have to be rated in the top 6. Boise went to the first Access Bowl.

12 hours ago, Ibanez said:

I think UTEP would be a horrible addition. It's redundant with the New Mexico market, doesn't add a TV market, doesn't add recruiting. Would make much more sense to try and bring in a program like Montana or Montana State that has some actual potential. I know I give the NDSU clowns around here a lot of grief, but I'd even consider them before UTEP.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Ibanez said:

He doesn't shut up about being a P6.The P5 wouldn't let that ever happen. But this isn't quite the same thing but it's probably the best outcome.

What I'm saying is the committee came up with this idea and then shared it with the other AD's and Presidents. I don't know how much input the others had bit this seems like Hair was doing his job and batting for the little guys for a change. I'd be amazed if two G5's get in. And I think BYU is screwed with the way they schedule. It might be their best interest to call the AAC.

Actually, BYU might tone down their scheduling if this happens.  One thing for sure is this would be great news for BYU, because if this give them a clear path to the College Football Playoff with 6 at large spots to the highest ranked team after the 6 highest conference champions are taken (no conference membership is required to receive an at large).