Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

12 Team CFB playoff ?

This 12 team CFP format has two thumbs up from me.  This is better than having automatic bids for P5 conference championship teams and the highest G5 champ.  It's possible that two G5 teams could get into the CFP that way.

5 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

He doesn't shut up about being a P6.The P5 wouldn't let that ever happen. But this isn't quite the same thing but it's probably the best outcome.

What I'm saying is the committee came up with this idea and then shared it with the other AD's and Presidents. I don't know how much input the others had bit this seems like Hair was doing his job and batting for the little guys for a change. I'd be amazed if two G5's get in. And I think BYU is screwed with the way they schedule. It might be their best interest to call the AAC.

Why.  BYU would be better off to join the MWC and get on the opposite side of Boise.   Run their schedule and beat Boise in the Championship Game and they are likely in.   

Imagine if a G5 wins the national championship (or even goes far in beating the blue bloods).  The social-economic mobility potential is there.  Potential for better media deals.  More fans.  More recruits.

If they mess with the Hawaii exemption (Week Zero) to fit in a 12 game season, hope the NCAA throws us another bone.  Week -1?

Maybe I’m wrong here but if the MWC were to ever add a team, wouldn’t they try to add a team that consistently WINS? UTEP and North Texas do not scream “Win”. At this point you are trying to create the best situation for your conference to have a member in the playoff. Not to add a team because they are in a state like Texas in which neither have any history of winning. Need to have the strongest group of teams possible. AAC has a lot to offer with Cinci, Memphis, UCF, Houston just to name a few. MWC has Boise, SDSU, sometimes Fresno. Strength needs to be built within the conference.

32 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

Actually you're probably correct. The last time the MWC was looking at expansion UTEP and Rice was the names people were saying.

UTEP makes the most sense but I think Texas State and North Texas has the most upside with North Texas being the better candidate. But they would probably bring in UTEP.

And because I know people will criticize....UTSA has the worst basketball arena in sports. San Marcos is literally between Austin and San Antonio and has facilities that rival anyone in the G5 and some of the P5 as well. North Texas has a nice stadium and an aging but good sized hoops arena that was nicknamed the snake pit because of all the snakes the would find there after it would rain. They were talking about building a new arena.

But UTEP makes the most sense.

Yeah I would get a team in the Triangle.  North Texas would be easy.   I have a soft spot for Texas State as I think the MWC would be wise marketing wise to position themselves as the “State” schools..... but lets face North Texas is a R1 level school, part of the UT system, and is in Dallas Fort Worth area.   

The DallasFort Worth–Arlington metropolitan statistical area's population was 7,573,136 according to the U.S. Census Bureau's 2019 population estimates, making it the most populous metropolitan area in both Texas and the Southern United States, the fourth-largest in the U.S., and the tenth-largest in the Americas.

The real question is why haven’t we added them already.   

2 hours ago, Ibanez said:

Actually you're probably correct. The last time the MWC was looking at expansion UTEP and Rice was the names people were saying.

UTEP makes the most sense but I think Texas State and North Texas has the most upside with North Texas being the better candidate. But they would probably bring in UTEP.

And because I know people will criticize....UTSA has the worst basketball arena in sports. San Marcos is literally between Austin and San Antonio and has facilities that rival anyone in the G5 and some of the P5 as well. North Texas has a nice stadium and an aging but good sized hoops arena that was nicknamed the snake pit because of all the snakes the would find there after it would rain. They were talking about building a new arena.

But UTEP makes the most sense.

No.  That is all.

9 hours ago, AztecSU said:

If this sticks it will lead to the top 4-6 G5 programs blowing the bottom half of P5 out of the water in recruiting. Now, the top 3 programs in the MW and AAC have an easier path to the CFP than the Oregon States and Vandy's and Rutgers of the world who basically never have a shot at winning their conference. 

This would be beautiful to watch unfold.  Could lead to more merit based payoff for exposure and over time money.  This would make us invest in the conference and ourselves rather than only looking towards a P5 invite to change our situations.  

2 hours ago, sactowndog said:

Yeah I would get a team in the Triangle.  North Texas would be easy.   I have a soft spot for Texas State as I think the MWC would be wise marketing wise to position themselves as the “State” schools..... but lets face North Texas is a R1 level school, part of the UT system, and is in Dallas Fort Worth area.   

The DallasFort Worth–Arlington metropolitan statistical area's population was 7,573,136 according to the U.S. Census Bureau's 2019 population estimates, making it the most populous metropolitan area in both Texas and the Southern United States, the fourth-largest in the U.S., and the tenth-largest in the Americas.

The real question is why haven’t we added them already.   

Agreed.  While I think BYU would opt for the AAC over the MWC, if the Cougars did want to come back it would make the most sense to pair them with North Texas.  While the Mean Green haven’t done much in football lately, they’ve been better than Texas State and UTEP.  They’ve also been solid in hoops the past couple of years.

North Texas is not part of the UT system, their football stadium is meh, and their bball arena is known as the Super Pit, not the Snake Pit.

Texas State's facilities are OK but not the best.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.