Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bornontheblue

God Bless Joe Manchin

21 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

It’s not about politics.  It’s about getting to the bottom of one of the worst incidents in our history.  Who did what and why.....

it’s about right and wrong, you either stand with what is right or you don’t.  Only the morally bankrupt think it isn’t anything but that....

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/03/politics/capitol-police-officers-exclusive-interview-january-6/index.html

US Capitol Police Sgt. Aquilino Gonell was beaten with a flagpole. His hand was sliced open. He was hit with so much chemical spray that the liquid soaked through to his skin. During intense hand-to-hand combat with rioters on the west front of the US Capitol on January 6, there were moments where Gonell thought he might die.

"They called us traitors. They beat us. They dragged us," Gonell told CNN, in his first interview about the violence he experienced and witnessed on January 6. "And I could hear them, 'We're going to shoot you. We're going to kill you. You're choosing your paycheck over the country. You're a disgrace. You're a traitor.'" 

Several hundred feet away that same day, US Capitol Police Officer Byron Evans was inside the locked Senate chamber with 100 senators and Vice President Mike Pence, hand on his weapon and mentally preparing for a life-or-death situation to come through the doors.

"I remember thinking, all that stuff like, Byron, this is the day. All those times you've given thought on what you would do, you're doing it. This is the day," Evans said.

"This could be the day that I may have to use deadly force," he said. "I had already heard of shots fired over the radio." 
Gonell and Evans are just two of the thousands of US Capitol Police officers, Metropolitan Police officers, National Guard troops and federal agents who battled violent rioters, protected lawmakers at the Capitol and rushed in to try to stop the deadly riot that unfolded at the heart of American democracy. The two officers publicly shared their experiences on January 6 for the first time with CNN, offering a window into how the law enforcement officers at the Capitol that day are still struggling to make sense of what happened, and grappling with guilt that more wasn't done to stop it.

Bud, there are more than 400 criminal investigations that have resulted in indictments. There was an impeachment. There are ongoing internal investigations. There is no mystery to solve about January 6th. It’s only about politics.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

5 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Bud, there are more than 400 criminal investigations that have resulted in indictments. There was an impeachment. There are ongoing internal investigations. There is no mystery to solve about January 6th. It’s only about politics.

Those will target the individuals.  It will not uncover at the top levels of government who did what, why and when.   The impeachment was rushed and incomplete.  

9 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Yes. But this SHOULD be about politics. We have leaders of an anti-democratic party who fanned the flames of insurrection, and continue to do so to this day. The aiders and abettors in Congress deserve to be shamed GOT style, which is why they want nothing to do with a commission. 

12 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

The Republicans don’t want a commission because they’ll look very stupid. The Democrats want a commission because Republicans will look stupid. That’s it. Not going to find a compromise there. Nobody cares but ardent partisans. Only the brain dead think it goes any further than that. 

This is true. There will be no commission. But there isn't anything wrong with this being about politics. Jan. 6 was about politics, too. And only the most partisan care because the rest have all been conditioned to be nihilists. That's not exactly a great thing either.

On 6/2/2021 at 3:25 PM, bornontheblue said:

The Democrats cannot pass any of of president Alzheimer's legislation because of him.

I quickly misread the first sentence of the OP and wondered why Manchin was against Alzheimer legislation and why Born was happy he was blocking it, seems like a dick move. Then I wondered what the president's alzhemier legislation was and why I hadn't heard about it.

Anyone else? Just me that can't read, ok.

On 6/2/2021 at 4:25 PM, bornontheblue said:

The Democrats cannot pass any of of president Alzheimer's legislation because of him. He has them by the balls, and they can't get shit done. Soon congress will shift its attention to the 2022 election and not take up time for new legislation. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/manchin-voting-rights/2021/06/02/103db892-c320-11eb-93f5-ee9558eecf4b_story.html

He will never lose an election in West Virginia. I would vote for him for President. 

The Masters 5k road race All American.

On 6/4/2021 at 11:04 AM, robe said:

He will never lose an election in West Virginia. I would vote for him for President. 

Yes he will. Manchin is screwed in 2024, and that's true even if he was voting how I wanted.

Just now, Maji said:

Yes he will. Manchin is screwed in 2024, and that's true even if he was voting how I wanted.

If Manchin is primaried by a more regressive Democrat , all it will do is ensure a New Republican senate seat. He has them by the balls , lol 

2 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

If Manchin is primaried by a more regressive Democrat , all it will do is ensure a New Republican senate seat. He has them by the balls , lol 

I'm not referring to losing a primary. I'm referring to the general election.

6 minutes ago, Maji said:

How will he lose. I don’t see it. 

He could be a blessing in disguise for the Democrats for the 2022 house races. 

10 minutes ago, Maji said:

I'm not referring to losing a primary. I'm referring to the general election.

If Manchin fears he will lose running as a Democrat , expect for  him to change party affiliation to a Republican in the next few weeks. It would be an easy move, with little risk. I’m shocked he hasn’t done it already . 

Just now, robe said:

How will he lose. I don’t see it. 

He could be a blessing in disguise for the Democrats for the 2022 house races. 

Multiple reasons. I'll keep it simple here

Nationalized politics & crumbling rates of ticket splitting. WV electorate now extremely pro-GOP. And Manchin is stuck running in a presidential election.

7 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

If Manchin fears he will lose running as a Democrat , expect for  him to change party affiliation to a Republican in the next few weeks. It would be an easy move, with little risk. I’m shocked he hasn’t done it already . 

Republicans hoped Manchin would switch for years. Those close to Manchin have repeatedly stated that Manchin wants to stay as a Democrat. He also may be fairly close to retirement.

For the sake of discussion, let's presume you're right. If Manchin's seat is inevitably going Republican, it's better to have Manchin as that Republican than someone else. Why? Because Manchin's value over replacement Senator is still positive, given WV's partisan skew. A GOP replacement would vote more conservatively

Just now, Maji said:

Multiple reasons. I'll keep it simple here

Nationalized politics & crumbling rates of ticket splitting. WV electorate now extremely pro-GOP. And Manchin is stuck running in a presidential election.

Maybe but Kansas is pretty pro Trump and we elect liberal governors all the time. I couldn’t see Kansas voting him out. He will get 25% of the Republicans to vote for him which will be enough to win. But who knows that’s just what I expect from my experience. Usually I’m right on. 

You have a point with the Presidential election though. But Biden is looking pretty good and a lot is because Manchin is helping him keep the liberals at bay. Manchin is a pain in the ass to the liberals but he might be the reason they don’t get rocked in 2022. He is also a huge reason Biden has such high ratings. American really is pretty content when there isn’t a bunch of change. I would be rate Biden’s job pretty well even though I wouldn’t vote for him. 

The best thing Biden and Schumer can do is to make Republicans filibuster every day on very popular bills.  You can pretty much pack in any legislation of any consequence getting handled until 2022 unless Democrats can build up the pressure on Joe Manchin by always showing 49 yes votes on everything.  We must now enter political posturing season instead of governing.

Marijuana Legislation, Raising Taxes on the Wealthy, Infrastructure.  Whichever state whose senator gives the 50th vote to eliminate the filibuster gets a huge payoff of pork, etc.  Joe Manchin can sweat and explain why Alaska took the package instead of West Virginia.

Put those on the floor to be filibustered every day and allow Joe Manchin to explain every day why he opposes them.  If he has 60 votes on anything of substance he should be challenged to bring them forward.  He is either an old fool who can't count or he is really just a Republican who is perpetually "concerned" like Susan Collins but who is too scared to actually do anything bold.

The best way to win 2022 is to remind American everyday how the Republicans want to move the USA to minority white rule apartheid, Jim Crow state, and how some old fools think there is some "middle ground" there.  That is kind like the "moderates" in the civil who thought a good compromise was just to make black people indentured servants rather than slaves...that seems reasonable, no?:shrug: 

Posted Image

14 minutes ago, Akkula said:

The best thing Biden and Schumer can do is to make Republicans filibuster every day on very popular bills.  You can pretty much pack in any legislation of any consequence getting handled until 2022 unless Democrats can build up the pressure on Joe Manchin by always showing 49 yes votes on everything.  We must now enter political posturing season instead of governing.

Marijuana Legislation, Raising Taxes on the Wealthy, Infrastructure.  Whichever state whose senator gives the 50th vote to eliminate the filibuster gets a huge payoff of pork, etc.  Joe Manchin can sweat and explain why Alaska took the package instead of West Virginia.

Put those on the floor to be filibustered every day and allow Joe Manchin to explain every day why he opposes them.  If he has 60 votes on anything of substance he should be challenged to bring them forward.  He is either an old fool who can't count or he is really just a Republican who is perpetually "concerned" like Susan Collins but who is too scared to actually do anything bold.

The best way to win 2022 is to remind American everyday how the Republicans want to move the USA to minority white rule apartheid, Jim Crow state, and how some old fools think there is some "middle ground" there.  That is kind like the "moderates" in the civil who thought a good compromise was just to make black people indentured servants rather than slaves...that seems reasonable, no?:shrug: 

God you are an idiot 

13 minutes ago, Maji said:

We ain't winning. I hate to be a doomer, but...

GOP is set up to win bigly in 2022, plenty of time for them to screw  that up though. If they lose it won’t be because they blocked Biden’s legislation that is for sure, that is what they are voted on to do.