Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

grandjean87

You're Stuck With Us

36 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

If we wanted to join the AAC last year, we would be in the AAC.  Just the facts.  

Either that or the AAC didn't want your non-fb sports.  But they could have sweetened the pot for someone else to add them, and they didn't.

1 minute ago, jdgaucho said:

Either that or the AAC didn't want your non-fb sports.  But they could have sweetened the pot for someone else to add them, and they didn't.

I do know that it was football only and Boise was on their own to find a place for their OLY’s. 

What I don’t know is if Boise was…”fck you, all or nothing,” or “let’s see if we can find them a spot.”

I’m betting they tested both.  

46 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

If we wanted to join the AAC last year, we would be in the AAC.  Just the facts.  

That is the big question..Why didn't you want to go to the AAC?  You guys are really unhappy with the MW.  You could have figured something out with your other sports..

Just now, nvspuds said:

That is the big question..Why didn't you want to go to the AAC?  You guys are really unhappy with the MW.  You could have figured something out with your other sports..

Harsin is not Boise, or Tromp.  AAC football only is a financial non starter.  The buyout would have been X2 the previous seasons total conference payout.  The AAC buy in, and less media revenue (70% football only based on Wichita States 30% for BB only).  Increased travel costs, and possible travel subs for non FB sports.

Why would Boise want to lose 20 million bucks or so off the top, just to make less money each year?  The MWC also has a far better T.V. Contract as we will get to renegotiate much, much sooner.

9 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

Facts.

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

10 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

How do you know they didn't?  Still does not change the fact the money would not have been right for Boise.  Boise is not in the Business of LOSING money, especially during a plague year.

12 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Harsin is not Boise, or Tromp.  AAC football only is a financial non starter.  The buyout would have been X2 the previous seasons total conference payout.  The AAC buy in, and less media revenue (70% football only based on Wichita States 30% for BB only).  Increased travel costs, and possible travel subs for non FB sports.

Why would Boise want to lose 20 million bucks or so off the top, just to make less money each year?  The MWC also has a far better T.V. Contract as we will get to renegotiate much, much sooner.

Do you think there is any chance this will improve your relationship with the MW or is that beyond repair?  

24 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

Temple @ BSU

ECU @ SDSU

UCF @ SDSU

USF @BSU

this doesn't make financial sense for men's/women's basketball.

only way we add a Western member is football-only

mem skyline sig.jpeg

2 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

Do you think there is any chance this will improve your relationship with the MW or is that beyond repair?  

I think Harsin leaving, and Tromp dropping the lawsuit after the MWC agreed to hold up their contractual obligations have already helped.  

What would really help repair the relationship is if Boise can make a NY6 game in the next few years.  The money, and improved benefits in recruiting would heal some wounds.  Craig Bohl, after the Fiesta Bowl win in 2014, said he used that as a recruiting tool to show what MWC teams can do on a national stage.

The MWC expects a premiere Boise, and while post 2014 Boise has done a good job being consistently ranked, and finishing ranked often enough, we are not bringing the cred to the conference we once did.  Our bad.  In Andy I trust.  Harsin left us as devoid of talent as we have been in a long, long, long time but Andy is showing some good recruiting chops early and only losing one player to the portal after a coaching change shows he has team buy in.  It won't be this year, but I see really good things down the road in 2-3 years.

4 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I think Harsin leaving, and Tromp dropping the lawsuit after the MWC agreed to hold up their contractual obligations have already helped.  

What would really help repair the relationship is if Boise can make a NY6 game in the next few years.  The money, and improved benefits in recruiting would heal some wounds.  Craig Bohl, after the Fiesta Bowl win in 2014, said he used that as a recruiting tool to show what MWC teams can do on a national stage.

The MWC expects a premiere Boise, and while post 2014 Boise has done a good job being consistently ranked, and finishing ranked often enough, we are not bringing the cred to the conference we once did.  Our bad.  In Andy I trust.  Harsin left us as devoid of talent as we have been in a long, long, long time but Andy is showing some good recruiting chops early and only losing one player to the portal after a coaching change shows he has team buy in.  It won't be this year, but I see really good things down the road in 2-3 years.

Any MW school getting into a NY6 game would provide the same benefit.  I think Boise may actually regret not leaving pretty much right away.  The idea was to get more exposure, particularly in the population and media rich East to improve your chances to get into a big boy conference..

The MW is a fun regional conference but pretty much an after thought every where else.  

32 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

How do you know they didn't?  Still does not change the fact the money would not have been right for Boise.  Boise is not in the Business of LOSING money, especially during a plague year.

I don't know they didn't :shrug:.  Your guess is as good as mine.  However, reading the tea leaves it's reasonable to believe that if the AAC had extended a full invite to Boise State (and Boise State alone), they would have taken it.  It does seem like a fb-only offer was made to Boise State.

We know Boise State was in talks with the WCC and Big West.  Nothing ultimately happened on that front(s), so here we are with the status quo intact

1 minute ago, nvspuds said:

Any MW school getting into a NY6 game would provide the same benefit.  I think Boise may actually regret not leaving pretty much right away.  The idea was to get more exposure, particularly in the population and media rich East to improve your chances to get into a big boy conference..

The MW is a fun regional conference but pretty much an after thought every where else.  

We are getting more exposure than we would have in the AAC.  Two national broadcasts this year, in time slots that target the East Coast viewers. A third if we make the MWCCG, no games on a streaming platform.  Not bad for a team coming of a bad season.  Lots of P5 teams have worse outlooks for exposure this upcoming season.

1 minute ago, jdgaucho said:

I don't know they didn't :shrug:.  Your guess is as good as mine.  However, reading the tea leaves it's reasonable to believe that if the AAC had extended a full invite to Boise State (and Boise State alone), they would have taken it.  

We do know Boise State was in talks with the WCC and Big West.  Nothing ultimately happened on that front(s), so here we are.  Status quo.

I don't think it was anything more than putting out feelers to appease our egomaniac coach who sucks at math and does not get how money works.

Good riddance.

What does BS-U offer at all to earn the extra cash? Nothing!

This was a BS deal done by a panicked MWC leadership, meaning University Presidents. Now it is all about paying for an old Delorean. It prompted a lot of attention at one time but now it just promptes a bored shrug. Eh

1 minute ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I don't think it was anything more than putting out feelers to appease our egomaniac coach who sucks at math and does not get how money works.

Good riddance.

Even if just a feeler, it was something worth a look.  And Harsin leaving definitely removed a headache for Dr. Tromp.

Just now, jdgaucho said:

Even if just a feeler, it was something worth a look.  And Harsin leaving definitely removed a headache for Dr. Tromp.

Yeah, worth a poke and a prod, kick the rocks and see what is available.  But given we had just cut two sports, one which was the last presidents baby and years in the making, and the other a sport consistantly in the top 15 nationally, to save money, no way we were seriously considering a football only invite that would have cost us so much money right off the top, to take a yearly pay cut in revenue.

All sports makes more sense, It would be a slight yearly pay raise but still not sure how we get out of the early exit multiplier (X2 yearly revenue distribution), two entrance fees, and increased travel expenses.  Especially not in a COVID year.

3 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

We are getting more exposure than we would have in the AAC.  Two national broadcasts this year, in time slots that target the East Coast viewers. A third if we make the MWCCG, no games on a streaming platform.  Not bad for a team coming of a bad season.  Lots of P5 teams have worse outlooks for exposure this upcoming season.

If you have this already why have you spent the last several years trying to leave..Boise has clearly been very unhappy and I believe you will continue to be unhappy.  That really isn't good for anyone, Boise included.  I admire the Boise ambition but this seems like an unexpected  retreat to me.  I have seen Boise for 50 years now. They have gone for it and taken chances many times..This surprised me.

Just now, nvspuds said:

If you have this already why have you spent the last several years trying to leave..Boise has clearly been very unhappy and I believe you will continue to be unhappy.  That really isn't good for anyone, Boise included.  I admire the Boise ambition but this seems like an unexpected  retreat to me.  I have seen Boise for 50 years now. They have gone for it and taken chances many times..This surprised me.

We haven't.  We flirted with the AAC for all sports, kicked a few rocks around for football only.  It did not make sense.  That's not trying to leave for several years.  That's considering options in a highly unusual year with a coach trying to bully the new school president, and the new president humoring him slightly.

29 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

Temple @ BSU

ECU @ SDSU

UCF @ SDSU

USF @BSU

this doesn't make financial sense for men's/women's basketball.

only way we add a Western member is football-only

...which is why I said the AAC needed "to sweeten the pot for the Big West, WCC or WAC to take them in for other sports"

In the original arrangement prior to the Big East split, SDSU was guaranteed (4?) basketball games by the Big East to help soften the RPI / NET hit.  I think the AAC could have done that for Boise.  Offered to chip in a couple games for each BW, WAC or WCC member, or cover their travel subsidy if applicable.  That sorta thing.  Maybe the AAC did. I suspect they did not.