Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

12 Team CFB playoff ?

2 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

Probably. But I have to imagine that BSU and the MWC will be back in court again after this football season over $.

does Boise think it should get more $$$ by adding those 5 Oregon counties? :D

Let's run a couple of scenarios based on the information we have.

Here's the bracket for the 2019 season (last "normal" season). Would have been way better than watching LSU steamroll Oklahoma and Clemson. Memphis is the only G5 rep in this scenario.

image.png.38d36fa549c1f0d1354922fa946001ac.png

Now let's take a look at last year. Some REALLY interesting matchups in this one. 2 G5 reps in Cincy and Coastal Carolina. Also shows how Notre Dame has a tougher road being independent.

image.png.fed3daebe4e1feec91575175f342ad9c.png

Looking at these, I'm going to have to say the committe did it right. Win your conference and you've got a pretty good shot at getting in. Yes, most years there will only be one G5 team, but this system guarantees access to the G5 while making sure the rankings still matter. Wins all the way around.

5809184128_5cf90ed7dc_b.jpg

If this sticks it will lead to the top 4-6 G5 programs blowing the bottom half of P5 out of the water in recruiting. Now, the top 3 programs in the MW and AAC have an easier path to the CFP than the Oregon States and Vandy's and Rutgers of the world who basically never have a shot at winning their conference. 

6 minutes ago, WYO1016 said:

Here's the bracket for the 2019 season (last "normal" season). Would have been way better than watching LSU steamroll Oklahoma and Clemson. Memphis is the only G5 rep in this scenario.

Now let's take a look at last year. Some REALLY interesting matchups in this one. 2 G5 reps in Cincy and Coastal Carolina. Also shows how Notre Dame has a tougher road being independent.

Looking at these, I'm going to have to say the committe did it right. Win your conference and you've got a pretty good shot at getting in. Yes, most years there will only be one G5 team, but this system guarantees access to the G5 while making sure the rankings still matter. Wins all the way around.

hmmm, I wonder if they would match up conference opponents again? Utah and Oregon played in the conference championship game

3 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

hmmm, I wonder if they would match up conference opponents again? Utah and Oregon played in the conference championship game

Good point. I made those purely based on week 16 rankings. I'd think they'll have to have some sort of plan in place to make sure championship games aren't repeated.

1 minute ago, WYO1016 said:

Good point. I made those purely based on week 16 rankings. I'd think they'll have to have some sort of plan in place to make sure championship games aren't repeated.

make it like March Madness where you can't play someone from your own conference until the next round

2 minutes ago, BacksThePack said:

I like that 6 highest champs thing. Some years the B12 or P12 champ is hardly ranked in the last 10 to 15 years.

So does the aac, Mike aresco is like a school kid on social media crowing about his p6 moniker.  There’s been rumors about him getting a contract extension and we’ve been wondering WHYYY but now we can see what’s been happening behind the scenes.

23 minutes ago, WYO1016 said:

Oklahoma would have been the 4 seed last year

28 minutes ago, WYO1016 said:

A&M wouldn't have gotten a bye.  At least one of the articles indicated that the byes would go to the four highest-ranked conference champions and that ND/Independents are not eligible.  So I think that would have been Cincinnati.

Edit:  Looks like the final CFP rankings had Oklahoma as #6, ahead of #8 Cincinnati, so @sebasour above is right - Oklahoma would have gotten the bye.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/rankings/_/week/1/year/2020/seasontype/3

2 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

So if this tweet is accurate I'm going to guess the committee nixes the 6 conf champs + 6 at-large format and they go with top 12 instead. 

Doubt it.

This a huge win.  It's Boise over Oklahoma x10.  

A MWC team will be in the CFP soon.  And then again.  And again.  It may not be every year, but it will be often enough that it fundamentally changes what it means to be in any "G5" conference.  

Forget the "P5" or the "P6,"  it's the "CFP6" now, and those 6 will be fluid.  

1 hour ago, Del Scorcho said:

ND getting screwed here IMO

https://theathletic.com/2644891/2021/06/10/college-football-playoff-expansion-proposal-whats-right-whats-wrong-and-whod-benefit-most-from-the-12-team-format/

If you were the commissioner of the conference you cover, how do you think this new proposal would help or hurt your league’s Playoff aspirations?

Pete Sampson (Notre Dame beat writer): Notre Dame’s “commissioner” was on the committee drafting the 12-team proposal in athletics director Jack Swarbrick, so we already have an answer for this. It helps Notre Dame in almost every way, even if there’s a wonky drawback to reserving the four byes for conference champions, even if the Irish finish No. 1 (2012), No. 3 (2018) or No. 4 (2020). The idea that Notre Dame could be ranked No. 1 at the end of the regular season but have to host a first-round game doesn’t make a lot of sense. But that’s a minor drawback compared to the access the Irish get to the Playoff with six at-large bids available. Notre Dame’s nightmare scenario was an eight-team field with six automatic bids and two at-large slots. The 12-team field is just about perfect.

How should Notre Dame fans feel about this format and its impact on their team’s Playoff chances? 

Sampson (Notre Dame): Thrilled. If college football was ever going to get Notre Dame to join a conference, the College Football Playoff was always the biggest driver. If the Playoff ever got to a point where conference champions were only allowed, Notre Dame would have to join the ACC in full, There will always be three tripwires for Notre Dame and conference affiliation: 1. Access to the football championship game. 2. A television network for home games. 3. A home for Olympic sports. This doesn’t change No. 2 or No. 3. It improves No. 1. The notion that Notre Dame cannot have a bye week in the Playoff because it’s not a conference champion doesn’t make a lot of sense, but life is a negotiation.

Dochterman (Big Ten): Notre Dame should be thrilled. Its athletics director helped create the proposed system without surrendering any of the tenets that made it unique. Did it deserve special treatment? That’s up for debate.

Emerson (SEC): College football is better when Notre Dame is good. If the Fighting Irish are good enough to basically be guaranteed a spot in the 12-team Playoff every year, then so be it, as long as they earn it.

Haller (Pac-12): Hard to imagine a better scenario for the Fighting Irish. That said, I agree with Seth: The sport is better when Notre Dame matters.

Raynor (ACC): I’m sure Notre Dame fans are pumped. Their athletic director had a seat at the table in recommending this model. As Pete mentioned, this would allow Notre Dame to make the Playoff without having an incentive to join a conference. Not being eligible for a first-round bye could be frustrating, but it seems like that’s a tradeoff Notre Dame is willing to make. An actual have-your-cake-and-eat-it-too scenario. I also feel like Notre Dame and Clemson have built a nice little rivalry. Seeing each other in the Playoff could allow these two teams to keep playing, even in the years they’re not on each other’s regular-season schedules.

Kersey (Big 12): Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but looking at this proposal, I feel like it virtually guarantees Notre Dame a spot in the Playoff most years as long as it doesn’t lose more than two regular-season games. Sure, it’s a tad unfair that, as Pete said, the Irish can’t have a first-round bye. But I feel like that is at least partially made up by advantages Notre Dame’s situation affords it.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

9 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

what will the record of SEC teams be in the CFP?

4, 5 maybe even 6 teams in? That is the one negative I can forsee 

They have never had more than 4 in the 8 years of the CFP, and its usually been 1 to 3.  In 2014, the Big 12 would have had 3 (and none of them OU or UT).

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

1 hour ago, sebasour said:

Oklahoma would have been the 4 seed last year

1 hour ago, Pelado said:

A&M wouldn't have gotten a bye.  At least one of the articles indicated that the byes would go to the four highest-ranked conference champions and that ND/Independents are not eligible.  So I think that would have been Cincinnati.

Edit:  Looks like the final CFP rankings had Oklahoma as #6, ahead of #8 Cincinnati, so @sebasour above is right - Oklahoma would have gotten the bye.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/rankings/_/week/1/year/2020/seasontype/3

You guys are right. My bad. Here's the correction:

image.png