UNLV2001

12 Team CFB playoff ?

This is a quick interview with BYU AD Tom Holmoe at their media day...

Just by reading between the lines, Holmoe seems very open (almost giddy) at the possibilithy of re-joining a conference...

https://mwwire.com/2021/06/17/could-college-football-playoff-expansion-bring-byu-back-to-mountain-west/

34 minutes ago, Aztecs Rising said:

This is a quick interview with BYU AD Tom Holmoe at their media day...

Just by reading between the lines, Holmoe seems very open (almost giddy) at the possibilithy of re-joining a conference...

https://mwwire.com/2021/06/17/could-college-football-playoff-expansion-bring-byu-back-to-mountain-west/

You think he seems almost giddy at the possibility of re-joining a conference?  I didn't get that feel at all.  He's much more stoic than giddy.

When asked if the proposed changes to the playoff will cause BYU to "re-look" at football independence, this is what he said:

One of the things that we do every year is examine where we are, where we've been, and where we're going.  So right now, in light of that news, it would be our responsibility to make sure that we see what the environment looks like out there, what the atmosphere is like, see what other people are talking about.  There's a lot of stuff that's behind the scenes that doesn't get out - you try to jump into that as much as you can.  But if a decision is made, then we will have gone all the way up through our president and all the way up to Salt Lake.

I don't see anything in the content of his answer that would lean to almost giddy at the possibility of re-joining a conference, either.  He pretty much just says they're going to examine the landscape, as they do every year.  If they make a change, it will only be after they've gone through the the school president and the Board of Trustees (mostly Church leadership in Salt Lake).

• Like 1

It's his poker-face... but I have a good read on him! See you guys in '22!

On 6/17/2021 at 3:14 AM, e-zone99 said:

If BYU joined the AAC BYU would lose a lot:

$10's of millions in Buy out fees (BYU has close 40 P5 future games scheduled, plus a lot of G5 games)

AAC TV contract pays a lot less than what BYU's contract pays

BYU would lose it's 3rd tier TV rights under the AAC TV contract (in 2007 BYU spent $100 million on their broadcast center)

Lose a lot of their control of their schedule, would have 8 conferences games, only leaving 4 OOC games.  They have rival games scheduled into the future Utah St (2026), Utah (2028), and Boise St (2034)

Game attendance- Pac12 (and other P5) teams vs AAC teams, which games would be better attended and cost more for the tickets?

Higher travel expenses with games against East Coast teams

The honor of paying the AAC entrance fee

These are just things I can think of now and I'm sure there are a number of other...

Now what would BYU gain by joining the AAC?  The only thing I can think of is the extra chance of gaining a playoff bid by being a top 6 conference champion.  Sorry but IMHO the losses cost much more than the 1 gain, 

You’re going to be disappointed it seems.

1 hour ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

You’re going to be disappointed it seems.

So what are all the good reasons why BYU should join the AAC? 

I trust my connections to BYU a lot more more than you and there is a reason why BYU only has outs in future schedule contracts if they are invited to a P5 conference and not for joining a G5 conference.

LOL, I agree with the Pac-12 Commish. The Pac-12 SHOULD go to the playoffs every year.... 

However, they SHOULD still earn their way in. They have 30 million dollars (or more) reasons why they SHOULD not be out ranked by TWO G5 conference champs.  :lol:

• Like 1
14 hours ago, e-zone99 said:

So what are all the good reasons why BYU should join the AAC? 

I trust my connections to BYU a lot more more than you and there is a reason why BYU only has outs in future schedule contracts if they are invited to a P5 conference and not for joining a G5 conference.

The reasons have already been stated, and while I’m not trying to get between you and your connection’s discussions the math doesn’t seem to be there the way you listed above.  The negotiations are already underway, it’s just a matter of timing and there’s still a couple years until things have to happen so the urgency isn’t there yet.  It’s not about any one conference and it’s not just about byu, everyone is talking.  This is the last chance for byu to improve their position for a long time and I can assure you they are being proactive.   

• Haha 1
8 hours ago, 415hawaiiboy said:

Pac-12 seeks automatic bid for all Power Five conference champions in proposed 12-team College Football Playoff

https://www.deseret.com/sports/2021/6/18/22540638/pac-12-seeks-automatic-bid-for-power-five-conference-champions-in-12-team-college-football-playoff?_gl=1*dtkx4q*

Can you imagine the conversation taking place amongst the commissioners when they said that? The burden is on them to field better programs and they’ve been told this by the people that matter.  The fact they even posted that statement shows they’re on an island. 

23 minutes ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

Can you imagine the conversation taking place amongst the commissioners when they said that? The burden is on them to field better programs and they’ve been told this by the people that matter.  The fact they even posted that statement shows they’re on an island. 

The MWC/G5 teams are hungry to eat.  Like some cannibalistic surviver on the deserted island.  The guys in the back of the pack are a bit nervous. 

Hungry Ready To Eat GIF

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

The reasons have already been stated, and while I’m not trying to get between you and your connection’s discussions the math doesn’t seem to be there the way you listed above.  The negotiations are already underway, it’s just a matter of timing and there’s still a couple years until things have to happen so the urgency isn’t there yet.  It’s not about any one conference and it’s not just about byu, everyone is talking.  This is the last chance for byu to improve their position for a long time and I can assure you they are being proactive.   

What negotiations are under way?  I'll tell you this is you can count on, BYU will wait until 2025 and the Big12's new media rights negotiations.

• Like 1

Sorry @Did I hear a WOOSH? but BYU isn't going to the AAC, at least not til all of the P5 media deals are finalized. And even then they are not going without more western teams.

They play a P5 football schedule almost every year.

They still get to play their three rivals games against the Utes, Aggies, and Broncos.

The WCC is a good basketball league and every bit as good as the AAC and MWC.

BYU makes $.

There is zero reason to join a league. And BYU still has a realistic path to get on the playoff ever year. Playing mid-tier P5 schedule puts them right on the conversation even with a few losses.

you need to quit pretending the AAC is on some other level than the MWC. It's not. Slightly better? Sure, but you act like there is a huge gap.

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, e-zone99 said:

What negotiations are under way?  I'll tell you this is you can count on, BYU will wait until 2025 and the Big12's new media rights negotiations.

That’s what was said in the sentences immediately following the bolded statement you quoted.  As far as byu/big 12 goes, it would be best to look forward and not backwards on that front.  

5 hours ago, RebelRobert said:

power_11.conference.png.0869259f643eda2e73a4b8c84b60e8ff.png

Every time I see this I think of how much better this P-11 of yours would be if UNLV and New Mexico was replaced with Fresno State and Nevada.

Anyway, carry on....

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Ibanez said:

Every time I see this I think of how much better this P-11 of yours would be if UNLV and New Mexico was replaces with Fresno State and Nevada.

Anyway, carry on....

Shows your intelligence level.  Not surprising.

32 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

Shows your intelligence level.  Not surprising.

UNLV has been a basement dweller in this conference. Go to the WAC or something.

2 hours ago, Ibanez said:

UNLV has been a basement dweller in this conference. Go to the WAC or something.

When we leave, you will be left behind in the WAC.  Enjoy us while you have us, won’t be for long.  Cream rises to the top and every donkey has its day.  Good luck going forward you will need it.

I’m conflicted on this one; on one hand, if the PAC didnt say something about the p5 and auto births given their circumstances I’d say someone should be fired.  Then again the way the Sunbelt(!) shaded them then Aresco came in and spilled the beans and how the other p5 conferences left the PAC out to dry makes them look so weak and left behind.  If I were the big 12 I’d swoop in and try to take a couple of their members.  

14 hours ago, RebelRobert said:

When we leave, you will be left behind in the WAC.  Enjoy us while you have us, won’t be for long.  Cream rises to the top and every donkey has its day.  Good luck going forward you will need it.

Where are you going? Big West?