Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

12 Team CFB playoff ?

On 6/8/2021 at 2:12 PM, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

It’s a step in the right direction but 16 seems smarter.  The four ‘best’ teams getting extra time off doesn’t seem competitively just.  12 is bad for all the g5 conferences but especially the other 4.  The aac/rogue g5 gets a team in but gets the cards stacked against them while the p5 adds 7 more teams with easier schedule? I don’t think so.  Just keep it the way it is and let the PAC/big 12 squirm in getting left out year after year.  If they can’t do it right and make it a true tournament then the g5 needs to stick together and vote no.  The proposed 12 team will kill realignment which is the only hope of moving up and just give the aac scraps.  It will make things worse. 

How dumb would the G5 be to turn down a chance at an actual meaningful postseason opportunity?

The talent will disperse throughout college football over time so that Alabama, Clemson, and Ohio State don't gobble up every single good player. Kids go there now because they see they can play for that. If they see their hometown team can have an opportunity, they're more likely to stay home over the course of time and this will introduce more parity in to the system.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

On 6/8/2021 at 5:39 PM, ViAggie said:

Don't be surprised to eventually see Houston and Cinci get a Big 12 invite some day down the road. 

What's the incentive for the B12 to expand with this news?

On 6/9/2021 at 12:58 AM, NorthWestCowboy said:

I'm not a fan whatsoever of first round byes.  I'd rather see an 8-team format than 12.  I don't think we'll ever see a 16-team FBS playoff.

12 is better than 8

21 hours ago, Ibanez said:

I would say it's likely 2 G5 champs make the playoff every year. That's big news. I wonder if it's better for teams on the G5 to schedule heavy on their OOC or not. What's more impressive:

Boise State losing to PAC-12 champ Oregon close but beating Michigan State, BYU, and a G5 team, and going undefeated on conference.

Louisiana losing to a ranked SEC team, beating a ranked SEC team and going undefeated.

Or UCF going undefeated in conference but not dominating anyone, beating an FCS team, a mod level G6 team, and two P5 teams that don't make bowl games or going 6-6.

To me BSU and Louisiana would be more deserving but the Sunbelt is the weaker conference. But we have seen where SEC teams always get a benefit of the doubt on the rankings.

At least one, which is an improvement over the current system.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

20 hours ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

I don’t know, you assume ND will get an at-large most years and I don’t think the committee will earmark 1/3rd of the at-large bids to ND and BYU, especially since they have to account for the years the top MWC team finishes higher than the PAC.  The writing has been on the wall for a bit but it seems BYU’s hand is forced now and the aac has leverage to not expand if they don’t want to…I wouldn’t be surprised to see aac get an opportunity to renegotiate their contract with an addition, especially since I believe byu is due for a renegotiation with ESPN.

The American doesn't have any leverage over BYU.

BYU is on an 8 year deal with ESPN that just started.

20 hours ago, Del Scorcho said:

ND getting screwed here IMO

Join a league. CFB is about leagues.

19 hours ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

So does the aac, Mike aresco is like a school kid on social media crowing about his p6 moniker.  There’s been rumors about him getting a contract extension and we’ve been wondering WHYYY but now we can see what’s been happening behind the scenes.

Aresco has played the last decade like a genius.

19 hours ago, AztecSU said:

So if this tweet is accurate I'm going to guess the committee nixes the 6 conf champs + 6 at-large format and they go with top 12 instead. 

I don't see anything wrong with this.

18 hours ago, Del Scorcho said:

what will the record of SEC teams be in the CFP?

4, 5 maybe even 6 teams in? That is the one negative I can forsee 

If they earned it. I don't know why so many people have so much angst about the SEC. It's the best league by a landslide

17 hours ago, ViAggie said:

DO NOT let ybu back in, just say no! They will call eventually, don't do it.  They can join the AAC and play far flung eastern state schools. 

No, they won't.

16 hours ago, Ibanez said:

He doesn't shut up about being a P6.The P5 wouldn't let that ever happen. But this isn't quite the same thing but it's probably the best outcome.

What I'm saying is the committee came up with this idea and then shared it with the other AD's and Presidents. I don't know how much input the others had bit this seems like Hair was doing his job and batting for the little guys for a change. I'd be amazed if two G5's get in. And I think BYU is screwed with the way they schedule. It might be their best interest to call the AAC.

After observing the last decade or so, I'm not sure the BYU administration really gives a crap about this stuff. They've done so many things that have hurt their brand. They don't care about participating in this unless it happened spontaneously. I don't think they'll take a pay cut to joint the MWC or AAC for supposed access. It's become the Globetrotters of CFB

16 hours ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

Except they have to get past the aac too.    There’s the rub for any MWC team.

No you don't. You just have to be rated in the top 6. Boise went to the first Access Bowl.

12 hours ago, Ibanez said:

Actually you're probably correct. The last time the MWC was looking at expansion UTEP and Rice was the names people were saying.

UTEP makes the most sense but I think Texas State and North Texas has the most upside with North Texas being the better candidate. But they would probably bring in UTEP.

And because I know people will criticize....UTSA has the worst basketball arena in sports. San Marcos is literally between Austin and San Antonio and has facilities that rival anyone in the G5 and some of the P5 as well. North Texas has a nice stadium and an aging but good sized hoops arena that was nicknamed the snake pit because of all the snakes the would find there after it would rain. They were talking about building a new arena.

But UTEP makes the most sense.

I think UTEP would be a horrible addition. It's redundant with the New Mexico market, doesn't add a TV market, doesn't add recruiting. Would make much more sense to try and bring in a program like Montana or Montana State that has some actual potential. I know I give the NDSU clowns around here a lot of grief, but I'd even consider them before UTEP.

16 hours ago, Ibanez said:

He doesn't shut up about being a P6.The P5 wouldn't let that ever happen. But this isn't quite the same thing but it's probably the best outcome.

What I'm saying is the committee came up with this idea and then shared it with the other AD's and Presidents. I don't know how much input the others had bit this seems like Hair was doing his job and batting for the little guys for a change. I'd be amazed if two G5's get in. And I think BYU is screwed with the way they schedule. It might be their best interest to call the AAC.

Actually, BYU might tone down their scheduling if this happens.  One thing for sure is this would be great news for BYU, because if this give them a clear path to the College Football Playoff with 6 at large spots to the highest ranked team after the 6 highest conference champions are taken (no conference membership is required to receive an at large).

9 hours ago, HawaiiMongoose said:

Agreed.  While I think BYU would opt for the AAC over the MWC, if the Cougars did want to come back it would make the most sense to pair them with North Texas.  While the Mean Green haven’t done much in football lately, they’ve been better than Texas State and UTEP.  They’ve also been solid in hoops the past couple of years.

I get the sense North Texas would be just "there."  A warm body who won't hurt the MWC, but won't really move the needle much either.  

As an aside, I bet UH is even happier than Boise fans with the CFP expansion proposal.  If approved, Boise will have every incentive to remain here, and Hawaii needn't worry about possibly visiting potato land in all sports every two years.  

Peace and harmony in the MWC.

Now about revisiting that $1.8 million annual bonus Boise is guaranteed... :ph34r:

51 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

I don't see anything wrong with this.

It's not about right or wrong, I just assume the Autonomy group looks out for themselves...so I won't be shocked if they just go top 12 in the final rankings and drop the top 6 conf champs. We'll see. 

41 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

If they earned it. I don't know why so many people have so much angst about the SEC. It's the best league by a landslide

I don't disagree about the SEC, but I think there are teams in that league that get more credit than they deserve simply by sharing a conference with Alabama, LSU and Georgia to the detriment of teams in other conferences.

1 hour ago, Jack Bauer said:

I think UTEP would be a horrible addition. It's redundant with the New Mexico market, doesn't add a TV market, doesn't add recruiting. Would make much more sense to try and bring in a program like Montana or Montana State that has some actual potential. I know I give the NDSU clowns around here a lot of grief, but I'd even consider them before UTEP.

Even Tarleton State before UTEP.

The Montana schools have great programs but I don’t think they have anything close to the money to make such a move. The closest program like that IMHO is NDSU. Plus you get an on the field product that could help get your conference some wins.

15 hours ago, sactowndog said:

If they go undefeated the AAC team will have one loss for sure.  

There were one loss teams ahead of undefeated MW teams the last two years for stretches.  The separation is getting wider not smaller.  It’s going to take a legitimate down year from the aac and an undefeated run from the MWC, sunbelt, MAC, cusa to get in.  But at least that’s possible, unlike the current system.  

After observing the last decade or so, I'm not sure the BYU administration really gives a crap about this stuff. They've done so many things that have hurt their brand. They don't care about participating in this unless it happened spontaneously. I don't think they'll take a pay cut to joint the MWC or AAC for supposed access. It's become the Globetrotters of CFB

No you don't. You just have to be rated in the top 6. Boise went to the first Access Bowl.

The AAC would be a pay raise, and UCF went to the first access bowl after the change.

2 hours ago, Jack Bauer said:

The American doesn't have any leverage over BYU.

Join a league. CFB is about leagues.

American has all the leverage now.  The only leverage byu has is if they want to stay independent, but even they want in on the money train.  They aren’t getting in the playoff without being in a conference and the aac is the best option.  

You contradicted yourself with your second statement, you know its true. Your fanbase knows it’s true- the entire front page of your forum is various threads about joining the aac.  And most importantly aresco knows it’s true.  Luckily the aac has the best access to the playoff outside the sec now, they don’t have to expand unless it gets them more money.

6 minutes ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

The AAC would be a pay raise, and UCF went to the first access bowl after the change.

Ditching Gonzaga, Saint Mary's and Pepperdine and getting excited about ECU and Tulane is a tall task.

2 hours ago, e-zone99 said:

Actually, BYU might tone down their scheduling if this happens.  One thing for sure is this would be great news for BYU, because if this give them a clear path to the College Football Playoff with 6 at large spots to the highest ranked team after the 6 highest conference champions are taken (no conference membership is required to receive an at large).

BYU isn't getting an at large spot over ND, SEC #2-4, B1G #2-3, etc with a schedule like last year

Schedules need to be at least as hard as they are now, which will generally result in 3-5 losses most years.

1 hour ago, Del Scorcho said:

I don't disagree about the SEC, but I think there are teams in that league that get more credit than they deserve simply by sharing a conference with Alabama, LSU and Georgia to the detriment of teams in other conferences.

I see a lot of Utah fans that hate the SEC for whatever reason, but if I'm taking the fourth or fifth best team from a league, more often than not SEC #4-5 will be better than B1G, ACC, Big12, or PAC12 #4 or 5. 

Let's look at 2019, and I get that this isn't the same every year. It would be interesting if someone went through it and looked at the fourth or fifth team in each league the past decade.

Big 12 #4 was 8-5 Oklahoma State

ACC #4 was 8-5 Wake Forest or VaTech

Big10 #4 was Minnesota, 10-2 ranked #10. This was one of the best seasons in the past decade for the Big 10

PAC #4 was 8-5 Cal or 5-7 Oregon State

SEC #4 was Alabama 10-2 and ranked #8, their #5 team was 9-4 Auburn ranked #14. Their sixth team was 8-5 TAMU

Who are you picking out of that group to get the last 2 bids to a playoff? I'm picking Minn, Bama, Auburn for consideration if there's one or two spots left. 

39 minutes ago, ToTheMountains said:

The Montana schools have great programs but I don’t think they have anything close to the money to make such a move. The closest program like that IMHO is NDSU. Plus you get an on the field product that could help get your conference some wins.

I don't think they do either, but they at least have a history of winning championships sometimes at their current level and being committed to the sport, which I think is more than we can say about UTEP at this point.