Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Billings

Ford Electric f-150 a bargin price

2 hours ago, Billings said:

I have a 2013 Ford F-150 with 129,800 miles on it and would like to buy the new Lightning electric version in 2025. I hope they have a longer charge range by then. ⚡

11 hours ago, crixus said:

I have a 2013 Ford F-150 with 129,800 miles on it and would like to buy the new Lightning electric version in 2025. I hope they have a longer charge range by then. ⚡

6 hours ago, TGIFaanes said:

Ya the 230 Mile range for standard is not good imo.

A 230 mile range is plenty for the vast majority of drivers. The 300 miles for the upgraded one is on-par with the Tesla 3 and Y, though they obviously aren't trucks. Unless you're commuting 100+ miles each way every day, or going on a long road trip an EV with that range will do just fine for most people. All of that said, with the improvements in battery efficiency, we'll likely see ranges in the 600+ category within the next few years. Tesla's Cybertruck single-motor will be 250 miles (so very similar the F-150, but that is dual-motor), the dual-motor over 300 miles, while the tri-motor should be 500+ miles. We'll probably see Ford being able to get their ranges into the same categories sooner rather than later. 

6 minutes ago, retrofade said:

A 230 mile range is plenty for the vast majority of drivers. The 300 miles for the upgraded one is on-par with the Tesla 3 and Y, though they obviously aren't trucks. Unless you're commuting 100+ miles each way every day, or going on a long road trip an EV with that range will do just fine for most people. All of that said, with the improvements in battery efficiency, we'll likely see ranges in the 600+ category within the next few years. Tesla's Cybertruck single-motor will be 250 miles (so very similar the F-150, but that is dual-motor), the dual-motor over 300 miles, while the tri-motor should be 500+ miles. We'll probably see Ford being able to get their ranges into the same categories sooner rather than later. 

I fully expect my next vehicle to be an EV F150 or Bronco. By the time I’ll need that whiff of new car smell, the range will likely have improved. The price point with which Ford is coming to market with is going to put a lot of pressure on Tesla and other manufacturers wanting to get into the EV truck space.

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

2 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

I fully expect my next vehicle to be an EV F150 or Bronco. By the time I’ll need that whiff of new car smell, the range will likely have improved. The price point with which Ford is coming to market with is going to put a lot of pressure on Tesla and other manufacturers wanting to get into the EV truck space.

100% agreed, and I'm super excited about it. I'm likely to be looking to replace my RX350 either late 2022 or early 2023, so it should be good timing. 

Toyota Tundra is being completely redesigned for 2022, rumor has it no V8 option, only turbo V6 and hybrid options. It will be interesting, for delivering an F-150 all electric with pricing similar to ICE options.

110926run_defense710.jpg

I'm not a Ford guy, but that gave me wood.

That price point could absolutely ruin Tesla. I knew it was only a metter of time before one of the big 3 made this move. Not really surprised it was Ford either. This is like the Model T all over again. EV's were a cool niche toy, but this makes them a real mass market alternative to gas power. It also solidifies the future of EV's. It truly looks revolutionary. 

5 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

I'm not a Ford guy, but that gave me wood.

That price point could absolutely ruin Tesla. I knew it was only a metter of time before one of the big 3 made this move. Not really surprised it was Ford either. This is like the Model T all over again. EV's were a cool niche toy, but this makes them a real mass market alternative to gas power. It also solidifies the future of EV's. It truly looks revolutionary. 

The single motor Cybertruck with a little more range than the F-150 Lightning has the same $40k price point. 

2 minutes ago, retrofade said:

The single motor Cybertruck with a little more range than the F-150 Lightning has the same $40k price point. 

But can Tesla out produce Ford? I doubt it. Market share alone will keep Tesla in the "niche" market. They should probably stick to the luxury hybrid market and just own that.

2 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

But can Tesla out produce Ford? I doubt it. Market share alone will keep Tesla in the "niche" market. They should probably stick to the luxury hybrid market and just own that.

They don't need to out-produce Ford in the short term. This is going to force them to be more efficient and find a way to increase production capacity even further. They produced over 500k vehicles last year as compared to 370k the year prior. The new Berlin Gigafactory will be capable of producing 500k Model 3/Y a year, along with all of the battery packs and everything else that go along with them. The one in Shanghai (though it'll be exclusive for the APAC markets) will have the same production abilities. Giga Texas is coming online at the end of the year, focusing on Cybertruck/3/Y production, and will have about the same capacity. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Tesla increase their production capacity to 5M vehicles/year by 2024. 

So while they can't outproduce Ford right now, and likely won't ever outproduce them across all markets. They should be able provide enough production to stay in business for a long time, and then work towards being more efficient in both their production capabilities, but also with the technologies within each vehicle. We also have to remember that the F-150 Lightning is a brand new vehicle that's likely going to be fraught with its own issues to begin with. Ford also has to win over the buyers with the offering. I'm cautiously optimistic that Ford will be successful with this as well as the Bronco, and at the bare minimum it should spur on innovation in the long run. 

tl;dr Tesla's imminent demise is greatly exaggerated 

18 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

No they can’t out produce Ford and your assumption is exactly right about niche lux positioning. 

3 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

No they can’t out produce Ford and your assumption is exactly right about niche lux positioning. 

The niche luxury market is likely where the Model S and Model X stay. But given their foray into the more "budget" market with the 3 and Y, I think they have a lot of staying power. They're also going to be releasing a hatchback model in 2023, for a purported cost of about $25k. They also have a technology lead on almost every other manufacturer that wants to jump into the space right now. I don't think they'll ever have quite the reach of the big manufacturers, but they're certainly not going anywhere... in either the luxury or budget/everyday driver markets. 

12 minutes ago, retrofade said:

They don't need to out-produce Ford in the short term. This is going to force them to be more efficient and find a way to increase production capacity even further. They produced over 500k vehicles last year as compared to 370k the year prior. The new Berlin Gigafactory will be capable of producing 500k Model 3/Y a year, along with all of the battery packs and everything else that go along with them. The one in Shanghai (though it'll be exclusive for the APAC markets) will have the same production abilities. Giga Texas is coming online at the end of the year, focusing on Cybertruck/3/Y production, and will have about the same capacity. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Tesla increase their production capacity to 5M vehicles/year by 2024. 

So while they can't outproduce Ford right now, and likely won't ever outproduce them across all markets. They should be able provide enough production to stay in business for a long time, and then work towards being more efficient in both their production capabilities, but also with the technologies within each vehicle. We also have to remember that the F-150 Lightning is a brand new vehicle that's likely going to be fraught with its own issues to begin with. Ford also has to win over the buyers with the offering. I'm cautiously optimistic that Ford will be successful with this as well as the Bronco, and at the bare minimum it should spur on innovation in the long run. 

tl;dr Tesla's imminent demise is greatly exaggerated 

Ford is taking the lead in terms of innovation from the big American 3. Most of their fleet will be EV within the next 10 years and I’m sure that whatever is left on the combustible side of things will be extremely mission critical.

1 minute ago, retrofade said:

The niche luxury market is likely where the Model S and Model X stay. But given their foray into the more "budget" market with the 3 and Y, I think they have a lot of staying power. They're also going to be releasing a hatchback model in 2023, for a purported cost of about $25k. They also have a technology lead on almost every other manufacturer that wants to jump into the space right now. I don't think they'll ever have quite the reach of the big manufacturers, but they're certainly not going anywhere... in either the luxury or budget/everyday driver markets. 

In terms of scale however, Ford will be able to churn the F150s out in a way that Tesla won’t be able to match. The price per unit will be influenced by acquisition of materials and components as well as automated assembly. Tesla might be able to keep up for a while but over time, Ford and the other big auto manufacturers are going to squeeze that space. Tesla’s competitive strength is going to be innovation leaps and lux, not the more commoditized market. And that’s okay. 

2 hours ago, retrofade said:

but it doesn't work as a truck :shrug:

1 hour ago, BSUTOP25 said:

In terms of scale however, Ford will be able to churn the F150s out in a way that Tesla won’t be able to match. The price per unit will be influenced by acquisition of materials and components as well as automated assembly. Tesla might be able to keep up for a while but over time, Ford and the other big auto manufacturers are going to squeeze that space. Tesla’s competitive strength is going to be innovation leaps and lux, not the more commoditized market. And that’s okay. 

I think that Telsa has been able to wedge itself in to make a true big 4 American automakers and that's a fascinating accomplishment. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

4 hours ago, modestobulldog said:

Toyota Tundra is being completely redesigned for 2022, rumor has it no V8 option, only turbo V6 and hybrid options. It will be interesting, for delivering an F-150 all electric with pricing similar to ICE options.

Toyota is the absolute worst at updating their technology, I am a huge 4Runner fan.  But there’s no fcking way I’m buying a top trim with a 12 year old infotainment system and no Adapted Cruise Control, I can do without the auto stop/start and lane assist.  

Also, I get that these cars are the most reliable on the market - but their factory warranty is only 2 years 25k instead of the 3 year 36k industry standard. 

30 minutes ago, happycamper said:

but it doesn't work as a truck :shrug:

Exactly, I’m not pulling my skiff with that thing.  But to be fair, this isn’t the first time Ford ruffled feathers, aluminum bed, “man step,” $75k F150...