Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Aztecjeff

Aztec Stadium starting to take shape

10 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

You have my respect for following softball and baseball though...I played myself and even I can't bring myself to do more than check the scores. 

Our softball coach got canceled and the program is in full on meltdown mode. We  forfeited two consecutive series this season, not due covid, but due to player conduct. Hard times for ole kuz rn.

Back to haters, now would be a good time for this hater to reluctantly congratulate you guys on the new stadium. I was one of the haters boisterously hoping you'd never get it done. I guess i could double down and hate on the way the school got it done. But at the end it doesn't matter how the check gets in the mail, as long as it gets there.

ezgif-5-959914ff2250.gif.f0cc4fc558f5a154dc6ff5904c80bf34.gif

11 minutes ago, Maynard Delecto said:

Our softball coach got canceled and the program is in full on meltdown mode. We  forfeited two consecutive series this season, not due covid, but due to player conduct. Hard times for ole kuz rn.

Back to haters, now would be a good time for this hater to reluctantly congratulate you guys on the new stadium. I was one of the haters boisterously hoping you'd never get it done. I guess i could double down and hate on the way the school got it done. But at the end it doesn't matter how the check gets in the mail, as long as it gets there.

Same to you and your FB stadium reno...I wasnt a hater but I def wondered if anything would ever happen. Looks like you guys are on track however. When will those visitor side stands be redone?

16 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

Same to you and your FB stadium reno...I wasnt a hater but I def wondered if anything would ever happen. Looks like you guys are on track however. When will those visitor side stands be redone?

There aren't any plans for a visitor stand right now. They're devoting a good chunk of that space to a really ambitious building that would house facililites that are desperately lacking/not up to snuff. The seating capacity seems to be one of those bridges that'll be crossed if football can develop demand.

As far as completion, you can keep wondering. I know I am. Our now former A.D. just got canceled, er, um "reassigned" as well.

Edit: part of the new building would serve as luxury box style accommodations on gamedays.

12 minutes ago, Maynard Delecto said:

There aren't any plans for a visitor stand right now. They're devoting a good chunk of that space to a really ambitious building that would house facililites that are desperately lacking/not up to snuff. The seating capacity seems to be one of those bridges that'll be crossed if football can develop demand.

As far as completion, you can keep wondering. I know I am. Our now former A.D. just got canceled, er, um "reassigned" as well.

Edit: part of the new building would serve as luxury box style accommodations on gamedays.

Weird. I thought SJSU was building visitor side stands with a new Athletic Center? Is that still the plan, just no timetable or funding yet huh?

5 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

Weird. I thought SJSU was building visitor side stands with a new Athletic Center? Is that still the plan, just no timetable or funding yet huh?

The answer is still pretty much "No". There are plans that have gone through the approval process. They include a building with seats in them. Some of those seats will have a view of the field, and will double as luxury seating on gamedays. But that's all for rn.

If a spectator wants to watch the game from the East side, there are three choices with the current plan: pay for a luxury box in the new building, sit directly on the berm ( if it's allowed), or standing on the concourse level.

It’s a strange plan that was ok’d by the CSU. The Spartan Athletic Complex is being built without outside seating on the east side to start. There is room for 5000 seats below the complex but that will need separate fundraising. At the start that area will be a grass berm for seating (believe me Spartan fans are scratching their heads at this). 

Bottom line, all the money SJSU could put toward this project is going into the building right now.  That’s near $60 million.  The cool thing is the building is super versatile, changing on game day. 

https://onespartannation.com/transform/spartan-athletics-center/index.html

Fight On For Dear Old San Jose State;

Fight On For Victory!

We Are With You In Every Way.

No Matter What The Price May Be!

Onward For Sparta Noble And True,

Fight Hard In Everything You Do!

And So We'll Fight! (Rah!) Win! (Rah!)

March Onward Down the Field

And We Will Win The Day!

S...J...S...U,  S-J-S-U,  San Jose State!

Meanwhile, in a manner apparently designed to have the fewest possible people notice, the Aztec Warrior is now officially dead (gotta click on June 4 and then read closely under "Our Past, Our Future"):

https://president.sdsu.edu/from-the-president/statements

Note that she refers to the Aztec Warrior as the "spirit leader." Nobody but nobody among the fan base has ever called it that.

1 hour ago, 818SUDSFan said:

Meanwhile, in a manner apparently designed to have the fewest possible people notice, the Aztec Warrior is now officially dead (gotta click on June 4 and then read closely under "Our Past, Our Future"):

Note that she refers to the Aztec Warrior as the "spirit leader." Nobody but nobody among the fan base has ever called it that.

Saw that.  So still Aztecs, but no live representation?  And SD tribes provide input on Aztec discussions?  What are we doing here?  :facepalm:

5 hours ago, 818SUDSFan said:

The Aztec Identity Education Committee? 

Ohhh brother.....

Fight On For Dear Old San Jose State;

Fight On For Victory!

We Are With You In Every Way.

No Matter What The Price May Be!

Onward For Sparta Noble And True,

Fight Hard In Everything You Do!

And So We'll Fight! (Rah!) Win! (Rah!)

March Onward Down the Field

And We Will Win The Day!

S...J...S...U,  S-J-S-U,  San Jose State!

On 6/4/2021 at 2:22 PM, Maynard Delecto said:

not to have you dredge up what seem to be bad memories, but what did softball players do for 'bad conduct".......softball is not exactly the sport one thinks of when they think of player conduct issues

and by "canceled" I assume the coach has been fired.....and by "full meltdown" is that players quitting and transferring or revolting because they want the fired coach back

if what it seems like is correct it is terrible to see female players acting like male players especially since getting a degree for pretty much all of them should e the goal since there are few if any meaningful womens pro leagues.....really getting the degree should be the goal for male players also since the vast majority will never sniff the pros in anything, but you can't tell a lot of fools that 

that SJSU stajium sounds like a bad idea at first, but the way the associate AD sold it in the video I watched was really good...I liked the fact he just straight up said "opposing fans can bake in the sun eat it"

I have thought a lot of programs (UTEP and Rice are two of them) could do a hell of a lot with nice grassy areas in the end zones and have them in levels so families can put down blankets and stake out spots and let the kids run wild a bit.....I thought done right there could even be some BBQ grills or other things to cook with....I don't think that part would work for SJSU in the prime space, but if they sell it right I think the grassy area will have appeal.....the key is getting people there to kick it off and having people see the kids running around and people with actual space to relax and then others will follow

it is long past time that SJSU got better than what they had....and not taking a dig at all at SJSU, but I think the reality is spending a ton of money on seats on that one side and possibly having to take away from the larger facility would be a mistake.....the other side of the stands look good and the sight lines are just fine and as of now there is plenty of space for all the fans that SJSU has been attracting so no need to waste money on more seats......and if it gets to the point where those stands are filling up well then SJSU will probably have the ticket money and probably the donor money to quickly get seats on that other side and maybe do something to mitigate the sun and sell those premium seats to their own fans and move the visitors elsewhere

the video I watched sure sold the idea well to me and the guy talking on it had the attitude to make it work it sounded like to me....."He's Ass My Dude" had a hell of a season last year and has really developed after getting away from A&M and the coach seems to have what it takes......7-1 would be a hell of a season for SJSU of late no matter what and with all the other BS last year it was an incredible season.......beating AU in the bowl game would have really topped it off, but hey grown human steps first

looking forward to trying to stream some SJSU games this year for sure

as to the real topic SDSU really found gold with their stajium and what they are getting that will be a really great thing for them athletically and academically

YOU WANT TRADITION? WELL......HERE 'TIS......The University of North Texas has football wins over: Texas Tech U......Rice U......Baylor U......TCU......SMU......Houston......Oklahoma State......San Diego St.......Kansas State......Arizona State.......Colorado State......Brigham Young......Oregon State......Florida......Indiana......Tennessee (a 6 & 5 SEC team & still our biggest win in school history)......Boise State......Louisville......Cincinatti (our last match-up with UC was a UNT bowl win), plus FOUR (4) NCAA FBS level Bowl Games (one while having a losing season record) in this millennium's 1'st decade while North Texas has had ONE NCAA Division 1 Top 20 ranking.

The North Texas Mean Green Village (located between 2 Texas interstates & which a recent TxDOT study said 200,000 vehicles drive by it daily) is a multi-acre olympic style village of athletc venues*dorms*computer study centers, etc, topped off with what GIL BRANDT: The Father of Modern NFL Scouting who described UNT's Apogee Stadium as a "Tah Mahal of a College Football Stadium" with Brandt adding... 'and I've seen every NCAA D1 FB stadium in the USA." All this along with UNT's fabulous 10,000 seat Super Pit--the Best & Largest on-campus college basketball venue in the D-FW Metroplex......AND THREE PONDS AND A BRIDGE!!!!!

This signature is the sole property of Someone and any use of this signature without express written consent of Someone is strictly forbiden by penalty of law

Thought you guys might want to see the steel going up.  Snapped this today.

image.jpeg.4064b40f2f908cacc36d774f08795c90.jpeg

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

2 hours ago, SDSUfan said:

Thought you guys might want to see the steel going up.  Snapped this today.

image.jpeg.4064b40f2f908cacc36d774f08795c90.jpeg

About time.  Where's that construction cam thing y'all had going earlier.

10 hours ago, Utefan1211 said:

The stadium will be a nice addition.  I was hoping they would make it a little larger to host more bowl games. 

It can be expanded to temporarily to 40k - enough for a Holiday type Bowl. 

On 6/22/2021 at 7:36 AM, RebelRobert said:

Thanks, Rob.

I'm really, really glad we're getting this thing done now. California is becoming so "progressive" it's very much within the realm of possibility that a time will come when the state legislature seriously considers a law forbidding public universities and colleges from building football stadiums.*

The way things have been going in Sacramento, that time could come as early as the 2030s.

* "Stadiums are a waste of taxpayer money because the sport causes too many injuries to participants, because on-the-field violence causes violence elsewhere, because football cheerleading is misogynistic, etc.; so either transition to coed flag football or drop the sport!"