Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bsu_alum9

OT: Navy's Cameron Kinley got screwed

That's why you don't go to one of the academies. A commitment to the Navy is what he made, if he wanted to play in the NFL he should have gone almost anywhere else. 

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. 
         ---Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.

1 hour ago, teappotts said:

That's why you don't go to one of the academies. A commitment to the Navy is what he made, if he wanted to play in the NFL he should have gone almost anywhere else. 

Exactly.  The Navy is enforcing the contract that Kinley agreed to.  I’m not sure how this constitutes him being “screwed.”

He got screwed by being forced to honor his commitment? I don’t get it.  If he didn’t want to serve his country according to military rules, he should have never enrolled.  

I don’t know him but he comes across as entitled.  Not sure that makes the best military officer.  The government should cut him a deal...let him play football but he has to serve as an enlisted reserve member for 4 years and pay back every Penny to the US taxpayer for his cost of attendance at the academy.  

17 hours ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Bullshit!

He got the incredible education he signed up for.

Now it's time to honor his commitment...a commitment he made to all of us who have paid him to go to school for the last four years.

...my guess is that they'll eventually make a special arrangement for him but maybe not right away, and no one should expect, or demand, such

I wouldn't go so far as to say he was screwed. He made a commitment, and that's how that goes. But I also think the Navy could delay his commitment — which is different than not honoring the commitment — with no harm to them. It has before. Maybe someone who understands the military better than me can explain why it is so important that McKinley serve immediately, but others got to delay their commitment?

The shelf life of an NFL player is short. For an undrafted free agent, even shorter. This really will end his opportunity. Chances are if he was given the opportunity, he would be back in the service by the fall anyway after he's used for training camp fodder for a couple of weeks. And nobody is worse for wear. 

I think his grime is that players from the other two service academies got their releases and are allowed to skip their committment. While I get that he feels treated unfairly I think it's actually West Point and AFA that screwed up by releasing the other players. Personally I think the whole thing is a shame and the defense department should never have changed the rules, but unfortunately they did in 2019 under the previous government.

56 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

I wouldn't go so far as to say he was screwed. He made a commitment, and that's how that goes. But I also think the Navy could delay his commitment — which is different than not honoring the commitment — with no harm to them. It has before. Maybe someone who understands the military better than me can explain why it is so important that McKinley serve immediately, but others got to delay their commitment?

The shelf life of an NFL player is short. For an undrafted free agent, even shorter. This really will end his opportunity. Chances are if he was given the opportunity, he would be back in the service by the fall anyway after he's used for training camp fodder for a couple of weeks. And nobody is worse for wear. 

Not necessarily, I mean Roger Staubach was a 27 year old rookie :shrug:

6 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Yes, but that was Roger Staubach, a household name and Heisman Trophy winner. Not a fringe player on an UFA contract.

4 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Yes, but that was Roger Staubach, a household name and Heisman Trophy winner. Not a fringe player on an UFA contract.

Yeah, but until I looked, I didn't know that he served his entire commitment before playing in the NFL.

Pretty impressive but the Cowboys still suck!

He’s not getting screwed and he knows it. The policy from DOD has been if a player gets drafted their service could be deferred or they could serve in the reserve. It never applied to an UDFA. End of story. If the Navy makes an exception for him, where does it end? 

22 hours ago, renoskier said:

Roger was color blind. 

Never should have been admitted to the Navy.

Person giving him the eye exam RE color wasn't paying attention and just passed him without verifying.

God Bless America...

New-Signature.jpg

21 hours ago, renoskier said:

Yeah, but until I looked, I didn't know that he served his entire commitment before playing in the NFL.

Pretty impressive but the Cowboys still suck!

Hey....

New-Signature.jpg

11 hours ago, sean327 said:

He’s not getting screwed and he knows it. The policy from DOD has been if a player gets drafted their service could be deferred or they could serve in the reserve. It never applied to an UDFA. End of story. If the Navy makes an exception for him, where does it end? 

umm...

at UDFAs

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

1 hour ago, Maynard Delecto said:

Sweepers! Sweepers! Man your brooms!

Why do I think it’s fitting that you’re a Squid? Explains a lot.

3 minutes ago, Maynard Delecto said:

Not a squidly. But squidlyhood still >>>>>>> professional camper

Please tell me you’re not a Marine. Phuck me! @East Coast Aztecand I will never live it down if you are.