Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

12 Team CFB playoff ?

Perfectly fine with 12 but would love 16 more.  I’d also like to see a CFB version of the NIT.  Do a 16 team tournament with the 4 remaining conference champions and the 12 highest ranked at-large teams that didn’t make the playoff

5 hours ago, jdgaucho said:

Ditching Gonzaga, Saint Mary's and Pepperdine and getting excited about ECU and Tulane is a tall task.

That’s fair, but basketball is still good in the aac and you’ll get more money.  Comparing the top wcc teams to the bottom aac teams isn’t helpful.  Trips to NOLA offset things a bit.  ECU…ehh, but it has a true p5 atmosphere in football at least.  

34 minutes ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

The first NY6 was during the 13/14 season…the year of Blake Bortles.

Wrong.

Again.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

8 hours ago, Jack Bauer said:

BYU isn't getting an at large spot over ND, SEC #2-4, B1G #2-3, etc with a schedule like last year

Schedules need to be at least as hard as they are now, which will generally result in 3-5 losses most years.

The thing is currently BYU does not much of any chance (maybe 0.01%,), but now there is a much larger chance and the 6 at-large spot don't require any kind of conference tie in.  If BYU goes 12-0, I could see them being one of the 12 playoff team (an 11-1 record would have a fairly good chance if BYU's only loss was to a P5 team and they had 4 or 5 P5 wins).   Granted 12-0 and 11-1 are very tall orders, but at least BYU would have a much better chance than they currently have now with only 4 teams.

3 hours ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

The first NY6 was during the 13/14 season…the year of Blake Bortles.

They still had the old Big East AQ Auto bid. NY6/CFB started a year later 

Related image

5 hours ago, Maccoog said:

In my view this is good for the P5, AAC, MWC, Notre Dame, and BYU. (More access to the Playoff System). It is bad for CUSA, Sunbelt, and MAC. (The AAC and MWC now have an increased competitive advantage in recruiting). It will be rare if either the AAC or MWC doesn't get one of the playoff spots.

An undefeated MAC and SBC school could easily swoop in and take that auto bid or get in as an at large imo 

Related image

8 hours ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

American has all the leverage now.  The only leverage byu has is if they want to stay independent, but even they want in on the money train.  They aren’t getting in the playoff without being in a conference and the aac is the best option.  

You contradicted yourself with your second statement, you know its true. Your fanbase knows it’s true- the entire front page of your forum is various threads about joining the aac.  And most importantly aresco knows it’s true.  Luckily the aac has the best access to the playoff outside the sec now, they don’t have to expand unless it gets them more money.

The AAC has no leverage over BYU any anyway,

3 hours ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

It’s around 4.5mil/year.

If you times that number by 3 then you will be getting close.   Jay Drew of the Deseret News (beat write for BYU) was the first to guess $4.5 million right after BYU signed the first deal with ESPN, but in around 2014 he walked that number back and said it was around $10 million per year (at the same time 2 other BYU beat writers also used the same type of numbers).  From the get go BYU's AD said that the TV contract was back loaded and would increase each  year.  So maybe even you can do the math, if BYU made around $10 million from their contract in 2013 and BYU's AD said the contract would increase each year because the contract was back load...  It would be more than $4.5 million a year, also FWIW BYU's new contract had a nice increase compared to their first contract.

4 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

BYU doesn't have a set contract. They get paid on a game to game basis depending on who they play, The TV numbers, and what channel they're on. Save to say they make around a million give or take per P5 school on ESPN 1 & 2. I'm sure they get paid decent for rivalry games with Boise State and Utah State as well.

I have seen the story you did where BYU doesn't make as much as they would lead you to believe. That's from 2027. Trurh is there just isn't a way to tell and be accurate. But if you say it's $4.5 then show us.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/lawlessrepublic.com/2017/09/21/byu-football-espn-contract-money/amp/

FWIW, that guy does not have a clue BYU has been using those same percentages since the WAC days (it's the same generic percentages they give each year to Cougar Club Members, same numbers use while in the WAC, MWC, and now Independent).  Jay Drew was the one who came up with the game by game numbers and was the first to proclaim BYU would make around $4.5 million a year, only to say a few years later (2014) that BYU was making around $10 million back then (so even he now does not buy his $800k, $1 million, and $1.2 million depending on who BYU was playing, because there is no way to get to $10 million a year with those numbers).  Back when good old Jay came out with those numbers I asked my buddy how close he Jay was; he laughed and said something like "Jay does not have a clue".  Which to be honest is exactly what BYU wants.

3 hours ago, e-zone99 said:

The thing is currently BYU does not much of any chance (maybe 0.01%,), but now there is a much larger chance and the 6 at-large spot don't require any kind of conference tie in.  If BYU goes 12-0, I could see them being one of the 12 playoff team (an 11-1 record would have a fairly good chance if BYU's only loss was to a P5 team and they had 4 or 5 P5 wins).   Granted 12-0 and 11-1 are very tall orders, but at least BYU would have a much better chance than they currently have now with only 4 teams.

BYU has done that once as an independent, and it was during a pandemic, and against one of the weakest schedules in BYU history

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

My (admittedly quick) takeaway from all of this is that a 12 team playoff arrangement is good for the MWC and the G5, in general.  On the flip side, I could also see scheduling for G5's becoming more difficult.  Those teams below the 1st (and perhaps 2nd tier) of the overall college football hierarchy will likely try to schedule up, which ultimately may mean fewer P5 games available for the G5's... 

I like the setup.  It gives the G5 access to the playoff and an opportunity for more than one G5 team.  
This will affect the bowls like the LA Bowl.  Instead of the improved #5 PAC it’ll drop down to the 7/8 PAC team which makes it worthless for the #1 MW team.

Hope the Hawaii Bowl stays.  I think it will because of the pairing with the Maui Classic Basketball Tournament during the same week (thanks ESPN) and the Christmas or Christmas Eve time slot.  Plus a football game in Hawaii in late December is nice. 

Fewer bowl games would suck for G5’s that are bowl eligible and miss out, and most likely it will be G5’s to miss out. 

20 hours ago, 415hawaiiboy said:

Hope the Hawaii Bowl stays.  I think it will because of the pairing with the Maui Classic Basketball Tournament during the same week (thanks ESPN) and the Christmas or Christmas Eve time slot.  Plus a football game in Hawaii in late December is nice. 

Fewer bowl games would suck for G5’s that are bowl eligible and miss out, and most likely it will be G5’s to miss out. 

You’re thinking of the Diamond Head Classic.  The Maui Invitational is on Thanksgiving weekend.

I agree with you though, the Hawaii Bowl and Diamond Head Classic pairing gives ESPN four consecutive days of event coverage from Hawaii leading up to and including Christmas Day.  Hopefully this holiday tradition will continue.

With the 6 conference champs/6 at-large playoff set-up, BYU would be foolish to stay independent long-term... I'd expect an announcement that BYU and a #14 will be in The MW in time for the 2022-23 academic year...book it!

San_Diego_State_Logotype.png 

"Finally we decided it's crazy that we can win games by throwing the ball without the best personnel. So we threw the hell out  of the ball and won some games. When we started doing that, we were like 55–5–1."

Don Coryell, head coach 1961-1972

104 wins, 19 losses, 2 ties including 3 undefeated seasons: 1966, 1968, 1969     College Football Hall of Fame Inductee, 1999

On 6/11/2021 at 5:44 PM, Ibanez said:

You clearly haven't seen what kind of electricity a home game in San Jose looks like in football or basketball!

We’re back bb, and....

Fight On For Dear Old San Jose State;

Fight On For Victory!

We Are With You In Every Way.

No Matter What The Price May Be!

Onward For Sparta Noble And True,

Fight Hard In Everything You Do!

And So We'll Fight! (Rah!) Win! (Rah!)

March Onward Down the Field

And We Will Win The Day!

S...J...S...U,  S-J-S-U,  San Jose State!