Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ph90702

Tate Martell to UNR?

24 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

Hard to compete with Gorman given its resources, especially in comparison to poorly funded Nevada public schools. Nevada should do what Florida did with IMG and DQ them from state championships.

Right.... Vegas has some very good programs compared to most cities out west. It's no coincidence Las Vegas is one of the top recruiting hotspots in baseball, football, and basketball. 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

Just now, Joe from WY said:

No doubt. Great athletes across the board. But what I'm saying is, the perenially cash-strapped and ill-funded public schools themselves are in a poor position to compete with the largesse of Gorman.

For sure, but they're not that cash strapped compared to most regular high school programs. This isn't your average private vs. public school gap.  Gorman is better funded than 95% of private and public highschool programs in the country.  It's just an unfair comparison when Gorman has some of the richest families' in the country backing it. Their training facilities alone put many D1 universities to shame. UNLV included before the Fertitta's threw some cash their way when we hired their buddy. 

CCSD problems are from too many f*cking people moving here every year. It's already the got the #5 largest budget in the country--and that was before they just increased their budget by another $500 million this year  (https://www.8newsnow.com/news/local-news/historic-500-million-in-education-funding-approved-at-nevada-legislature/ ) 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

33 minutes ago, Rebels18 said:

They typically play the hardest out-of-state schedule in the country. When they won their last 'national' championship in 16/17, they beat Cedar Hill by 30 which was the #1 team in Texas, Cocoa from Florida, St. John Bosco which is another catholic school powerhouse in California, Kahuku which was like #15 in the country from Hawaii, then St. Thomas Aquinas which is the #1 football program in Florida...they had like 34 guys with D1 offers to Gorman's 10 that year. 

They won 3-straight National Championships based on who they play on a national level, not their Las Vegas highschool schedule. lol

Then after that murder's row, they played their 10 game in-state schedule of the other high schools which they beat with a combined score of 604 to 55. The closest game was against Arbor View which was 56-17. 

Has Gorman ever played De La Salle (NorCal), or Mater Dei (So Cal)?

Fight On For Dear Old San Jose State;

Fight On For Victory!

We Are With You In Every Way.

No Matter What The Price May Be!

Onward For Sparta Noble And True,

Fight Hard In Everything You Do!

And So We'll Fight! (Rah!) Win! (Rah!)

March Onward Down the Field

And We Will Win The Day!

S...J...S...U,  S-J-S-U,  San Jose State!

9 minutes ago, Old_Sparty1857 said:

Has Gorman ever played De La Salle (NorCal), or Mater Dei (So Cal)?

Many times. Mater Dei actually ended their 55-game winning streak back in 2018.--But this was the year after they lost Martell and Bubba Bolden.. Gorman actually fired Tony Sanchez's lil bro Kenny Sanchez shortly after that. 

They beat De la Salle 34-7 the same year tho. 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

20 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

No I know. I worded my statement poorly, I should have said "comparatively" in front of it. Because most public schools aren't bankrolled by rich assholes.

IMG is in the same position, so Florida just banned them from state championships. They still play some Florida teams (STA, some of the publics in Miami, and others) they just can't win anything. They're also free to go play whomever nationally. That's the way to handle it IMO.

Clearly this is the better way. They've tried in Nevada. Northern Nevada schools even suggested that they move down a level just so they wouldn't have to play Gorman anymore. It needs to be changed.

We used to beat the hell out of Gorman every year in football. And we loved doing it. But that was long before rich assholes started pouring millions into their athletic programs. It was just a school of rich assholes spending big money on tuition so their kids could get a slightly better education and a coke habit.

3 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Clearly this is the better way. They've tried in Nevada. Northern Nevada schools even suggested that they move down a level just so they wouldn't have to play Gorman anymore. It needs to be changed.

We used to beat the hell out of Gorman every year in football. And we loved doing it. But that was long before rich assholes started pouring millions into their athletic programs. It was just a school of rich assholes spending big money on tuition so their kids could get a slightly better education and a coke habit.

Slightly better is absolutely bullshit!  I went there while I had a friend going to public school.  The school was teaching out of trailers because they were two times over capacity.  In addition, they had to share books and weren’t allowed to take them home.

1 minute ago, ph90702 said:

Slightly better is absolutely bullshit!  I went there while I had a friend going to public school.  The school was teaching out of trailers because the school was two times over capacity.  In addition, they had to share books and weren’t allowed to take them home.

Cool story. Did your friend go to public school in 1993? Anyway, public schools in Vegas are shit, and only getting worse. But Gorman is shit, too. I loved going to school with them in college. They’d help the bell curve and could afford the best weed.

On 6/8/2021 at 12:51 PM, Old_Sparty1857 said:

Nevada HS football is literally Gorman and nobody else.  Do they ever have any competition?

Liberty, they actually beat Gorman to win state in football 

10 minutes ago, Gator 82 said:

Liberty, they actually beat Gorman to win state in football 

Clark should have beat them in hoops a couple of years ago, too. 

2 hours ago, NVGiant said:

Cool story. Did your friend go to public school in 1993? Anyway, public schools in Vegas are shit, and only getting worse. But Gorman is shit, too. I loved going to school with them in college. They’d help the bell curve and could afford the best weed.

Gorman isn’t shit.  That’s just your jealousy kicking in.  I graduated HS in 2008.

28 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

Gorman isn’t shit.  That’s just your jealousy kicking in.  I graduated HS in 2008.

Well, the coke at Gorman is definitely better.

I just experienced Vegas HS sports in all its glory for the “state” baseball tournament. A recruiting service (PBR) sponsored it because the NIAA wouldn’t. So for legal reasons it was actually travel clubs from the top 5 programs in Vegas and the top 3 in Northern Nevada who all agreed that the kids who played this year would be rewarded for their commitment to this season.  Suffice it to say, Basic won the “state” title.

But to win, instead of playing this years HS club, Basic used players that graduated last year. It included 2 kids who were ineligible because apparently there was a massive brawl at a game down there and they were involved. And at least one who was ineligible because of grades the entire season. 😂😂

HS sports have jumped the shark… in fact the entire ocean. I’d be all for Northern Nevada ditching the 5A experiment and all go 3A across the board. To sit back and watch that clown show of coaches who have nothing to do with the schools and watch the infighting, near fighting, and hatred of each other AND the schools from the north which have nothing to do with the vitriol was truly something to behold.

Vegas has some really, really good players… btw. And some really bad people leading them.