Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RebelAlliance

Sandoval Says UNR to the AAU?????

2 minutes ago, RebelAlliance said:

Middle 50% SAT scores: 

UNR 1070-1290

UNLV 1030-1250 

SJSU 1020-1260

Do you want a tallest midget ribbon? 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

On 5/21/2021 at 1:09 PM, Rebels18 said:

hey, there are valets and doormen in Vegas that make way more than you wagie peasants per year

It's true. My plumber gets more from a diagnostic visit for a leaky sink ($248) than I get for a Medicaid/care ($66.80/$97) moderately complex visit. I went to formerly U of Nevada School of Medicine and an AAU affiliated residency. I should have youtubed it but parts are unavailable these days. That's about how far an AAU affiliated school gets you these days.

1 hour ago, NMpackalum said:

It's true. My plumber gets more from a diagnostic visit for a leaky sink ($248) than I get for a Medicaid/care ($66.80/$97) moderately complex visit. I went to formerly U of Nevada School of Medicine and an AAU affiliated residency. I should have youtubed it but parts are unavailable these days. That's about how far an AAU affiliated school gets you these days.

99213?

33 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Hey. That’s our ribbon!

Unr vs unlv academic smack talk is like a smarter version of fresno/sjsu academic smack talk. I love it.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

On 5/21/2021 at 5:23 PM, RebelAlliance said:

As usual, the UNR crowd inevitably devolves into "wanna be" academic smack about UNLV.  Again, UNR is, by most metrics a very, very slightly better university than UNLV.  That doesn't mean that it being invited into the AAU is anything but laughable.  

Here's what I've noticed in the responses.  In all the UNLV smack, I have yet to read one intelligent reply outlining why UNR has a chance in hell of getting into the AAU.  By the way, the more I read that link in my original post, it does appear that that the "Wolfpack" might be the next one in.....which means probably in the next ten years....and that's the one in North Carolina. 

Come on, Wolf Pack.  Use that vaunted UC level education and actually explain to me why you're anywhere close to AAU level....rather than the actual reality is that you are essentially a hundred year older version of UNLV.

Even if it is.   Given the benefits to the state of that kind of research, why would you oppose setting that as a long term goal?  I would be more concerned if he didn’t have a goal for improvement.   It’s not like Reno and Tahoe area isn’t becoming a second home for wealthy Bay Area techies.   

On 5/23/2021 at 11:37 AM, Someone said:

anyone that takes a shot at Iowa State really does not know that much about higher education

they built the first binary computer, they were the first designated land grant university in the USA, they were a major contributor to The Manhattan Project, and they have a major federal research lab on campus 

prior to The Carnegie Foundation handing off their classification system to The University of Illinois their FAQ page made it very clear they were classifications not rankings and they were not to be used as rankings and the various classifications meant absolutely nothing in terms of academic quality nor were they a comparison of the quality of education and they were not even a metric to judge the quality of the research conducted by the various schools.....they also had a section that made it very clear that they stopped using the Roman Numerals their classification specifically because so many universities were trying to use the classifications as rankings when there was never any intention of them being used that way so their is no "tier 1" that is made up nonsense by academic types that should know better and that are being intellectually dishonest

it looks as though the FAQs have now been put back up one can see what they say here

https://carnegieclassifications.iu.edu/2010/resources/faqs.php

as to the AAU one need only look at the metrics of the last two public universities that were admitted to get a general idea of what it might take....Georgia Tech and Utah

but unlike what many think and what some intellectually dishonest academic administrations like to sell (this is NOT directed at the administration of Nevada) the AAU does not simply look at gross metrics nor do they admit members based on "got to this level in each criteria"

they normalize the data to match various types of universities so as an example Rice University with no medical school and a small student body (and a relatively small faculty count even with a low student to faculty ratio) is not compared directly to a school like UCLA that has a medical school, that is a public university, and that has a much larger student body and faculty count

the AAU also looks at the type of research conducted and they place emphasis on life sciences and some other STEM fields

they look at competitively awarded research and they do not include "statutory research" which is money that is handed off to a university for being a land grant university (as an example)....Nebraska tried to use this as an argument of being treated unfairly, but a very large % of the universities in the AAU are land grant schools and they all have their statutory research dollars taken out of the equation....Nebraska also tried to use the "no medical school" argument, but the facts are the Nebraska System could have merged their medical school into UNL, but for the entire decade they were being told by the AAU to improve or face expulsion they never did.....because they knew full well that having a medical school would change who they were evaluated against and their medical school was not a research powerhouse and thus would probably be a hindrance not a help

the AAU also looks at other factors such as the "mission" of the university....many people were critical of Nebraska as a member for a long time because Nebraska does not have admissions standards that are difficult at all in fact they are pretty low.....but the fact that they are the one major research university in a small state and thus they have a mission to serve a very large % of the college bound students in that state plays a factor....all the more so when they are really not all that large for a public university

this in contrast to say Texas with 30+ public universities or California with 28+ (I think it is above that by a bit) and large populations.....some of their public universities have the ability to set much higher admissions standards and to exclude many students because there are a very large number of other state schools to serve the needs of many students

same with private schools....private schools have the ability to be exclusive all the more so in a place like the north east where there are tons of private schools that are well established and that have large endowments......thus the reason that private school members of the AAU are compared to each other (and medical school or not ect) and they are compared to non-AAU private schools

same with public universities....what need they serve for the state, med school or not, faculty count, and comparison to similar public universities with similar missions

so the AAU is not just about getting to X amount of research dollars and then getting, Y admissions metrics for freshman, and hiring in Z number of national academy members 

of course all those things help, but there are many more factors as well

in the past there was an article that interviewed the president of Georgia Tech at the time (prior to being an AAU member) and it was asking him about the AAU and he stated that he got the question a lot about why GT was not in the AAU and he made it clear that he knew the AAU frowned upon universities making public their aspirations about being in the AAU and that he would of course love for that to happen, but he was concentrating on what he could control and doing the best to make GT the best it could be....I think it was 4 or 5 years after that when they were finally invited

the reason they frown on that is specifically because they are not interested in university administrations getting a spread sheet together and going out there publicly and saying "here are the AAU members with the lowest metrics in all these various categories and we are above the lowest in all of them so we are just like AAU schools or we are looking to now get in the AAU"

because of course there is a vast difference between a public school with an enrollment of 48,000 and a faculty count of 2,800 in a state with 30+ public universities and a public university with an enrollment of 26,000 and a faculty count of 1.900.....900 additional faculty members can do a lot of research, but if you normalize that research per faculty member you might find a difference of $40,000 in research per faculty member and then if you start to look at the national and global impact of the research you might find a large difference as well.....and if the school with 26,000 students is in a state with only 3 public universities or 4 then it is much harder for them to set extremely high admissions metrics

so the AAU is not interested in and frowns upon a school that ignores the way they evaluate schools or one that thinks they can just keep hiring national academy members here and there while producing few of their own or ignoring the low research productivity of a large number of their other faculty and one that just thinks if they get above the members with the lowest metrics in each category they are suddenly a candidate for admission and they should start talking about that at all their alumni events and putting up the metrics

as far as Nevada goes it is nice to have goals, but with a medical school they probably need to bump up their total research a great deal and they need to be a power in the life sciences and they need to have faculty already on staff getting into The National Academics

the good news is freshman metrics will not be as big a factor because of being one of only 2 major universities in the state and one of only 4 public 4 year universities in the state

they have some strong engineering programs, but mainly in mining and civil areas that the AAU is not about as much

it will take a hell of a lot of private dollars and probably a lot more state support to make it happen, but who knows if someone drops $250 million similar well that could go a long way if it is in the right focus area....but that would probably only be a start

if one wants to see what it takes to "keep up" Oregon is a good example.....Oregon has ZERO engineering degrees and no medical school....The State of Oregon does have WAY TOO MANY public universities though so Oregon can keep their admissions up

but with no engineering and no medical school well those are the two largest generators of research dollars....the 2019 HERD survey has them with $110 million in total research which is $42 million below Nevada and not much ahead of UNLV

this is of course why The Knights gave $500 million over a few years for Oregon to build a new life sciences research facility that I think will come in at about $1 billion in total expenditures

because other than merging the medical school (probably not politically possible) or merging the Oregon Poly or starting new engineering degree programs and ramping up their research (probably not financially possible) well Oregon is limited on where they can boost their research and life sciences is popular with the AAU as it is

I am not sure what level of concern Oregon has about their AAU membership, but I would imagine they have some and I know that one of the newer PAC 12 members and one of the newer SEC members (that both left the same former conference) have done some studies on their universities and AAU membership and for one of them state funding of universities in general.....and both concluded there is work to be done and money needed to be found

one of them is below Nebraska in total research and they have a medical school and a vet school (that often contribute to life sciences research and that UNL does not have) and their total research is not that impressive....they are also a land grant so some of their research is statutory and thus not a criteria for AAU.....and they have plenty of public universities in their state.....the other one has a large research profile and pretty good overall metrics especially for no medical school and pretty good freshman stats....but they have a lot of underfunded public schools in the state and that was a concern in the report....I think they are getting some good out of state enrollment though so that helps them overall

who knows what changes the AAU might or might not make, but there are a lot of schools that would be looked at before Nevada, but again goals are nice and if someone dropped the right amount of money in the right areas things can change

So I did read it.... and yes it’s a long term goal but Reno does have some advantages in terms of transplants from the Bay Area.   They need to focus on more basic research for sure and it’s a long shot but not impossible.

Nobody is saying that UNR shouldn't continue to grow and improve, continue to add research funding or build up the core arts & sciences departments.  It's just that saying AAU membership is a realistic ten year goal is somewhat ridiculous given where they stand currently, how many other public non-member universities are far ahead of them by AAU metrics combined with how rarely the AAU adds new members.  

1 hour ago, smltwnrckr said:

Unr vs unlv academic smack talk is like a smarter version of fresno/sjsu academic smack talk. I love it.

Harvard-Yale it is not.

42 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Harvard-Yale it is not.

You'd be surprised how dumb, uninspired and uncreative ivy smack talk is. MWC academic smack is far superior. The gap between the two is huge and insurmountable. 

Nm

13 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

You'd be surprised how dumb, uninspired and uncreative ivy smack talk is. MWC academic smack is far superior. The gap between the two is huge and insurmountable. 

I wouldn’t be surprised at all. Nothing lamer than Ivy League smack. But then again, telling a Yale grad that his degree is perfect preparation for parking cars doesn’t much work. 

1 hour ago, NVGiant said:

I wouldn’t be surprised at all. Nothing lamer than Ivy League smack. But then again, telling a Yale grad that his degree is perfect preparation for parking cars doesn’t much work. 

I went to a Cornell-Princeton hockey game once and the smack chant from the student section was "Safety school! Safety school!" All the grandmas were secured. Not a screw driver to be found on the ice. Just boring, know what I mean?

11 hours ago, smltwnrckr said:

I went to a Cornell-Princeton hockey game once and the smack chant from the student section was "Safety school! Safety school!" All the grandmas were secured. Not a screw driver to be found on the ice. Just boring, know what I mean?

Cornell gets the "safety school" chant from Harvard and Yale too. 

The "sieve chant" at the Harvard goalie awesome atmosphere :cheer:

14 hours ago, RebelAlliance said:

Nobody is saying that UNR shouldn't continue to grow and improve, continue to add research funding or build up the core arts & sciences departments.  It's just that saying AAU membership is a realistic ten year goal is somewhat ridiculous given where they stand currently, how many other public non-member universities are far ahead of them by AAU metrics combined with how rarely the AAU adds new members.  

Do you expect him to lay out a goal and then say it's an unrealistic one? What a moronic statement inside of a even more moronic tantrum of a thread. Get over it and quit being a baby. 

5 minutes ago, Slapdad said:

Do you expect him to lay out a goal and then say it's an unrealistic one? What a moronic statement inside of a even more moronic tantrum of a thread. Get over it and quit being a baby. 

Reno Envy is real.  It's a condition suffered by several UNLV fans and alums.

RA has one of the nastiest cases we've seen.  He makes Rebel Robert appear to be almost sane.

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

29 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

RA has one of the nastiest cases we've seen.  He makes Rebel Robert appear to be almost sane.

We’ve experienced this with BYU.  There is nothing that hurts worse than being ignored. When you destroy them on the field for over a decade, join a P5 conference and legitimately try to get them off your schedule in revenue sports, their fans will meltdown. 

It got so real that a local politician(Byu grad) stepped in and pulled a dirty move requesting an audit of our athletic program.. The audit went fine but needless to say we can’t get rid of them. 

BYU fans deny their obsession but we saw what happens when we try to dump them for a younger, hotter woman.

1 hour ago, renoskier said:

Cornell gets the "safety school" chant from Harvard and Yale too. 

The "sieve chant" at the Harvard goalie awesome atmosphere :cheer:

Don't get me wrong... Ivy hockey is great, and those are real rivalries. That's just emblematic of the kinds of students who go there that "Safety School" is supposed to cut deep. Not a lot of flair to their smack talk. 

If I was ever at a SJSU game and someone chanted "Safety School" at Boise State, I'd tell him to be more creative. 

1 hour ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

I am not a Nev native nor did I attend UNR ...but have certainly noticed there is a  attitude by people living in Clark county about N. Nevada. There so insecure about themselves its hilarious! Always have to put down N. Nevada to try to hold up their very fragile egos.  ( yeah they have better casinos in the south).

Just look at this silly thread!

cerified_Subarus.jpg