Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

415hawaiiboy

MWC Heisman Finalists Since 1982

So I take it David Carr just missed cut. I think he finished top 5 but wasnt one of the players that got invited to new york. In fact when the award was being announced he was eating in the same pizza place that my family was lol. That was kinda cool for my 12 year old self (probably the peak of my craziness/excitment for sports. Over time my level of excitment/investment is at healther level as I age). 

2 hours ago, thedude15 said:

So I take it David Carr just missed cut. I think he finished top 5 but wasnt one of the players that got invited to new york. In fact when the award was being announced he was eating in the same pizza place that my family was lol. That was kinda cool for my 12 year old self (probably the peak of my craziness/excitment for sports. Over time my level of excitment/investment is at healther level as I age). 

8th...but should have been invited.

image.png.038e96ac8e51a149ec7a3e0f2d98283e.png

edit. nevermind you're right...wrong car.

image.png.a5064832da5b797123e7fdb2503aba78.png

2 hours ago, thedude15 said:

Mahalo for sharing your story.  Fresno was good with Carr.  Beat or hung tough with the big boys.  

21 minutes ago, utenation said:

If you are going back to 1982, you have to throw Alex Smith into this.  Steve Young and Ty Detmer too.

For sure.  MWC members past and present!  Some MWC teams had more than one Heisman finalist in their storied history 

LaDainian Tomlinson from TCU (still in the WAC at the time) in 2000.  That night caused a bit of a stir in these parts - Dennis Franchione, who had already taken the Alabama job, wore a red Alabama tie to the ceremony.  He was going to coach the Frogs in the 2000 Mobile Bowl until that.  Afterwards, he was told thanks but no thanks, which led to Patterson taking over a little early.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 5/20/2021 at 11:41 AM, utenation said:

If you are going back to 1982, you have to throw Alex Smith into this.  Steve Young and Ty Detmer too.

Finished in the top 3 in Heisman voting:

1981 - Jim McMahon (Jimmy Mac is worth expanding the range by a year)

1983 - Steve Young

1984 - Robbie Bosco

1985 - Robbie Bosco

1990 - Ty Detmer

1991- Ty Detmer

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2021-01-05/heisman-trophy-winners-and-runners-each-year-1935

No other BYU Heisman finalists are coming to mind at the moment.  And I'll mention that Mark Wilson was also in the top 3, but going back to 1979.

Edit:  Looks like McMahon was also a finalist in 1980, finishing 5th in the voting. 

https://manlyweb.com/sports/football/heisman-trophy-votes-year/

So BYU had a Heisman finalist quarterback every season from 1979-1985 except for 1982 (Steve Young's first season as the starter).

26 minutes ago, Pelado said:

Finished in the top 3 in Heisman voting:

1981 - Jim McMahon (Jimmy Mac is worth expanding the range by a year)

1983 - Steve Young

1984 - Robbie Bosco

1985 - Robbie Bosco

1990 - Ty Detmer

1991- Ty Detmer

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2021-01-05/heisman-trophy-winners-and-runners-each-year-1935

No other BYU Heisman finalists are coming to mind at the moment.  And I'll mention that Mark Wilson was also in the top 3, but going back to 1979.

Edit:  Looks like McMahon was also a finalist in 1980, finishing 5th in the voting. 

https://manlyweb.com/sports/football/heisman-trophy-votes-year/

So BYU had a Heisman finalist quarterback every season from 1979-1985 except for 1982 (Steve Young's first season as the starter).

Impressive list for sure. That was a pretty good run with the Detmer era too. 

On 5/20/2021 at 12:41 PM, utenation said:

Alex Smith is the MWC's only true Heisman Finalist is that correct?

The rest were all WAC Heisman Finalists.

G5 players in the Top 10 of Heisman Voting since 1999 (start of MWC play)

1999:  (5) Chad Pennington, QB, Marshall, (10) Tim Rattay, QB, Louisiana Tech

2000:  (4) LaDainian Tomlinson, RB, TCU

2001:  (5) David Carr, QB, Fresno State

2002:  (6) Byron Leftwich, QB, Marshall

2003:  (9) Ben Roethlisberger, QB, Miami (Ohio)

2004:  (4) Alex Smith, QB, Utah

2005:  (7) DeAngelo Williams, RB, Memphis

2006:  (6) Colt Brennan, QB, Hawaii, (8) Ian Johnson, RB, Boise State

2007:  (3) Colt Brennan, QB, Hawaii, (8) Kevin Smith, RB, Central Florida

2008:  (8) Nate Davis, QB, Ball State

2009:  (7) Kellen Moore, QB, Boise State, (8) Case Keenum, QB, Houston

2010:  (4) Kellen Moore, QB, Boise State, (8) Colin Kapernick, QB, Nevada, (9) Andy Dalton, QB, TCU

2011:  (7) Case Keenum, QB, Houston, (8) Kellen Moore, QB, Boise State

2012:  (7) Jordan Lynch, QB, Northern Illinois

2013:  (3) Jordan Lynch, QB, Northern Illinois, (8) Derek Carr, QB, Fresno State

2014:  none

2015:  (5) Keenan Reynolds, QB, Navy

2016:  (T10) Donnel Pumphrey, RB, San Diego State

2017:  (5) Rashaad Penny, RB, San Diego State, (8) McKenzie Milton, QB, Central Florida

2018:  (6) McKenzie Milton, QB, Central Florida, (10) Darrell Henderson, RB, Memphis

2019:  none

2020:  none