Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rosegreen

NBA to Las Vegas? Ownership lined up

Since the Tark era if a list were made of things that hurt the basketball program an NBA presence would rate pretty far down the list. Towards the top of the list would be all of the direct actions of the administration starting with Maxon planting hidden cameras in the practice facilities, secret contracts with coaches and just general disregard for funding or attempting to grow the program. Even discharging Tark was a convoluted and corrupt plan that probably heads the list. 

UNLV has little to no input as to what the billionaires on the strip decide is a way to make money. NBA in Vegas would probably be successful in many ways for the businesses and community especially since the facility is already built and ready to go. The main thing I don’t like about it is that the MGM has the facilities. After the way they played the university on the UNLV NOW project I would bring marshmallows to the MGM 2 fire.

15 hours ago, UofNPackFan said:

A move to the PaC is not necessary for unlv FB success.  Continued succession of winning seasons will change that.  As much as I cannot stand unlv, I have a feeling the FB program is on the right track finally.  I think 3 to 4 wins next season, then add another 2 the season after, then continued winning seasons there after.

A move to the PAC though would be no Brainerd and that is an instant 25k to 35k avg fanbase Increase.

Winning would help, no doubt, and winning will get some more local fans, but to really get it going UNLV FB would need to get ranked & start putting more players in the NFL (better recruiting obviously) - Still for the average LV CFB fan, the MWC isn't seen as anything great - Would help every MWC program if there could be 3 to 4 T25 MWC teams on a regular basis .......but still don't see majority of locals getting fired up to see UNLV vs most MWC teams.

The growth LV & even Reno areas are bringing in people from CA, OR & WA and those people aren't going to look at UNR & UNLV as anything great and will still cling to their old PAC12 & P5 teams - Go to the Midwest & South and those people are die hard fans of their big state P5 schools even though most never set foot on campus.

UNLV BB had that sort of thing back in the Tark era, where most of the locals rallied around what was a nationally prominent program while most of the season ticket holding fan base hadn't attended UNLV & even their kids didn't go to UNLV 

It would be fun to see the local reaction if UNLV started winning at a regular pace and then took it up from that level - Gotta start somewhere and for UNLV FB & BB the infrastructure that is in place now is the best its ever been, so perhaps the time is coming (Hopefully) 

14 hours ago, Headbutt said:

No.  The problem is that it will take nothing less than a 25 - 30 win season for UNLV BB to matter if a pro team comes to town.  There is no way that adding an NBA team in the Las Vegas mix spells an easier road for UNLV.  Just a fact.

There's a few factors at play in all this 

1) NBA will be the hot ticker in the first few seasons & like the VGK winning will sustain them if that happens - Not sure in year 4 a 17-45 record is going to bring locals out, but visiting fans could keep attendance rolling

2) Same with UNLV - If UNLV is finishing 3rd or worse in a below average MWC, then that's not going to fill seats - Now a 3rd place MWC finish might be acceptable if the 1st & 2nd MWC teams are ranked #7 #11 & 3rd might be #22.......that's what the MWC needs 

I love how some people who have never lived in Las Vegas are suddenly experts in our demographic and behavioral patterns when it comes to fan support of our professional teams and UNLV. There are a lot of factors as to why UNLV Football had attendance issues other than not fielding a competitive product. The fan experience at Sam Boyd along with the ridiculous heat was  never very enticing, but ticket prices were very affordable and a family of 4 could attend a game and pay under $100. Now that their playing at Allegiant, tickets are still very affordable and UNLV fans who could never afford to take a family of 4 to a Raider or VGK game can still enjoy the game day atmosphere of being in an NFL stadium. UNLV always has and always will fill a niche here and Vegas.

4 hours ago, King Spartan said:

Vegas should get behind the Maloofs. They have NBA ownership experience.

Maloofs of ABQ owned the Houston Rockets back in the day.......Current Vegas Maloofs own a % of the VGK now 

I'd love to see Vegas get a NBA team.  They would immediately be my 2nd favorite team in the league.  

I do question is vegas is large enough to support 3 pro teams, (4, if you include the WNBA) and UNLV sports. 

Baseball would be nice too, but they'd need a new stadium. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

On 6/5/2021 at 9:56 PM, UNLV2001 said:

This is true - VGK have no trouble with FA's and I imagine that could be the case in the NFL, MLB & NBA - what 20=something millionaire wouldn't mind being in Vegas as opposed to Kansas City, Milwaukee, Memphis or Charlotte !?!?!

One advantage Vegas has over many other markets when it comes to free agents - state income tax structure.

18 minutes ago, Pelado said:

One advantage Vegas has over many other markets when it comes to free agents - state income tax structure.

I know an instance where an NHL player said hell no to a CA team, fired his agent, signed an extension with VGK for a contract that paid him a million more aav than what the CA offered. His take home pay was nearly double what he would get in CA. 

23 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

Maloofs of ABQ owned the Houston Rockets back in the day.......Current Vegas Maloofs own a % of the VGK now 

Yeah as a Kings fan, it would be cool to see the Maloofs as owners again. While many have complaints about them, they owned during the only golden era for the Kings. 

1 hour ago, UNLV2001 said:

Same with TX, FL & WA if when Sonics return 

1 hour ago, Rosegreen said:

I know an instance where an NHL player said hell no to a CA team, fired his agent, signed an extension with VGK for a contract that paid him a million more aav than what the CA offered. His take home pay was nearly double what he would get in CA. 

This is why teams like the Warriors, Lakers, Dodgers, Giants, Padres, Nets, and Yankees have no chance to compete. All the good free agents go to the Marlins, Rangers, Rays, Magic, and Rockets.

1 minute ago, NVGiant said:

This is why teams like the Warriors, Lakers, Dodgers, Giants, Padres, Nets, and Yankees have no chance to compete. All the good free agents go to the Marlins, Rangers, Rays, Magic, and Rockets.

True - The streaks of winning by the Rays, Marlins, Rangers, Magic & Rockets just proves no income tax is the route to winning big & championships !!! 

6 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

True - The streaks of winning by the Rays, Marlins, Rangers, Magic & Rockets just proves no income tax is the route to winning big & championships !!! 

Just poking a little fun, for sure. State income tax certainly is part of the equation. But most athletes want the visibility that comes with being a part of a  successful franchise. I think it's fair to assume that all things being equal, they'll sign in a state with lower taxes. But a choice to sign with the Dodgers or the Marlins? Yeah, F taxes.

4 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Just poking a little fun, for sure. State income tax certainly is part of the equation. But most athletes want the visibility that comes with being a part of a  successful franchise. I think it's fair to assume that all things being equal, they'll sign in a state with lower taxes. But a choice to sign with the Dodgers or the Marlins? Yeah, F taxes.

Lot's of factors figure in I imagine.........Endorsement opportunities are probably better in NYC, LA & larger markets - High tax Mass hasn't exactly hurt the Celtics, Bruins, Red Sox & Patriots .........or the Yankees 

Marlins winning is just lightning striking in the few years that team has made the playoffs...........Rays sucked for most of their 20+ year existence 

Giants in high tax SF CA (bay area won titles 3 times in 5 years - Then there's the 49er's streak of winning 

If it was just low or no state income tax, the Texas teams would have a lot more titles on top of what they do have - People like to talk up the no state income tax advantage for the VGK, but with the league cap & limited roster sports it probably only means the VGK might be able to give a 3rd liner a bit more $$ 

7 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Lot's of factors figure in I imagine.........Endorsement opportunities are probably better in NYC, LA & larger markets - High tax Mass hasn't exactly hurt the Celtics, Bruins, Red Sox & Patriots .........or the Yankees 

Marlins winning is just lightning striking in the few years that team has made the playoffs...........Rays sucked for most of their 20+ year existence 

Giants in high tax SF CA (bay area won titles 3 times in 5 years - Then there's the 49er's streak of winning 

If it was just low or no state income tax, the Texas teams would have a lot more titles on top of what they do have - People like to talk up the no state income tax advantage for the VGK, but with the league cap & limited roster sports it probably only means the VGK might be able to give a 3rd liner a bit more $$ 

Yeah. For sure. No state income tax is gravy for these guys. But the bigger deal with the VGK is that ownership has showed a willingness to do what it can to compete, and the franchise has been a winner from Day 1. 

6 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Yeah. For sure. No state income tax is gravy for these guys. But the bigger deal with the VGK is that ownership has showed a willingness to do what it can to compete, and the franchise has been a winner from Day 1. 

Ownership has been willing to spend to win and not build the team via the draft alone - Which helped a ton with the VGK taking the area by storm - Even to the ownership buying & moving the AHL Chicago Wolves to Henderson ........personally I thought Reno would be a good location for the VGK top AHL team, being a one-hour flight, it made sense to lay some claim to the Reno area with ties to the VGK - That NV tie in just made sense, especially for those who are fretting about too much pro-sports saturation of the local market.

Would be nice to see Reno land some sort of actual minor league hockey that is tied to the VGK & not that semi-pro team that just moved in.......think this new team is similar to the old Reno Aces hockey team i used to go see in 1973-75 at the Centennial Coliseum (now Reno / Sparks Conv Center at Kietzke Lane & S Virginia St. (when that was the south end of town!) 

20 hours ago, Rosegreen said:

18 hours ago, NVGiant said:

18 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

Rosegreen's "double the pay" is a ridiculous exaggeration.

Especially when you consider that fact that professional athletes must file tax returns and pay state income taxes in all the states where they play games. So yes, players based in California would certainly be paying higher taxes but probably not enough to base a free agency decision on.

On 6/6/2021 at 12:55 PM, Gator 82 said:

I love how some people who have never lived in Las Vegas are suddenly experts in our demographic and behavioral patterns when it comes to fan support of our professional teams and UNLV. There are a lot of factors as to why UNLV Football had attendance issues other than not fielding a competitive product. The fan experience at Sam Boyd along with the ridiculous heat was  never very enticing, but ticket prices were very affordable and a family of 4 could attend a game and pay under $100. Now that their playing at Allegiant, tickets are still very affordable and UNLV fans who could never afford to take a family of 4 to a Raider or VGK game can still enjoy the game day atmosphere of being in an NFL stadium. UNLV always has and always will fill a niche here and Vegas.

There has never been any interest in UNLV football. And it had nothing to do with the weather. Sam Boyd's location certainly played a part, especially in its early days when it was really out in the middle of the desert. Lack of success has been part of the problem, too. But even when Cunningham was at UNLV, the best Rebel football team in my lifetime, interest was marginal and completely overshadowed by the basketball program. (I remember going to watch them play a ranked SMU team near the end of that season, and the stadium was maybe 2/3 full.) Nobody is dying to go to a UNLV game, with or without a new stadium. Now, if they have a little sustained success, something the program never has been able to do, they might be able to turn it around. But unlike basketball, UNLV football never really has been some sort of sleeping giant. From my earliest memories, that program has been met with nothing more than apathy.

1 hour ago, NVGiant said:

There has never been any interest in UNLV football. And it had nothing to do with the weather. Sam Boyd's location certainly played a part, especially in its early days when it was really out in the middle of the desert. Lack of success has been part of the problem, too. But even when Cunningham was at UNLV, the best Rebel football team in my lifetime, interest was marginal and completely overshadowed by the basketball program. (I remember going to watch them play a ranked SMU team near the end of that season, and the stadium was maybe 2/3 full.) Nobody is dying to go to a UNLV game, with or without a new stadium. Now, if they have a little sustained success, something the program never has been able to do, they might be able to turn it around. But unlike basketball, UNLV football never really has been some sort of sleeping giant. From my earliest memories, that program has been met with nothing more than apathy.

I think the new stadium will help boost attendance over the course of this season.  But that's pretty much it. 

UNLV just doesn't seem to GAF about football.   And they're getting that way in basketball too.  Other than a couple of good years, including a swt 16, they've been mediocre or worse for the better part of 30 years.  

San Jose St hired a better BB coach than UNLV did.  They are getting better recruits too.  When we have a preseason "Rank Um" thread, I think San Jo should be ranked higher than vegas. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama