Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

12 Team CFB playoff ?

On 6/8/2021 at 2:12 PM, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

It’s a step in the right direction but 16 seems smarter.  The four ‘best’ teams getting extra time off doesn’t seem competitively just.  12 is bad for all the g5 conferences but especially the other 4.  The aac/rogue g5 gets a team in but gets the cards stacked against them while the p5 adds 7 more teams with easier schedule? I don’t think so.  Just keep it the way it is and let the PAC/big 12 squirm in getting left out year after year.  If they can’t do it right and make it a true tournament then the g5 needs to stick together and vote no.  The proposed 12 team will kill realignment which is the only hope of moving up and just give the aac scraps.  It will make things worse. 

You hit the nail on the head with this take.  12 teams just shows how dumb the people making the playoffs are.  The 4 teams that get a bye are at a distinct advantage in keeping players healthy and fresh.  Playoff committee it appears will take another 10 years before they finally realize that 16 is better than 12.

**  “It’s a basic truth of the human condition that everybody lies. The only variable is about what.”

“There’s no ‘I’ in team. There’s a ‘me’ though, if you jumble it up.”

hoserjpg-2009.jpg.1a3e5724d48c16a835b94dde26c99132.jpg

2 hours ago, Aztecs Rising said:

With the 6 conference champs/6 at-large playoff set-up, BYU would be foolish to stay independent long-term... I'd expect an announcement that BYU and a #14 will be in The MW in time for the 2022-23 academic year...book it!

Who do you speculate would be that #14? I keep hearing guys say UTEP and North Texas but I don’t know why. They bring no on the field value at all and definitely wouldn’t push the conference up in the wins category. Some may say “tv market”. Who in Texas is watching these teams? 

UTEP, North Texas, NMST, BYU, Rice, the best near by FCS? What say you?

On 6/11/2021 at 1:54 PM, HawaiiMongoose said:

You’re right about that.  There are currently direct flights from Honolulu to 25 U.S. mainland cities but Boise isn’t one of them.  The shortest duration one-way flights from Honolulu to Boise take 8-10 hours depending on the price and stopover location.

Who in the MWC does not have a direct flight from Honolulu? 

17 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

Who in the MWC does not have a direct flight from Honolulu? 

Quite a few, but it’s not the same for football since there are only four conference away games and chartering is an option.

These MWC cities don’t have direct flights from Honolulu: Fresno, Reno, Boise, Laramie, Colorado Springs, Albuquerque.

These require a bus trip in addition to a direct flight: Logan, Fort Collins.

There are direct flights to San Jose, San Diego and Las Vegas.

1 hour ago, ToTheMountains said:

Who do you speculate would be that #14? I keep hearing guys say UTEP and North Texas but I don’t know why. They bring no on the field value at all and definitely wouldn’t push the conference up in the wins category. Some may say “tv market”. Who in Texas is watching these teams? 

I would love for The MW to pry Houston from the AAC as the #14. Having Texas in the MW footprint would be awesome.  

If no Houston, then next choice would be UTEP, then UTSA..

BYU as the 13th.. and then either of the 3 Texas schools as #14.

San_Diego_State_Logotype.png 

"Finally we decided it's crazy that we can win games by throwing the ball without the best personnel. So we threw the hell out  of the ball and won some games. When we started doing that, we were like 55–5–1."

Don Coryell, head coach 1961-1972

104 wins, 19 losses, 2 ties including 3 undefeated seasons: 1966, 1968, 1969     College Football Hall of Fame Inductee, 1999

5 hours ago, Aztecs Rising said:

With the 6 conference champs/6 at-large playoff set-up, BYU would be foolish to stay independent long-term... I'd expect an announcement that BYU and a #14 will be in The MW in time for the 2022-23 academic year...book it!

Don't hold your breath, this gives BYU more access to the Playoffs than ever before as an Independent.  They would have 10's of millions in buy outs (my guess would be around $40 plus million) if they moved to MWC or AAC.

Houston would be great but I don’t see them leaving the AAC for I believe they are in a better situation there currently. UTSA and UTEP don’t move the needle for me personally. They seem like very mediocre FCS schools at best. Sure they are in Texas but I don’t believe they have much of a following let alone a brand. IDAHO? Haha, I kid I kid. They are having a hard enough time in FCS.

14 hours ago, Aztecs Rising said:

BYU chose to remain independent and to play more P5 schools when they had virtually no chance at a playoff spot.  Now that there will actually be more at large bids to the playoffs, they will want to go back to the MWC?  I think it is just the opposite.  They have even less reason return to the MWC.  They still get to cherry pick the better G5 schools to go along with P5 games, and if they do have a magical season they will get an invite to a 12 team playoff.  

I can understand the argument that joining a conference guarantees them an invite if they win with an expanded playoff.  I just don't think it outweighs the benefits of independence (with the people that make the decisions).  Just speculating...

On 6/14/2021 at 10:00 PM, ToTheMountains said:

Bison fans:

49254c42aba2fb0b7d8326ff179ca280.jpg

On 6/14/2021 at 11:22 PM, Aztecs Rising said:

I would love for The MW to pry Houston from the AAC as the #14. Having Texas in the MW footprint would be awesome.  

If no Houston, then next choice would be UTEP, then UTSA..

BYU as the 13th.. and then either of the 3 Texas schools as #14.

Look at current FBS teams in the Central Time Zone. 

Top 20 Markets in the CT zone:

• #3 Chicago 
  • #4 Dallas 
  • #5 Houston 
  • #16 Minneapolis 
  • #20 St. Louis 

US-Timezones-post-2007.png

B6393C59-E960-479A-94EE-B9FACD60BB2A.jpeg

33 minutes ago, TheBigAwesome said:

Look at current FBS teams in the Central Time Zone. 

Top 20 Markets in the CT zone:

• #3 Chicago 
  • #4 Dallas 
  • #5 Houston 
  • #16 Minneapolis 
  • #20 St. Louis 

US-Timezones-post-2007.png

B6393C59-E960-479A-94EE-B9FACD60BB2A.jpeg

There are two pretty clear geographical fits on that map that aren't currently in an FBS conference: BYU and New Mexico State. Not saying we should invite/accept either, but that's the low hanging fruit.

5809184128_5cf90ed7dc_b.jpg

On 6/15/2021 at 1:23 AM, e-zone99 said:

Don't hold your breath, this gives BYU more access to the Playoffs than ever before as an Independent.  They would have 10's of millions in buy outs (my guess would be around $40 plus million) if they moved to MWC or AAC.

That is the opposite of reality.  There is almost no chance of byu making the playoff under the new system.  They are going to be moving to a conference.  

On 6/15/2021 at 9:46 AM, Ibanez said:

UTSA would be a decent add with BYU but they have the worst basketball arena in the country.

I don't think the MWC should add anyone right now. Same with the AAC. Wait for an inevitable PAC-12 / BIG 12 implosion then work on something from there.

Unless it gets you more money, then of course expand.

On 6/15/2021 at 10:38 AM, alum93 said:

BYU chose to remain independent and to play more P5 schools when they had virtually no chance at a playoff spot.  Now that there will actually be more at large bids to the playoffs, they will want to go back to the MWC?  I think it is just the opposite.  They have even less reason return to the MWC.  They still get to cherry pick the better G5 schools to go along with P5 games, and if they do have a magical season they will get an invite to a 12 team playoff.  

I can understand the argument that joining a conference guarantees them an invite if they win with an expanded playoff.  I just don't think it outweighs the benefits of independence (with the people that make the decisions).  Just speculating...

I know you’re just speculating but this doesn’t make sense.  There are only six total spots available for you, as opposed to four before.  So even if we lived in a magical fairy land your odds went from zero to rounded down to zero.  Unfortunately reality just paints the picture bleaker than before.  One spot will be reserved for in case the MW outplays the PAC, that’ll happen occasionally.  The sec was getting two in before, they wouldn’t agree unless it increased their playoff pool, so let’s count three sec teams.  Count two big 10 teams.  Now, independents.  ND is in.  They aren’t going to give 1/3 of the available playoff spots to independents.  The only feasible way byu will get in as an independent is if ND is unequivocally bad, there are no Cinderella teams in the other four leagues, the PAC doesn’t send two teams to the playoffs, and BYU goes undefeated.  Oh, Texas will have to keep sucking too.  If they ever catch on then even the above won’t be enough and ND will be in your situation and you’ll be on UConn’s but with worse basketball.

12 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

There is no one that will get the MWC or AAC more money accept BYU. The only other teams who would be valuable are P5 teams. So if something happened to the Big 12 some of the AAC would benefit. If something happened to the PAC-12 then some MWC schools would benefit.

But that happening is slim to none so...

There are several ways that realignment could happen that could generate more money, there’s money out there.  The specifics aren’t important, just the obvious statement that if you can expand and create more revenue you do it, this is a very crucial time in college sports.  These next two-three years represents the last train pulling away from the station.  This time everyone knows it.

2 hours ago, WYO1016 said:

There are two pretty clear geographical fits on that map that aren't currently in an FBS conference: BYU and New Mexico State. Not saying we should invite/accept either, but that's the low hanging fruit.

If what’s been posted here multiple times is true, that the MWC wants a presence in the CT zone in order to get coveted early time slots, then (for that reason and many others) that 14th spot wouldn’t go to New Mexico State. 

Would the 14-team MWC look like this?

West Division

1. Boise St. 
  2. Fresno St. 
  3. SDSU
  4. SJSU
  5. Nevada
  6. UNLV
  7. Hawaii

Mountain Division

1. Wyoming
  2. Colorado St. 
  3. Air Force
  4. New Mexico 
  5. Utah St. 
  6. BYU
  7. (CT zone team)

“Available/Potential” CT zone teams

1. Houston (AAC)
  2. SMU (AAC)
  3. Tulsa (AAC)
  4. Memphis (AAC)
  5. Tulane (AAC)
  6. NIU (MAC)
  7. Rice (CUSA)
  8. North Texas (CUSA)
  9. UTSA (CUSA)
  10. Louisiana Tech (CUSA)
  11. Southern Miss (CUSA)
  12. UAB (CUSA)
  13. Middle Tennessee (CUSA)
  14. Western Kentucky (CUSA)
  15. Texas St. (Sun Belt)
  16.  Arkansas St. (Sun Belt)
  17. ULM (Sun Belt)
  18. ULL (Sun Belt)
  19. Troy (Sun Belt)
  20. South Alabama (Sun Belt)

https://www.si.com/college/2021/06/16/college-football-playoff-expansion-12-teams-why

If Bowlsby’s notes could talk, they’d tell you that the working group of three commissioners—Bowlsby, Greg Sankey (SEC) and Craig Thompson (Mountain West)—and one athletic director, Jack Swarbrick (Notre Dame), examined nearly 100 playoff models, one of which even included a 24-team bracket.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

2 hours ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

I know you’re just speculating but this doesn’t make sense.  There are only six total spots available for you, as opposed to four before.  So even if we lived in a magical fairy land your odds went from zero to rounded down to zero.  Unfortunately reality just paints the picture bleaker than before.  One spot will be reserved for in case the MW outplays the PAC, that’ll happen occasionally.  The sec was getting two in before, they wouldn’t agree unless it increased their playoff pool, so let’s count three sec teams.  Count two big 10 teams.  Now, independents.  ND is in.  They aren’t going to give 1/3 of the available playoff spots to independents.  The only feasible way byu will get in as an independent is if ND is unequivocally bad, there are no Cinderella teams in the other four leagues, the PAC doesn’t send two teams to the playoffs, and BYU goes undefeated.  Oh, Texas will have to keep sucking too.  If they ever catch on then even the above won’t be enough and ND will be in your situation and you’ll be on UConn’s but with worse basketball.

None of this makes sense, and i am not even a BYU fan.  But opinions vary.  BYU is not going to go from being indy and cherry picking G5 schools mixed with P5 schools every year to playing a MWC schedule for a chance at a playoff.  If they do join, i'll be happy to admit i was wrong.  I'm guessing they won't return to the MWC because of a 12 team playoff. though.  Now there may be other factors that could play in to them changing course, like conference musical chairs again.  If the B12 were to lose multiple schools, as one example.  And that isn't happening anytime soon.

1 hour ago, TheBigAwesome said:

If what’s been posted here multiple times is true, that the MWC wants a presence in the CT zone in order to get coveted early time slots, then (for that reason and many others) that 14th spot wouldn’t go to New Mexico State. 

Would the 14-team MWC look like this?

West Division

1. Boise St. 
  2. Fresno St. 
  3. SDSU
  4. SJSU
  5. Nevada
  6. UNLV
  7. Hawaii

Mountain Division

1. Wyoming
  2. Colorado St. 
  3. Air Force
  4. New Mexico 
  5. Utah St. 
  6. BYU
  7. (CT zone team)

“Available/Potential” CT zone teams

1. Houston (AAC)
  2. SMU (AAC)
  3. Tulsa (AAC)
  4. Memphis (AAC)
  5. Tulane (AAC)
  6. NIU (MAC)
  7. Rice (CUSA)
  8. North Texas (CUSA)
  9. UTSA (CUSA)
  10. Louisiana Tech (CUSA)
  11. Southern Miss (CUSA)
  12. UAB (CUSA)
  13. Middle Tennessee (CUSA)
  14. Western Kentucky (CUSA)
  15. Texas St. (Sun Belt)
  16.  Arkansas St. (Sun Belt)
  17. ULM (Sun Belt)
  18. ULL (Sun Belt)
  19. Troy (Sun Belt)
  20. South Alabama (Sun Belt)

I'm incredibly skeptical that the conference would ever be back in the Central time zone. They've tried it twice already; once in the final days of the mega-WAC and once with TCU. Mega-WAC was a trainwreck, and TCU bolted not only for the money, but also because they were located firmly within the Big 12 footprint.

We're already in three time zones for football. Hawaii isn't in the conference for all other sports because it's too damned expensive to work the non-revenue sports into a conference so far away from home. No way in hell any of the schools in this conference will be ok sending their swimming and diving teams to the eastern half of Texas or further. Especially the California schools.

5809184128_5cf90ed7dc_b.jpg