Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RebelAlliance

Sandoval Says UNR to the AAU?????

4 hours ago, RebelAlliance said:

As someone pointed out above, you can't be merely slightly better than the lowest ranked AAU member to get in.  Utah proved that point, as will the other Wolfpack when they get in.  You probably need to be in the middle third of public universities to get an invite.  UNR is far, far (really +++++ing far) behind the worst current public members.  Hell, Georgia Tech--despite their incredible strengths--was kept out for decades because it was felt that they were too one-dimensional and didn't have the requisite strengths in the core arts and sciences.  How are UNR's history, astronomy and economics departments these days?  

We don't hate you because we ain't you.  We hate you because we don't want to become you: a stagnant, lowly ranked, essentially open-admission inter-mountain university.  True, we're the same thing right now (minus the stagnant part), but we're fifty years old....not one hundred and fifty years old.  We're a work in progress with shiny new law and medical schools in the fastest growing metropolitan region in the country. 

There is no established century old flagship in Nevada, no Berkeley...no Texas...no Wisconsin or Washington.  If there were, they would have established the names as "The University of Nevada" and The University of Nevada at Las Vegas."  Nope, it was "Nevada, Reno" and "Nevada, Las Vegas."  The foaming at the mouth responses here are really a function of me rupturing the balloon of delusion within which UNR honks operate.  That they're some under appreciated UC/Big Ten level academic institution.

I'm sure that most of UNR's faculty rolled their eyes at Sandoval's boast.  I'm sure that he's been told that his "goal" is completely unrealistic.  I'm sure he's been informed that publicly boasting about his AAU goal is, in itself, frowned upon by the AAU.  And I'm sure that Sandoval shrugged it all off because he's a politician doing what politicians do: lying to whip up his base, making completely insincere promises and knowing full well that he'll be down the road when those unkept goals turn into dust.

Nobody liked the name Nevada Southern so the students voted to change the name to Nevada State but at a winter meeting with nobody from the North present the Regents (10 of the 13 are from the South) changed the names to

Nevada Las Vegas & Nevada Reno.  

After being Nevada for 75 years we woke up one morning with a new name.  Once again Southern paranoia at being the lesser was exposed.

The UNLV medical school is an interesting case.  Nevada had a medical school for 50 years with facilities in the rural areas & in Las Vegas.  Instead of building up the existing State medical school UNLV needed their own.

The argument was that Las Vegas was the biggest metropolitan area without a medical school.  However, how many States with Nevada's small population have or need 2 medical schools?  I guess it's expected that the

South would always look out for it's best interests but I can't imagine any other State has a South vs North situation any worse then Nevada,    

6 hours ago, RebelAlliance said:

As someone pointed out above, you can't be merely slightly better than the lowest ranked AAU member to get in.  Utah proved that point, as will the other Wolfpack when they get in.  You probably need to be in the middle third of public universities to get an invite.  UNR is far, far (really +++++ing far) behind the worst current public members.  Hell, Georgia Tech--despite their incredible strengths--was kept out for decades because it was felt that they were too one-dimensional and didn't have the requisite strengths in the core arts and sciences.  How are UNR's history, astronomy and economics departments these days?  

We don't hate you because we ain't you.  We hate you because we don't want to become you: a stagnant, lowly ranked, essentially open-admission inter-mountain university.  True, we're the same thing right now (minus the stagnant part), but we're fifty years old....not one hundred and fifty years old.  We're a work in progress with shiny new law and medical schools in the fastest growing metropolitan region in the country. 

There is no established century old flagship in Nevada, no Berkeley...no Texas...no Wisconsin or Washington.  If there were, they would have established the names as "The University of Nevada" and The University of Nevada at Las Vegas."  Nope, it was "Nevada, Reno" and "Nevada, Las Vegas."  The foaming at the mouth responses here are really a function of me rupturing the balloon of delusion within which UNR honks operate.  That they're some under appreciated UC/Big Ten level academic institution.

I'm sure that most of UNR's faculty rolled their eyes at Sandoval's boast.  I'm sure that he's been told that his "goal" is completely unrealistic.  I'm sure he's been informed that publicly boasting about his AAU goal is, in itself, frowned upon by the AAU.  And I'm sure that Sandoval shrugged it all off because he's a politician doing what politicians do: lying to whip up his base, making completely insincere promises and knowing full well that he'll be down the road when those unkept goals turn into dust.

How much sleep have you lost due to Nevada setting  academic goals? 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

8 hours ago, RebelAlliance said:

You’re still going on about this? Good God Karen. 

On 5/24/2021 at 11:20 AM, wolfan8431 said:

It's never going to happen.  Too far a reach plus UNLV is so paranoid that Nevada would get further ahead that the South will do everything it can, funding etc., to stop it.

If you're going to go there, as I skimmed through this thread I felt that Reno was getting nervous about UNLV's gains upon them, and Sandoval needed to promote a goal that would create a bit of separation. With that said, earlier in this thread I said that all universities should have this goal, and most of them likely do.

6 hours ago, wolfan8431 said:

The UNLV medical school is an interesting case.  Nevada had a medical school for 50 years with facilities in the rural areas & in Las Vegas.  Instead of building up the existing State medical school UNLV needed their own.

The argument was that Las Vegas was the biggest metropolitan area without a medical school.  However, how many States with Nevada's small population have or need 2 medical schools?  I guess it's expected that the

South would always look out for it's best interests but I can't imagine any other State has a South vs North situation any worse then Nevada,    

To be honest, our state could easily be considered two states, with the north and south as separated as they are. The two medical schools are almost 500 miles apart with very little in between, and to only have one up north just doesn't serve southern Nevada well. But I get that Reno wasn't happy about UNLV getting a lot of your professors.

4 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

If you're going to go there, as I skimmed through this thread I felt that Reno was getting nervous about UNLV's gains upon them, and Sandoval needed to promote a goal that would create a bit of separation. With that said, earlier in this thread I said that all universities should have this goal, and most of them likely do.

To be honest, our state could easily be considered two states, with the north and south as separated as they are. The two medical schools are almost 500 miles apart with very little in between, and to only have one up north just doesn't serve southern Nevada well. But I get that Reno wasn't happy about UNLV getting a lot of your professors.

Plus giving your med students free tuition but we're still here & doing just fine.  BTW, the Nevada State Health Lab is still on the Reno campus 500 miles away & they've certainly been busy all over the State with Covid.    

40 minutes ago, wolfan8431 said:

Plus giving your med students free tuition but we're still here & doing just fine.  BTW, the Nevada State Health Lab is still on the Reno campus 500 miles away & they've certainly been busy all over the State with Covid.    

That's good, no one is saying it shouldn't be there. I'm all for UNR doing as much as they have done, I'm just saying that there is certainly room for two medical schools in Nevada, we are not like a lot of other states where there could be a dozen in an area the size of Nevada.

And I believe the only class to get free tuition was the first class?

I’ve seen this conversation elsewhere regarding other places and I believe the same holds true regarding the schools here and that is aau is not meant to be attainable for the schools not already in it.  It’s pretty much elucidated in their mission which focuses on a small cadre of schools, and keeping it that way.  They will continually move the goalposts to keep it small and with all due respect to the state schools of Nevada they aren’t changing their ways for them.  In fact, some state legislatures have acknowledged this and created their own organizations in response-even if some of their schools are privileged enough to be part of the aau already.  The perfect example of Florida and their relatively new Preeminence designation. The aau standards are still a worthy goal to shoot for of course.

10 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

If you're going to go there, as I skimmed through this thread I felt that Reno was getting nervous about UNLV's gains upon them, and Sandoval needed to promote a goal that would create a bit of separation.

Create the "illusion" of separation between them.  I've posted the actual stats in SAT scores, endowment and acceptance rates.  There's a slight statistical difference but no real world difference.  Give our med school ten years to get up and running, and we'll overtake them in research funding.  Give our law school twenty years to start pumping graduates into the state legislature, and we'll make them our ball-gagged in the back of the van bitch politically.  They know that.  Sandoval knows that.  And that, my friends, is why he's desperately pimping the hopium that they're some borderline AAU school.  I'm just here to point out that they're not, never have been and never will be.

They can set all the goals they want.  Hell, Brian can start talking about getting into the Ivy League for all I care.  It's all the desperate delusions of a stagnant wanna-be but never was university about to get lapped by "little brother."

5 hours ago, RebelAlliance said:

Create the "illusion" of separation between them.  I've posted the actual stats in SAT scores, endowment and acceptance rates.  There's a slight statistical difference but no real world difference.  Give our med school ten years to get up and running, and we'll overtake them in research funding.  Give our law school twenty years to start pumping graduates into the state legislature, and we'll make them our ball-gagged in the back of the van bitch politically.  They know that.  Sandoval knows that.  And that, my friends, is why he's desperately pimping the hopium that they're some borderline AAU school.  I'm just here to point out that they're not, never have been and never will be.

They can set all the goals they want.  Hell, Brian can start talking about getting into the Ivy League for all I care.  It's all the desperate delusions of a stagnant wanna-be but never was university about to get lapped by "little brother."

Your probably right.  The South has 2/3 of the population, 75% of the money, 10 of the 13 regents & has controlled the legislature for 60 years plus a very strong bias against the North.  It's easy to understand why the

North resents the South but why on earth does the South dislike Nevada & the North so much?  You already have everything going for you, why the paranoia?      

7 hours ago, RebelAlliance said:

This is quite the quest you are on.. You should know. .. This is just a goal and Nevada first started pursuing the goal before you were born, UNLV was born and Sandoval was born.. UNR was the only university in Nevada for close to 100 years..The AAU was created in 1900.  You are certainly entitled to express your opinion and your hate of UNR.  That is cool..But it is also wildly irrelevant.  

You are a really determined and energetic, if, sadly, a one trick pony.  Now that you have chosen to beat said pony to death, I was wondering if you might come up something else to talk about.

There are thousands of ways to rip other schools..

On 5/29/2021 at 4:47 AM, RebelAlliance said:

It's clear that your goal is for UNLV to surpass Nevada.  Wouldn't it be better for the State if your goal was for both Universities to do well?  

3 hours ago, wolfan8431 said:

Your probably right.  The South has 2/3 of the population, 75% of the money, 10 of the 13 regents & has controlled the legislature for 60 years plus a very strong bias against the North.  It's easy to understand why the

North resents the South but why on earth does the South dislike Nevada & the North so much?  You already have everything going for you, why the paranoia?      

That Illusion of separation... has existed for 50 years for a reason. That illusion drives Vegas people nuts. And you and the David Damore’s of the world have tried to explain it away that entire time. As long as Vegas’ best degree includes beverage classes UNR will be fine. 

On 5/29/2021 at 6:34 PM, 4UNLV said:

Vegas got the clinical faculty already in Vegas. What’s UNR going to need clinical faculty in Vegas for. Vegas already has Tuoro DO school. Spin it however you guys want but the UNLV med school is all about perceived prestige. Having a med school has far less to do with physician recruitment and retention than residency programs which Vegas already had the majority in the state. All the new school does is duplicate expensive services and expend limited resources. But that’s ok. As people have pointed out, it’s good to have strong schools in the 2 metro areas. It’s not a zero sum game. 

1 hour ago, NMpackalum said:

Vegas got the clinical faculty already in Vegas. What’s UNR going to need clinical faculty in Vegas for. Vegas already has Tuoro DO school. Spin it however you guys want but the UNLV med school is all about perceived prestige. Having a med school has far less to do with physician recruitment and retention than residency programs which Vegas already had the majority in the state. All the new school does is duplicate expensive services and expend limited resources. But that’s ok. As people have pointed out, it’s good to have strong schools in the 2 metro areas. It’s not a zero sum game. 

I never said Reno needed clinical faculty in Vegas for anything. You're kind of proving my point, thanks.

UNLV just graduated their first class. Congrats to them, we've had a shortage of physicians here in Vegas for a long time. Maybe in a few years we won't have to wait 2 months for an appointment

6 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

I never said Reno needed clinical faculty in Vegas for anything. You're kind of proving my point, thanks.

UNLV just graduated their first class. Congrats to them, we've had a shortage of physicians here in Vegas for a long time. Maybe in a few years we won't have to wait 2 months for an appointment

You said Reno was upset that Vegas faculty were lost. Not really since there is no place for them in a UNR school of med. I don't know what point I was making for you. 

Vegas would have had new docs in town now if the investments were made in new residency slots rather than a bricks and mortar med school. The majority of the new grads will start practice at the cities where they do their postgrad training. Factors such as the residency location, medical malpractice environment and economic incentive such as loan repayment are much stronger drivers of practice location than med school location. Even spousal happiness ranks higher than school location. Just growing up in Vegas has a higher influence in practice location than going to med school there.  Unfortunately, Nevada has a poor medical legal environment with uncapped awards and no medico-legal review panel. Economically, managed care influence has Vegas in a bind as reimbursement is poor compared to many places. I suppose, favoring married students for admission might garner a couple of more docs per year. 

Unfortunately, you and everyone else in Vegas, as well as everywhere will still be waiting months for an appointment. Access to health care will continue to diminish as old doctors retire and new doctors increasingly do shift work. If you've been hospitalized recently, you'll know what I mean with rotating hospitalists that might change your management from day to day.  The professional changes caused by Obamacare and medicaid expansion has made private practice unsustainable so doctors, especially new grads will be employed by large hospital/medical system sponsored medical groups. It's been estimated that it takes 2.4 new doctors to replace a retiring private practice physician. There is no incentive to work harder when you are under salary. As a private physician, If there is a patient with an urgent problem, I can overbook rather than send her off to the ER and the resulting $1200 ED visit. No such flexibility with the evolving system. Imagine this on steroids under a single payer system, not that we can afford anything else in the near future.

It's over UNR.  UNR had a century as the only university, public or private, in the entire state of Nevada.  And what did they give the state?  A lowly ranked, open-admission safety school.  Well, there's a new sheriff in the state, and his name is UNLV.  He may not be UC-ready right now, but he has recent history, demographics and politics on his side.  UNR has a century and a half of doing nothing and a former Governor pumping delusional sunshine up its almuni's asses.  I'll take UNLV's hand.

On 5/21/2021 at 10:35 AM, RebelAlliance said:

The difference is that UNLV people have a realistic image of their school. 

18 minutes ago, RebelAlliance said:

It's over UNR.  UNR had a century as the only university, public or private, in the entire state of Nevada.  And what did they give the state?  A lowly ranked, open-admission safety school.  Well, there's a new sheriff in the state, and his name is UNLV.  He may not be UC-ready right now, but he has recent history, demographics and politics on his side.  UNR has a century and a half of doing nothing and a former Governor pumping delusional sunshine up its almuni's asses.  I'll take UNLV's hand.

season 2 lol GIF