UNLV2001

12 Team CFB playoff ?

6 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

I'd imagine they won't expand now. The AAC will get one of the bids more times than not. Actually I'd say they have enough pull to ways get one of the two bids of there is two bids. 

Looking at the Funbelt, MAC, and C-USA, I'd say they would have to go undefeated to have a chance. And since those teams rely on the P5 money games, it's gonna be a bit rare for them to get a bid over a one loss team from the AAC.

I don’t know, you assume ND will get an at-large most years and I don’t think the committee will earmark 1/3rd of the at-large bids to ND and BYU, especially since they have to account for the years the top MWC team finishes higher than the PAC.  The writing has been on the wall for a bit but it seems BYU’s hand is forced now and the aac has leverage to not expand if they don’t want to…I wouldn’t be surprised to see aac get an opportunity to renegotiate their contract with an addition, especially since I believe byu is due for a renegotiation with ESPN.

6 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

maybe I'm wrong, but I believe that a 12 team CFP would help solidify the MWC conference and keep all current members together?

Probably. But I have to imagine that BSU and the MWC will be back in court again after this football season over $.

2 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

Probably. But I have to imagine that BSU and the MWC will be back in court again after this football season over $.

does Boise think it should get more $$$ by adding those 5 Oregon counties? :D

• Haha 1

Let's run a couple of scenarios based on the information we have.

Here's the bracket for the 2019 season (last "normal" season). Would have been way better than watching LSU steamroll Oklahoma and Clemson. Memphis is the only G5 rep in this scenario.

image.png.38d36fa549c1f0d1354922fa946001ac.png

Now let's take a look at last year. Some REALLY interesting matchups in this one. 2 G5 reps in Cincy and Coastal Carolina. Also shows how Notre Dame has a tougher road being independent.

image.png.fed3daebe4e1feec91575175f342ad9c.png

Looking at these, I'm going to have to say the committe did it right. Win your conference and you've got a pretty good shot at getting in. Yes, most years there will only be one G5 team, but this system guarantees access to the G5 while making sure the rankings still matter. Wins all the way around.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

If this sticks it will lead to the top 4-6 G5 programs blowing the bottom half of P5 out of the water in recruiting. Now, the top 3 programs in the MW and AAC have an easier path to the CFP than the Oregon States and Vandy's and Rutgers of the world who basically never have a shot at winning their conference. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
6 minutes ago, WYO1016 said:

Here's the bracket for the 2019 season (last "normal" season). Would have been way better than watching LSU steamroll Oklahoma and Clemson. Memphis is the only G5 rep in this scenario.

Now let's take a look at last year. Some REALLY interesting matchups in this one. 2 G5 reps in Cincy and Coastal Carolina. Also shows how Notre Dame has a tougher road being independent.

Looking at these, I'm going to have to say the committe did it right. Win your conference and you've got a pretty good shot at getting in. Yes, most years there will only be one G5 team, but this system guarantees access to the G5 while making sure the rankings still matter. Wins all the way around.

hmmm, I wonder if they would match up conference opponents again? Utah and Oregon played in the conference championship game

3 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

hmmm, I wonder if they would match up conference opponents again? Utah and Oregon played in the conference championship game

Good point. I made those purely based on week 16 rankings. I'd think they'll have to have some sort of plan in place to make sure championship games aren't repeated.

1 minute ago, WYO1016 said:

Good point. I made those purely based on week 16 rankings. I'd think they'll have to have some sort of plan in place to make sure championship games aren't repeated.

make it like March Madness where you can't play someone from your own conference until the next round

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, BacksThePack said:

I like that 6 highest champs thing. Some years the B12 or P12 champ is hardly ranked in the last 10 to 15 years.

So does the aac, Mike aresco is like a school kid on social media crowing about his p6 moniker.  There’s been rumors about him getting a contract extension and we’ve been wondering WHYYY but now we can see what’s been happening behind the scenes.

• Haha 1
23 minutes ago, WYO1016 said:

Oklahoma would have been the 4 seed last year

28 minutes ago, WYO1016 said:

A&M wouldn't have gotten a bye.  At least one of the articles indicated that the byes would go to the four highest-ranked conference champions and that ND/Independents are not eligible.  So I think that would have been Cincinnati.

Edit:  Looks like the final CFP rankings had Oklahoma as #6, ahead of #8 Cincinnati, so @sebasour above is right - Oklahoma would have gotten the bye.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/rankings/_/week/1/year/2020/seasontype/3

So if this tweet is accurate I'm going to guess the committee nixes the 6 conf champs + 6 at-large format and they go with top 12 instead. 

2 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

So if this tweet is accurate I'm going to guess the committee nixes the 6 conf champs + 6 at-large format and they go with top 12 instead. 

Doubt it.

• Like 1

This a huge win.  It's Boise over Oklahoma x10.  

A MWC team will be in the CFP soon.  And then again.  And again.  It may not be every year, but it will be often enough that it fundamentally changes what it means to be in any "G5" conference.  

Forget the "P5" or the "P6,"  it's the "CFP6" now, and those 6 will be fluid.  

• Like 1