Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Headbutt

OK, the real Week 1

OK, let's hear it.  This is the actual week 1 schedule.  How you gonna' do, and why?

Thursday, September 2, 2021 Football
Date Away Home Time Location Links
Thursday 9/2/2021
TBA

Las Vegas, Nevada  
Thursday 9/2/2021
UCF
7 p.m. ET

Orlando, Florida TV: ESPN
Friday, September 3, 2021 Football
Friday 9/3/2021
7 p.m. MT

Fort Collins, Colorado TV: FS1
Saturday, September 4, 2021 Football
Saturday 9/4/2021
11 a.m. PT

Eugene, Oregon TV: Pac-12 Network
Saturday 9/4/2021
TBA

Laramie, Wyoming  
Saturday 9/4/2021
TBA

Honolulu, Hawaii  
Saturday 9/4/2021
TBA

Colorado Springs, Colorado  
Saturday 9/4/2021
TBA

Albuquerque, New Mexico  
Saturday 9/4/2021
USC
2 p.m. PT

Los Angeles, California TV: Pac-12 Network
Saturday 9/4/2021
7:30 p.m. PT

Berekeley, California TV: FS1
Saturday 9/4/2021
7:30 p.m. PT

San Diego, California TV: CBSSN
Saturday 9/4/2021
8 p.m. PT

Pullman, Washington TV: Pac-12 Network

I'll start.  South Dakota State was an FCS juggernaut last year, but they played an extended schedule in spring ball.  That leaves a very short off-season to rest and heal.  While the FCS schedule was a very enhanced spring camp and is to their advantage, the shortened off-season is not.

CSU will be improved in almost all phases in '21.  How improved is hard to predict, but we'll be better.  We return one of the best D-lines in the country, have shored up our O-line and RB situation and return a QB who had no opportunity to gain a clue about the playbook a year ago.  Reports out of camp suggest that he's a different player (we'll see, but I'm sold that he'll at least be better).  LB's will continue to be solid but we still have concerns about the D-backfield.  That could be our achilles heel.  Special teams have been addressed, which didn't really happen last year due to limited practice under new O and D systems.

I just don't see any way we lose to an FCS program at home, in the opener.  We don't know a ton about the '21 RAMS, but we know that they'll be better than '20.  Good enough to beat the almost FCS champs.

Wyoming has an interesting matchup against Montana State. Brent Vigen is the new head coach, so we can pretty much guarantee that the passing game will be non-existant and the running game is going to be all A gap all the time. Our defensive coordinator should be licking his chops for this game.

I'm very interested to see how much Wyoming's offense improves now that Vigen isn't calling the shots anymore. I'm looking for at least a mediocre passing game, some screens, and some outside runs.

5809184128_5cf90ed7dc_b.jpg

These FCS games could be trouble. 

#2 SDSU vs. CSU

#10 EWU vs. UNLV

I'm not overly confident in Boise vs. UCF.  After the spring game, our offense looked atrocious.  And our secondary isn't a good match-up for UCF passing game.

We will give USC all they can handle. Cade Hall would be the best DL in the pac-12. Keeping him out of their backfield is going to be a challenge. I predict a Trojan win, but much closer than the national media would expect. Something like 38-31 with the Spartans having a chance at the end. 

I want to go to this game, but 2pm Labor Day weekend in the coliseum is brutal. 

39 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

The Pokes will roll over Moo U because Vigen.

Not really sure how MSU is going to look in '21. They were good in 2019.  Then all of the coaching changes and some player losses.  They should still be competitive in the Big Sky, but their OC has never called a game. 

4 hours ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

We will give USC all they can handle. Cade Hall would be the best DL in the pac-12. Keeping him out of their backfield is going to be a challenge. I predict a Trojan win, but much closer than the national media would expect. Something like 38-31 with the Spartans having a chance at the end. 

I want to go to this game, but 2pm Labor Day weekend in the coliseum is brutal. 

What a lame excuse. It’s not like you are actually playing wussie. The heat in LA in early September doesn’t hold a candle to the southeast. 

Now if it’s because the Spartans are going to get routed like they did against Ball State  I could understand staying home. 

Boise State starts out with a new coaching regime. The Bronco faithful are excited for the game but may be crying afterward. The DLine, RBs, WRs Shakir/Thomas, and FG kicker are good. Everything else is a question mark. The Oline has been mediocre for a decade.

The back seven on defense are average and inexperienced at corner. The safeties are slow to react to the ball. The LBs are laterally slow. Bachmeier can’t read defenses and takes too long to get rid of the ball. The punter kicks it either 30 yards or 50 yards, or into the back of his blockers. A win would be a surprise. 

49 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

What a lame excuse. It’s not like you are actually playing wussie. The heat in LA in early September doesn’t hold a candle to the southeast. 

Now if it’s because the Spartans are going to get routed like they did against Ball State  I could understand staying home. 

If I was playing in the game they’d have those big misting fans on the sidelines. Put some of those up in the stands and I might reconsider.

4 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

The Pokes will roll over Moo U because Vigen.

Pretty sure Wyoming hasn't rolled over anyone since Bohl arrived. It's maddening how they play up or down to the level of their opponent, not to mention the (hopefully extinct) conservative offense that keeps opponents within striking distance. Just once I want to see a few 42-10 wins in a season