Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sebasour

USMNT In The Nations League

They kick off against Honduras in 10 minutes on CBSSN. 

This is the first non friendly that our long touted Golden Generation will be playing. A win today likely means Mexico on Sunday night (though they have to handle Costa Rica tonight)

Really pumped to see how these guys look

Just now, thelawlorfaithful said:

What is the Nations league? I can never keep the off World Cup year national competitions straight.

A tournament that was invented to try and reduce the number of meaningless friendlies and get more competitive matches for the smaller CONCACAF teams who never make it far in qualifying.

The first round was in 2019, and it was supposed to be wrapped up last summer, but COVID pushed it. After this it's The Gold Cup in July which will be a B team, and then World Cup Qualifying starts in September 

20 minutes ago, sebasour said:

A tournament that was invented to try and reduce the number of meaningless friendlies and get more competitive matches for the smaller CONCACAF teams who never make it far in qualifying.

The first round was in 2019, and it was supposed to be wrapped up last summer, but COVID pushed it. After this it's The Gold Cup in July which will be a B team, and then World Cup Qualifying starts in September 

Is the gold cup the one where we beat Spain and blew the final to Brazil like a decade ago or is that a different tourney?

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

4 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Is the gold cup the one where we beat Spain and blew the final to Brazil like a decade ago or is that a different tourney?

No that's the now defunct Confederations Cup.  Gold Cup is just a regional tournament that is either won by The US or Mexico every year.

CONCACAF is run primarily by tiny Caribbean countries with around 100,000 people. They don't really have the talent to compete for World Cups, but these tournaments are a solid way for them to milk some cash

11 minutes ago, sebasour said:

Ooof, this has been a rough opening for our Golden Generation.

Qualifying might not be the breeze many thought it'd be

I only watched the second half. They look fast, defend on the ball well, keep possession in the midfield; but the offensive opportunities created were pretty meh until the goal. Look pretty vulnerable to counterattacks against better teams. 

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

1 minute ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

I only watched the second half. They look fast, defend on the ball well, keep possession in the midfield; but the offensive opportunities created were pretty meh until the goal. Look pretty vulnerable to counterattacks against better teams. 

Yup, we really lacked that bite in the final third.

Transition defense is a terrifying problem for this team. Tyler Adam's is arguably our 2nd best player behind Pulisic,  but he's never healthy. It's his job to provide cover for our defense on the break and it's pretty clear that we don't have backups who could fill his role.

He traveled with the team but didn't play today. I'm praying he's good to go for Mexico on Sunday

I'm less convinced we have the right coach after each game. His substitution decisions today were a total head scratcher. Sending in like-for-like defensive subs when we're chasing a goal? Taking off Reyna?

This would be an easy 3-0 win for Mexico based on how they played tonight.

35 minutes ago, sebasour said:

Yup, we really lacked that bite in the final third.

Transition defense is a terrifying problem for this team. Tyler Adam's is arguably our 2nd best player behind Pulisic,  but he's never healthy. It's his job to provide cover for our defense on the break and it's pretty clear that we don't have backups who could fill his role.

He traveled with the team but didn't play today. I'm praying he's good to go for Mexico on Sunday

I wish Long and/or Richards were healthy to let us play with a back 3. Robinson and Dest have way too many defensive liabilities and someone like Yuiell or Acosta is not going to provide enough support when those fullbacks push forward.

Also would like to see Reyna play more centrally in place of Lleget, and put someone like Weah or even Aaronson on the wing. Most of our best chances came from Reyna finding space in the middle.

GGG needs to be fired. There's no excuse for playing that terribly. He forces players to work within his system instead of adapting the system to work with the players. 

1 hour ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

No World Cup was a real detriment to a casual like me. Pulisic, Brooks, Reyna maybe (because of his dad?). Everyone else is new to me.

Pulisic and Brooks are pretty much the only ones left on the roster who would have played in the 2018 World Cup. 

Oh, and Yedlin, but he just made his way back into the squad. I think Julian Green had some call-ups in that timeframe as well, but he wasn't on the qualifying roster. 

28 minutes ago, misplacedcowboy said:

Shout out to Horvath coming in during the second half and doing an excellent Tim Howard impression.

Wikipedia has been updated with his new nickname...

IMG_20210606_224117.jpg.d9667e8228291962dc3c9d1400950359.jpg

And Mexico paid for it.