Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

12 Team CFB playoff ?

24 minutes ago, alum93 said:

There is no one out west to choose from that has a football stadium that nice and a city that size.  I suppose the MWC could look at a UTSA or North Texas if needed, but if El Paso is out of the footprint, then San Antonio and Dallas might as well be on the east coast.

Agreed.  So why are we even talking expansion?  UTEP adds nothing that we don't already have.  Neither do UTSA or North Texas, and you're right about their geography.  If it's a discussion about what we need to do to add BYU, then it's a waste of time.  Don't want 'em, they don't want us, and it ain't happening.  Why are we wanting to dilute our already pathetic paycheck?

On 6/14/2021 at 5:35 PM, Hoser said:

You hit the nail on the head with this take.  12 teams just shows how dumb the people making the playoffs are.  The 4 teams that get a bye are at a distinct advantage in keeping players healthy and fresh.  Playoff committee it appears will take another 10 years before they finally realize that 16 is better than 12.

It's still an improvement.

My only concern is if we lose some of those Nobody Cares Bowl games and one or more of our teams have nowhere to play.

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

8 hours ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

That is the opposite of reality.  There is almost no chance of byu making the playoff under the new system.  They are going to be moving to a conference.  

Don't bet on it.  There is a much greater chance of BYU making the playoff under the new proposal than under the current 4-team model.  In years that they have a team with a good chance of winning a game in the playoff, they will likely be included.  In years they don't have a good chance at a win, they will likely be excluded.  They would have a better chance at the playoff from a conference, but participation in the playoff is not the only consideration for BYU's admin.  In fact, it might not even be very high on their list of things they consider.

8 hours ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

I know you’re just speculating but this doesn’t make sense.  There are only six total spots available for you, as opposed to four before.  So even if we lived in a magical fairy land your odds went from zero to rounded down to zero.  Unfortunately reality just paints the picture bleaker than before.  One spot will be reserved for in case the MW outplays the PAC, that’ll happen occasionally.  The sec was getting two in before, they wouldn’t agree unless it increased their playoff pool, so let’s count three sec teams.  Count two big 10 teams.  Now, independents.  ND is in.  They aren’t going to give 1/3 of the available playoff spots to independents.  The only feasible way byu will get in as an independent is if ND is unequivocally bad, there are no Cinderella teams in the other four leagues, the PAC doesn’t send two teams to the playoffs, and BYU goes undefeated.  Oh, Texas will have to keep sucking too.  If they ever catch on then even the above won’t be enough and ND will be in your situation and you’ll be on UConn’s but with worse basketball.

College football is cyclical.  

On 6/14/2021 at 9:22 PM, Aztecs Rising said:

I would love for The MW to pry Houston from the AAC as the #14. Having Texas in the MW footprint would be awesome.  

If no Houston, then next choice would be UTEP, then UTSA..

BYU as the 13th.. and then either of the 3 Texas schools as #14.

I know you mean well, but c'mon, man.

Texas State, not UTSA, has the best facilties among the Texas have-nots and UTEP, Tejas Norte and Arroz Con Pollo are worthless athletically.

That said, although everybody forgets about them, NAU is the best geographical fit for this conference and Flagstaff is very close to Sedona and just an hour and a half from the beautiful Grand Canyon. If there's any close to one of those Texas schools to make them a good roadie it's news to me.

1 hour ago, 818SUDSFan said:

I know you mean well, but c'mon, man.

Texas State, not UTSA, has the best facilties among the Texas have-nots and UTEP, Tejas Norte and Arroz Con Pollo are worthless athletically.

That said, although everybody forgets about them, NAU is the best geographical fit for this conference and Flagstaff is very close to Sedona and just an hour and a half from the beautiful Grand Canyon. If there's any close to one of those Texas schools to make them a good roadie it's news to me.

I hadn't considered the Lumberjacks.  Still a "no" from me, but I am liking that proposal more than the aforementioned (other than MT).

1 hour ago, Koji Vu said:

El Paso airport has Southwest Airlines flights  - meaning they are more in the MWC footprint than Wyoming, CSU, AFA, and USU. 

C'mon man.  You know better than that.

7 hours ago, Pelado said:

Don't bet on it.  There is a much greater chance of BYU making the playoff under the new proposal than under the current 4-team model.  In years that they have a team with a good chance of winning a game in the playoff, they will likely be included.  In years they don't have a good chance at a win, they will likely be excluded.  They would have a better chance at the playoff from a conference, but participation in the playoff is not the only consideration for BYU's admin.  In fact, it might not even be very high on their list of things they consider.

College football is cyclical.  

If BYU joined the AAC BYU would lose a lot:

$10's of millions in Buy out fees (BYU has close 40 P5 future games scheduled, plus a lot of G5 games)

AAC TV contract pays a lot less than what BYU's contract pays

BYU would lose it's 3rd tier TV rights under the AAC TV contract (in 2007 BYU spent $100 million on their broadcast center)

Lose a lot of their control of their schedule, would have 8 conferences games, only leaving 4 OOC games.  They have rival games scheduled into the future Utah St (2026), Utah (2028), and Boise St (2034)

Game attendance- Pac12 (and other P5) teams vs AAC teams, which games would be better attended and cost more for the tickets?

Higher travel expenses with games against East Coast teams

The honor of paying the AAC entrance fee

These are just things I can think of now and I'm sure there are a number of other...

Now what would BYU gain by joining the AAC?  The only thing I can think of is the extra chance of gaining a playoff bid by being a top 6 conference champion.  Sorry but IMHO the losses cost much more than the 1 gain, 

After further thought, it just struck me that the conference can actually take on a 13th football school without necessarily being obligated to bring on a 14th school. Simply scrap the divisions...

With the upcoming playoff format, it would be in each conferences best interest to place the top two ranked teams into the conference title game rather than having a division winner in the title game with say 3 or 4 losses. 

So the conference can add a 13th football school (BYU more likely or Houston a long shot but possible) then scrap divisions and go with a 9 or even 10 game conference schedule.

This would even work great for hoops because it would give the conference a nice round number at 12. 

This could work out nicely imo....

San_Diego_State_Logotype.png 

"Finally we decided it's crazy that we can win games by throwing the ball without the best personnel. So we threw the hell out  of the ball and won some games. When we started doing that, we were like 55–5–1."

Don Coryell, head coach 1961-1972

104 wins, 19 losses, 2 ties including 3 undefeated seasons: 1966, 1968, 1969     College Football Hall of Fame Inductee, 1999

1 hour ago, Ibanez said:

And why in the Hell would Houston leave the AAC? The only way I see is taking an AAC team is of we did get BYU. Then, and only then would there be a small chance that Houston or SMU would try to replicate TVI's MWC success.

I'd be perfectly fine with 13 teams with no divisions..BYU is the obvious choice for #13.

"Finally we decided it's crazy that we can win games by throwing the ball without the best personnel. So we threw the hell out  of the ball and won some games. When we started doing that, we were like 55–5–1."

104 wins, 19 losses, 2 ties including 3 undefeated seasons: 1966, 1968, 1969     College Football Hall of Fame Inductee, 1999

On 6/16/2021 at 2:29 PM, Headbutt said:

Yeah, I know where they are.  Out on the fringe of the MWC footprint.

UTEP's location is not why I'm opposed to adding them, I'm just pointing out that they aren't actually in the MWC footprint by any measure.

You’re smoking crack. 

On 6/16/2021 at 1:46 PM, WYO1016 said:

Let's take a look at UTEP football since the inception of the Mountain West

image.png.f2fac76694bf4466c322e3d49a3ba5ec.png

Average of 4 wins per season.

Here's how they stack up against the rest of the MW in rounded average wins per season over the past 10 normal years (2010-2019):

1. Boise State - 11
  2. San Diego State - 9
  3. Air Force - 7
  4. Utah State - 7
  5. Fresno State - 7
  6. Nevada - 7
  7. Colorado State - 6
  8. Wyoming - 6
  9. Hawaii - 5
  10. San Jose State - 5
  11. New Mexico - 4
  12. UNLV - 4
  13. UTEP - 3

We don't need another bottom feeder.

Who’s to say that UTEP wouldn’t have been better in both football and basketball had we brought them along from the beginning? C-USA has been a garbage conference from day one. How attractive is a C-USA Head Coaching job vs a MWC job? Same for recruiting. I believe had we brought UTEP on from the start, they would be an asset. We should’ve brought them and Fresno St in at the beginning.

This is a quick interview with BYU AD Tom Holmoe at their media day...

Just by reading between the lines, Holmoe seems very open (almost giddy) at the possibilithy of re-joining a conference...

https://mwwire.com/2021/06/17/could-college-football-playoff-expansion-bring-byu-back-to-mountain-west/

34 minutes ago, Aztecs Rising said:

This is a quick interview with BYU AD Tom Holmoe at their media day...

Just by reading between the lines, Holmoe seems very open (almost giddy) at the possibilithy of re-joining a conference...

https://mwwire.com/2021/06/17/could-college-football-playoff-expansion-bring-byu-back-to-mountain-west/

You think he seems almost giddy at the possibility of re-joining a conference?  I didn't get that feel at all.  He's much more stoic than giddy.

When asked if the proposed changes to the playoff will cause BYU to "re-look" at football independence, this is what he said:

One of the things that we do every year is examine where we are, where we've been, and where we're going.  So right now, in light of that news, it would be our responsibility to make sure that we see what the environment looks like out there, what the atmosphere is like, see what other people are talking about.  There's a lot of stuff that's behind the scenes that doesn't get out - you try to jump into that as much as you can.  But if a decision is made, then we will have gone all the way up through our president and all the way up to Salt Lake.

I don't see anything in the content of his answer that would lean to almost giddy at the possibility of re-joining a conference, either.  He pretty much just says they're going to examine the landscape, as they do every year.  If they make a change, it will only be after they've gone through the the school president and the Board of Trustees (mostly Church leadership in Salt Lake).

It's his poker-face... but I have a good read on him! See you guys in '22!

On 6/17/2021 at 3:14 AM, e-zone99 said:

If BYU joined the AAC BYU would lose a lot:

$10's of millions in Buy out fees (BYU has close 40 P5 future games scheduled, plus a lot of G5 games)

AAC TV contract pays a lot less than what BYU's contract pays

BYU would lose it's 3rd tier TV rights under the AAC TV contract (in 2007 BYU spent $100 million on their broadcast center)

Lose a lot of their control of their schedule, would have 8 conferences games, only leaving 4 OOC games.  They have rival games scheduled into the future Utah St (2026), Utah (2028), and Boise St (2034)

Game attendance- Pac12 (and other P5) teams vs AAC teams, which games would be better attended and cost more for the tickets?

Higher travel expenses with games against East Coast teams

The honor of paying the AAC entrance fee

These are just things I can think of now and I'm sure there are a number of other...

Now what would BYU gain by joining the AAC?  The only thing I can think of is the extra chance of gaining a playoff bid by being a top 6 conference champion.  Sorry but IMHO the losses cost much more than the 1 gain, 

You’re going to be disappointed it seems.

1 hour ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

You’re going to be disappointed it seems.

So what are all the good reasons why BYU should join the AAC? 

I trust my connections to BYU a lot more more than you and there is a reason why BYU only has outs in future schedule contracts if they are invited to a P5 conference and not for joining a G5 conference.