Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sebasour

USMNT In The Nations League

Sloppy game but exciting as heck.  Mexico sure seemed more dangerous most of the match but the young kids from the US who I think all play overseas took the game.  Fun watch for sure.   Hard not to think the US men's team might actually be relevant on the world stage in a couple years.

On 6/3/2021 at 10:16 PM, retrofade said:

GGG needs to be fired. There's no excuse for playing that terribly. He forces players to work within his system instead of adapting the system to work with the players. 

His brother in the USSF that hired him and this win means you need to temper that for a while.  He's a sub .500 winning coach in MLS play (which is far below the level the kids he's coaching get coached daily at) but his brother is his boss.  

5 hours ago, roughrider said:

His brother in the USSF that hired him and this win means you need to temper that for a while.  He's a sub .500 winning coach in MLS play (which is far below the level the kids he's coaching get coached daily at) but his brother is his boss.  

Oh I know he's a nepotism hire. His tactics are awful, his subs are awful, he's just a terrible coach.

9 hours ago, misplacedcowboy said:

Lost in all that was a fan breaking into the tv set area and yeeting himself off the balcony also. I'm so glad I put this circus on DVR 

Yeah at the time it happened so fast I didn’t realize the guy appeared to just leap off a ledge. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

Okay, a relative newby to futbol, have been following the PL since the year that  Leicester won the championship; have never played the game myself.

The guy who played on defense on our left, on the outside, Ream. Is he a starter? Was he playing out of position? Was he playing hurt?

My observation was that he was horribly overmatched out in space. Would one of you knowledgeable types educate me as to whether we have a real problem there, or he was put there in an emergency, and things will be better down the road. 

5 hours ago, dshawfan said:

Okay, a relative newby to futbol, have been following the PL since the year that  Leicester won the championship; have never played the game myself.

The guy who played on defense on our left, on the outside, Ream. Is he a starter? Was he playing out of position? Was he playing hurt?

My observation was that he was horribly overmatched out in space. Would one of you knowledgeable types educate me as to whether we have a real problem there, or he was put there in an emergency, and things will be better down the road. 

We traditionally play with 2 center backs who defend centrally  and 2 fullbacks who defend out wide (this is referred to as a back 4). We decided to remove a midfielder from The Honduras game (Jackson Yuiell) and replace him with Tim Ream, a 3rd center back. Part of the hope was that this would allow Sergino Dest our fullback more room to get forward without having to track back as much defensively since he would have Ream covering him. 

It didn't really work, and Tim Ream was just kinda left on an island by himself, which he isn't really equipped to handle. Whether or not we'll see it happen again is a mystery. Gregg had only ever tried a back 3 once and it was a in a friendly. It was pretty surprising to see it pulled out in a final.

I would expect us to move back to a back 4 in qualifying, but who knows. As for Tim Ream's future, I'm not sure. Most fans don't like him, but Gregg Berhalter seems to see something in him that the fans don't. It is important to note that we were down 2 CB's in this game  1 of which should be healthy for qualifying

16 hours ago, dshawfan said:

His age and reduced speed was definitely exploited against Mexico. A big part of that was due to a formation change like @sebasourmentioned. The US decided to try 3 guys at the back (allowing the wingbacks on the outside to stay further forward). One weakness of this formation is a lot of times the 3 central defenders might get forced out wide and/or be isolated 1v1.

Also, Ream was kind of picked to start out of necessity, as we have 2 solid central defenders who were unavailable because of injury (Chris Richards, Aaron Long).

Another issue is that the US didn't start the game with a really good defensive midfielder in Tyler Adams, who does a good job of helping shore up any defensive gaps but was coming off an injury. The coach seems to really like Acosta as a back-up for that role, but it seems like he gives the other team to much space and time to pick apart the US defense. Once Adams came on later in the game, the US defense as a whole appeared much better.

Ream has good experience, but hopefully his days of starting are past him.

2 minutes ago, dshawfan said:

Thank you both for your feedback. So Gold Cup is next, yes? And we won’t be playing our #1s for that? Rest will be good, but don’t they need some time together to mesh better? 

With the way the WC qualifying schedule is set up this time, depth will be important too.  So the Gold Cup will allow the US to give guys playing time.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

4 minutes ago, RSF said:

With the way the WC qualifying schedule is set up this time, depth will be important too.  So the Gold Cup will allow the US to give guys playing time.

Is WC qualifying a more compacted schedule this year? If so, is that due to pandemic? 

On 6/8/2021 at 4:21 PM, dshawfan said:

I'm the same. I always get into soccer during the WC and would try to keep it going by getting into the PL afterwards but I could never get it to stick until the Leicester run and I went full in and have become a big Leicester fan and now watch the games of theirs that I can(the last two years missing out on CL on the last day of the season have been brutal). I have also never played until my friend organized a adult rec team with a bunch of us in our mid-late 30s that have never played the game before. Playing against current and former HS college players was not fun at all when you had no idea what you were doing. 

None of that has anything to do with the topic at hand but saw someone else that got into the PL during hte Leicester run made me want to post.

I am still not very good at analyzing/understanding formations and tactics and such so I appreciate all the discussion here about it.

3 hours ago, dshawfan said:

Is WC qualifying a more compacted schedule this year? If so, is that due to pandemic? 

Yes, traditionally FIFA windows are 2 matches, now they'll be 3. Qualifying will start in September and end in March. Last cycle we played our first qualifier in November of 2015 and played our last in October of 2017

On 6/9/2021 at 8:03 AM, misplacedcowboy said:

His age and reduced speed was definitely exploited against Mexico. A big part of that was due to a formation change like @sebasourmentioned. The US decided to try 3 guys at the back (allowing the wingbacks on the outside to stay further forward). One weakness of this formation is a lot of times the 3 central defenders might get forced out wide and/or be isolated 1v1.

Also, Ream was kind of picked to start out of necessity, as we have 2 solid central defenders who were unavailable because of injury (Chris Richards, Aaron Long).

Another issue is that the US didn't start the game with a really good defensive midfielder in Tyler Adams, who does a good job of helping shore up any defensive gaps but was coming off an injury. The coach seems to really like Acosta as a back-up for that role, but it seems like he gives the other team to much space and time to pick apart the US defense. Once Adams came on later in the game, the US defense as a whole appeared much better.

Ream has good experience, but hopefully his days of starting are past him.

Yeah Ream is not a good choice for that spot but Berhalter did it because he was concerned about Dest’s defense.   Let’s hope not getting Musah in the game and cap tying him doesn’t bite us in the Butt. 

29 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Yeah Ream is not a good choice for that spot but Berhalter did it because he was concerned about Dest’s defense.   Let’s hope not getting Musah in the game and cap tying him doesn’t bite us in the Butt. 

I read an article today stating Musah was in pretty bad form from not getting much playing time with Valencia. I think he will definitely be starting in the Gold Cup which should cap tie him pretty quickly. 

If he can't win the starting spot at Valencia I doubt he gets called up by England and starts in the Euros.

1 hour ago, Poisestate said:

I read an article today stating Musah was in pretty bad form from not getting much playing time with Valencia. I think he will definitely be starting in the Gold Cup which should cap tie him pretty quickly. 

If he can't win the starting spot at Valencia I doubt he gets called up by England and starts in the Euros.

Saw some twitter activity from Musah.  He's more than happy to be with the USMNT as of today.    And LaLiga is a tough nut to crack for an 18 year old.  He's got the ability to start there and will soon enough I think.   He wasn't 100% healthy and much of that was he was worn down by the early season.  He's a kid still basically.     I like his toolset, he would be a starter for the US in most situations if  if I'm coach. 

5 hours ago, Poisestate said:

Remember he can play for England, Italy and Ghana.   I will be happy when that Gold Cup whistle kicks off. 

9 hours ago, sactowndog said:

Remember he can play for England, Italy and Ghana.   I will be happy when that Gold Cup whistle kicks off. 

Hes not gonna miss his preseason in Spain  to go to The Gold Cup.

He'll get cap tied in September 

18 hours ago, Poisestate said:

He, along with nearly everyone else who played Nations League, will not be playing in the Gold Cup. That roster will be MLS guys and maybe very few European guys (Hoppe, de la Fuente,  etc.). It would be better to get our main guys rolling with their club's preseason and have them in form for the qualifiers starting in September.

27 minutes ago, dshawfan said:

So what are the requirements to "cap tie" a player?

Play in an official game.  For a US player, that would be Gold Cup, Nations League, World Cup qualifiers, and the World Cup.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.