Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RebelAlliance

Sandoval Says UNR to the AAU?????

4 hours ago, RebelAlliance said:

And you are quite the punter.  Again, please explain to me how UNR has any chance of getting into the AAU in the next 20 (50?) years and how Sandoval is not just blowing wishful thinking smoke up the asses of a delusional alumni base that thinks it's an equivalent to a UC or Washington level school.

Actual facts and statistics would be very welcome.  I'm not counting on it because UNR is full of people who wished they had the money to go to Santa Clara but were stuck in Reno at the local commuter college, who then spend their lives trying to convince themselves that it was something more than the mediocre local college.  

Prove me wrong.  With actual facts and statistics.  I'm waiting.

I’d be happy to see both schools do well. It’s one thing to be rivals, but when it gets to the point where you hate the other school as much as you do, it should be an indicator to you that you’re just an asshole. 

kat.jpg

If Iowa State can get in to the AAU, Nevada has a puncher's chance in 10 years. With the growing tech industry and the clout that Sandoval has, I wouldn't bet against it. All this thread shows is that some Reb fans have an inferiority complex with academics. RebAlliance doth protest too much. Shakespeare in case that wasn't in the UNLV curriculum.

11 minutes ago, NMpackalum said:

If Iowa State can get in to the AAU, Nevada has a puncher's chance in 10 years. With the growing tech industry and the clout that Sandoval has, I wouldn't bet against it. All this thread shows is that some Reb fans have an inferiority complex with academics. RebAlliance doth protest too much. Shakespeare in case that wasn't in the UNLV curriculum.

According to the link that I put in the original post, Iowa State ranks among public universities between 26-50 in seven of the nine metrics examined.  UNR ranks no higher than 83rd and as low as 134th.  They're not even remotely comparable institutions.  And how about all those public universities that have far better stats than Nevada.  I guess that they'll get passed over due to all that clout Sandoval has.

Again, what clout does Sandoval have with the AAU.  He was the Governor of a state with no AAU schools?  He is the President of a school that is not even on the AAU's radar?  He went to law school at tOSU though, so I guess there's that.  Certainly, they'll put everything else aside and mount a furious campaign to get UNR in!

As for academic smack, the UNR crowd should really look in the mirror.  You guys are constantly mocking UNLV.  Just look at the moth to the flame effect this post had on you guys.  Perhaps looking down your noses at UNLV soothes the deep down realization that UNR isn't anywhere near what you think it is.  As someone else said, it would probably be in the bottom half of the Cal State system.

Sandoval can set all the laughably unrealistic goals he wants.  Given all that academic smack that's thrown at UNLV on here, I just like pointing out how delusional he is and where UNR's real place on the food chain is.  

You want some cheese with that whine?

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

And for what it's worth, kids, I'm all for UNLV setting realistic goals and then going out and achieving them.  We've done it quite a bit lately: getting the law school, getting the med school, making Carnegie Tier 1.  Now, if a UNLV President was so arrogant that he was setting completely unrealistic goals that nobody in academia thinks will ever happen, I'd be embarrassed.  

The goal to get into the AAU has been in place at Nevada for many years.  It is just a goal..But...having a goal to work towards brings focus to what you are doing.  

You had a goal when you started this rant..You wanted to take shots at Sandoval and the school he now leads..That is fine..You needed something to rant about..

You are the guy on the box in the park yelling at the clouds..

If this is the hill you need to plant your flag on, you will likely be lonely. Nobody anywhere cares as much about this as you do.

If you wish to be part of the gaggle here you may wish to expand your horizons..

17 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

You start a stupid thread and then wonder why people are dissing Vegas? The people +++++ing with you aren’t nevada grads. They just enjoy how dumb you are. 

Yeah, it's a stupid thread. However, and I mean no offense to you so please don't take this that way, isn't the idea that UNR could become an AAU school within a decade just a tad stoopid too?

7 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

Yeah, it's a stupid thread. However, and I mean no offense to you so please don't take this that way, isn't the idea that UNR could become an AAU school within a decade just a tad stoopid too?

Sure..It is just a goal..Maybe it is impossible but goal setting is a good thing..I like all the schools in the MW but other than AFA I don't think there is anything special or unique about any of them..

1 hour ago, 818SUDSFan said:

Who here is arguing that it will happen? What Sandoval is saying is why not Nevada? Why not set high goals academically and reach for them? If Cal schools can do it, if Iowa schools can do it, why not Nevada? The economy, in. Northern Nevada has shifted dramatically over the last 20 years. Why this dude is so unraveled by him saying this in a speech about thinking big I have no idea. 

There are 66 members of the AAU vs 131 members of the Carnegie Tier 1 Doctoral Research list (which includes both Reno and UNLV as well as UNM and CSU). Just like the P5, it's a very exclusive old-boys network. Very exclusive, given the research dollars AAU's can Hoover up. Just like the P5, expansion isn't on the agenda, why split the money-tree more?

That said, does the pursuit of such a goal make Reno a better school long term? I'd think so. 

I hope UNR makes it.  Would be nice to see one of our former mates join the club.  

3 hours ago, jdgaucho said:

I hope UNR makes it.  Would be nice to see one of our former mates join the club.  

It's true. That aau alum card really pays for itself down the line. All the complimentary hot fudge and blowjobs. 

You know how it is as a uc guy. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

On 5/21/2021 at 8:55 AM, Aslowhiteguy said:

It's true.  It's been known for awhile. He has a viable plan to get us there and the connections to make it happen.  I---> You are delusional.  There are many reasons why this won't happen.  The population of the Silver State (3mm) & it's relative lack of support for higher eduction are atop of that list. 

10 years may be a bit optimistic. 15 is more likely. 

The way things are trending, NV will be an AAU school before Vegas gets a win in the Dance.    I---> This statement is more realistic 

On 5/21/2021 at 10:16 AM, utenation said:

Ironic that fans from a school that is apparently headed to the B12 or P12(they can write their own ticket really, both conferences are begging), making final 4 claims in the next few years are discrediting realistic academic goals for their rival. 

The author of this thread has 2 posts to his name and he starts out with the typical UNLV bang..

One thing we know for sure is UNLV will never be a AAU school. A degree there gets you a discount at a whore house, not much more.

On 5/21/2021 at 10:24 AM, renoskier said:

how much of a discount?

asking for a friend :ph34r:

@utenation - Pls answer.  I'm the friend

On 5/21/2021 at 10:35 AM, RebelAlliance said:

What fricking connections does he have that will get UNR into the AAU?  Having gone to law school at tOSU?  It's not a 10 year project or a 15 year project or a 50 year project.  It's a delusional pipe dream.

Again look at the data that I linked.  By the exact kind of metrics that determine AAU membership, UNR is somewhere between the 83rd and 134th best PUBLIC research university in the US.  Not exactly setting the world on fire.

UNR and UNLV are essentially peer universities, decent regional public schools that aren't all that hard to get into.  The difference is that UNLV people have a realistic image of their school.  UNR people have deluded themselves into thinking the place is a UC campus.  Hell, by the data I posted, it's not even the University of Cincinnati.  

Thx for injecting some reality into this conversation.

@RebelAlliance - ¿Who's sock are you?