Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

12 Team CFB playoff ?

It’s a step in the right direction but 16 seems smarter.  The four ‘best’ teams getting extra time off doesn’t seem competitively just.  12 is bad for all the g5 conferences but especially the other 4.  The aac/rogue g5 gets a team in but gets the cards stacked against them while the p5 adds 7 more teams with easier schedule? I don’t think so.  Just keep it the way it is and let the PAC/big 12 squirm in getting left out year after year.  If they can’t do it right and make it a true tournament then the g5 needs to stick together and vote no.  The proposed 12 team will kill realignment which is the only hope of moving up and just give the aac scraps.  It will make things worse. 

Anyone else thinks that maybe all this XFL and CFL merger talk, coupled with the announcement USFL is coming back has the powers that be in CFB worried?

There is already a pro basketball league popping up that is signing kids right out of high school to big contracts as an alternative to college. They offer a personalized education program on top of getting fat bank accounts.

Really think about it... Who do these leagues have the potential to harm more? NFL or the play for free league that is completely unfair and only benefits the few.....

2 hours ago, Ibanez said:

Especially the other four? So you don't think it's fair to the MAC, C-USA, Sunbelt, and AAC? I know head to head the MWC owns the AAC but the American should get a team in every once in a while, especially with Cincinnati, Memphis, and Houston in the league.

Don't be surprised to eventually see Houston and Cinci get a Big 12 invite some day down the road. 

48 minutes ago, Poisestate said:

Anyone else thinks that maybe all this XFL and CFL merger talk, coupled with the announcement USFL is coming back has the powers that be in CFB worried?

There is already a pro basketball league popping up that is signing kids right out of high school to big contracts as an alternative to college. They offer a personalized education program on top of getting fat bank accounts.

Really think about it... Who do these leagues have the potential to harm more? NFL or the play for free league that is completely unfair and only benefits the few.....

Not sure if the resurrection of the USFL & XFL along with CFL will be enough to do in college Fb entirely, but it could trim the fat at the D-1 level.......cause if players opt out of college for "pay" leagues, then the P5 programs will suck up most of the talent that is left to fill the void, thus sinking the remaining G5 programs recruiting prospects overall - Could be a domino effect in FB all the way down from NFL to secondary pro leagues to P5 to G5 to FCS 

If that happens, will some G5 schools just drop FB as it costs too much $$ & there's no way to cover the costs ........and I could then see the P5 consolidating & trimming their fat & even leaving the NCAA to form their own coalition with some pay day to compete with the USFL, XFL & CFL 

I'd give it even money that the B12 implodes (before it expands) , the cream of the B12 FB move on to a new 4 division/league power program setup that is basically a pro league with pay that moves them in the same area as USFL, XFL & CFL........at that point the G5 is rendered irrelevant and some schools currently in P5 conferences will be left for dead as FB programs 

16 is definitely the way to go, but this is moving in the right direction. 

A 16 team bracket with all conferences getting an autobid would get so much more attention than the current system. It would be a mini-March Madness where everyone fills out a bracket and enjoys watching for upsets. With 11 autobids and 5 at-larges it would be the perfect balance of letting the little guys in, along with the SEC/BIG 10 potentially getting 3-4 teams in during good years. College football is one of the best sports out there, but it's postseason absolutely sucks. I would probably watch most games of a 16-team playoff, and I haven't tuned into a playoff game in years. 

The eight first round games could take place at the higher seeds home stadium. Then the remaining 6 can alternate between the current 6 major bowls, and maybe have a rotating, neutral championship game site. 

Even if this requires cutting the season down to eleven games it would be such an improvement. It would give every team a shot a national title, while still giving the SEC and the Big 10 the ability to gain more access. Hopefully the lack of interest outside of the deep south of the past few playoffs will help us move toward something like this. 

The College Football Playoff's management committee is expected to release a recommendation for an expanded playoff format Thursday, a source confirmed to The Athletic's Nicole Auerbach.

The CFP's four-person working group — which consists of SEC commissioner Greg Sankey, Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby, Mountain West commissioner Craig Thompson and Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick — is expected to recommend a 12-team playoff, according to sources.

The 12-team format would include the six highest-ranked conference champions and six at-large spots.

This is a developing story. More to come.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Is it fitting or irony that possibly the most versatile word in the English language is also of unknown origin?

5810036134_cb4d739b38_b.jpg

37 minutes ago, RSF said:

The College Football Playoff's management committee is expected to release a recommendation for an expanded playoff format Thursday, a source confirmed to The Athletic's Nicole Auerbach.

The CFP's four-person working group — which consists of SEC commissioner Greg Sankey, Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby, Mountain West commissioner Craig Thompson and Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick — is expected to recommend a 12-team playoff, according to sources.

The 12-team format would include the six highest-ranked conference champions and six at-large spots.

This is a developing story. More to come.

Yep looking like 12.   We shall see if 2 unbeaten G5 teams have a shot at getting in.    I actually like 12 better than 16 because it gives the G5 champ a shot against a weaker team than Alabama or Clemson to prove they belong.   

Woo, I’m sure it’s been noted here but it looks like the 6 highest rated conference champs plus six at-large.  Not ideal, but gives a the underdogs a chance.  Cincy and Coastal Carolina would’ve gotten under these terms last season.  The question now bares: does the aac do full western expansion to cement the 6th conference status or do they take their chances that they are already there and don’t need it?  I lean former.  

3 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

Hair should be making sure two G5 teams get in. Surely he isn't the much of a puppet for the P5 AD's and Presidents 

Getting one G5 team in wasn’t a sure thing.  If the committee does in fact recommend a 6-6 structure I think Hair will be patting himself on the back for a job well done.

I’d rather see a 10-6 but that’s a bridge too far.  Maybe another 5-10 years down the road we’ll get to that.

7 minutes ago, HawaiiMongoose said:

Getting one G5 team in wasn’t a sure thing.  If the committee does in fact recommend a 6-6 structure I think Hair will be patting himself on the back for a job well done.

I’d rather see a 10-6 but that’s a bridge too far.  Maybe another 5-10 years down the road we’ll get to that.

Yep.  If the G5 team can win the seeded 5-12 match-up and get into the second round where the usual suspects wait in Alabama, Ohio State and Clemson it will help build that bridge forward.   

6 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

I'd imagine they won't expand now. The AAC will get one of the bids more times than not. Actually I'd say they have enough pull to ways get one of the two bids of there is two bids. 

Looking at the Funbelt, MAC, and C-USA, I'd say they would have to go undefeated to have a chance. And since those teams rely on the P5 money games, it's gonna be a bit rare for them to get a bid over a one loss team from the AAC.

I don’t know, you assume ND will get an at-large most years and I don’t think the committee will earmark 1/3rd of the at-large bids to ND and BYU, especially since they have to account for the years the top MWC team finishes higher than the PAC.  The writing has been on the wall for a bit but it seems BYU’s hand is forced now and the aac has leverage to not expand if they don’t want to…I wouldn’t be surprised to see aac get an opportunity to renegotiate their contract with an addition, especially since I believe byu is due for a renegotiation with ESPN.