Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ShoichiKUN808

Hawaii’s New Temporary Stadium TC Ching Complex Renderings

Since the existing Aloha Stadium is being demolished and replaced “eventually” and the new Aloha Stadium is still a few seasons away. In addition to the Stadium Authority giving short notice earlier this year to the school that no fans would be allowed to attend games for next season due to safety concerns.

Meet Hawaii’s Temporary new Home Field until that time TC Ching Athletic Complex. Will hold 9k (from 3.5k existing) for this season with possible plans to be expanded in phases to hold around 15k. 

TC Ching Complex had been around for years but was mainly used for track&field, intermurals, football practice/scrimmages, etc.

image.png

https://hawaiiathletics.com/news/2021/5/18/general-retrofitted-clarence-t-c-ching-athletics-complex-renderings-released.aspx

To be blunt, the temporary stands behind the end zone are disappointing. Can't believe they're unable to come up with something more substantial than that. Add to that the fact the existing track places the permanent stands a considerable distance from the field and it can be predicted they'll pump in crowd noise up the wazoo like SDSU used to do.

2 hours ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

When is the new stadium ready? 2024? I’d transfer.

What i been hearing is that the kids are actually stoked to play on campus lol 

Related image

2 hours ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

When is the new stadium ready? 2024? I’d transfer.

That's the best case estimate.  The good news is that, now that it's been decided for sure that UH will be playing on campus temporarily, the demolition of Aloha Stadium is moving ahead.  That at least opens the door to starting construction on the new stadium by the end of 2022.

https://www.khon2.com/local-news/nased-project-moves-forward-after-board-votes-for-early-demolition-of-aloha-stadium/

4 hours ago, 818SUDSFan said:

To be blunt, the temporary stands behind the end zone are disappointing. Can't believe they're unable to come up with something more substantial than that. Add to that the fact the existing track places the permanent stands a considerable distance from the field and it can be predicted they'll pump in crowd noise up the wazoo like SDSU used to do.

I would expect those end zone grandstands to be pulled out after the new stadium is completed since they block the view of the track.  I'm guessing the long-term vision for Ching is to use it as a venue for graduations, concerts, high school football playoff games, UH football practices/scrimmage games and track and field meets.  Total seating of 6K-8K would be adequate for those uses.

45 minutes ago, trvitmvnz said:

What i been hearing is that the kids are actually stoked to play on campus lol 

It is convenient. College kids are nothing if not prudent. 

3 minutes ago, HawaiiMongoose said:

That's the best case estimate.  The good news is that, now that it's been decided for sure that UH will be playing on campus temporarily, the demolition of Aloha Stadium is moving ahead.  That at least opens the door to starting construction on the new stadium by the end of 2022.

https://www.khon2.com/local-news/nased-project-moves-forward-after-board-votes-for-early-demolition-of-aloha-stadium/

I don’t think I realized the new stadium was being built on the same site as the old one. Should be really nice when it’s finally done. Any chance the dubs will play on Colt Brennan Field at the new Aloha Stadium (presented by Hawaiian Airlines) because that would be pretty cool

does anyone know of the NCAA exemptions that allow for a team to have a 13th game if they "play in Hawaii or Alaska" and also allows them to start a week earlier includes a provision that those teams have to actually play Hawaii (or one of the Alaska teams) in the game or does it just state "play in Hawaii or Alaska"

either way I am not sure why more teams do not add the 13th game or take advantage of the earlier start date (the start date especially since I can see a 13th game being an issue for a bye week)

if it just says "plays in Hawaii or Alaska" I think teams should have a game there for a big neutral site season opener and then one team could stick around and play Hawaii the next week

so something like BYU vs. Hawaii and Liberty vs UConn in "week zero" and then either Liberty or UConn sticks around plays Hawaii the next week

actually something more like Liberty vs Hawaii and BYU vs UConn and then BYU sticks around since they have more of the connection to The Islands with their players and they could draw a good crowd both weeks especially friends and families of some of their players

then all of those teams could also have a 13th game of they wanted and they get to be some of the few teams playing in "week zero"

YOU WANT TRADITION? WELL......HERE 'TIS......The University of North Texas has football wins over: Texas Tech U......Rice U......Baylor U......TCU......SMU......Houston......Oklahoma State......San Diego St.......Kansas State......Arizona State.......Colorado State......Brigham Young......Oregon State......Florida......Indiana......Tennessee (a 6 & 5 SEC team & still our biggest win in school history)......Boise State......Louisville......Cincinatti (our last match-up with UC was a UNT bowl win), plus FOUR (4) NCAA FBS level Bowl Games (one while having a losing season record) in this millennium's 1'st decade while North Texas has had ONE NCAA Division 1 Top 20 ranking.

The North Texas Mean Green Village (located between 2 Texas interstates & which a recent TxDOT study said 200,000 vehicles drive by it daily) is a multi-acre olympic style village of athletc venues*dorms*computer study centers, etc, topped off with what GIL BRANDT: The Father of Modern NFL Scouting who described UNT's Apogee Stadium as a "Tah Mahal of a College Football Stadium" with Brandt adding... 'and I've seen every NCAA D1 FB stadium in the USA." All this along with UNT's fabulous 10,000 seat Super Pit--the Best & Largest on-campus college basketball venue in the D-FW Metroplex......AND THREE PONDS AND A BRIDGE!!!!!

This signature is the sole property of Someone and any use of this signature without express written consent of Someone is strictly forbiden by penalty of law

12 hours ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

Any chance the dubs will play on Colt Brennan Field at the new Aloha Stadium (presented by Hawaiian Airlines) because that would be pretty cool

Not likely that whatever corporate entity is willing shell out big bucks for naming rights will be willing to take a second seat to Colt.  However I'm sure something associated with the new stadium or the on-campus football facilities will be named after him.

Below are all four of the renderings in full resolution.

Also this little tidbit is in this morning's Honolulu newspaper regarding expansion of the temporary facility's capacity from 9,000:

"UH officials hope to receive zoning approval to expand seating capacity to 15,000 next year."

Zoning approval would need to be granted by Honolulu's city government, and Honolulu's mayor Rick Blangiardi is a UH graduate who played football and is in the UH sports hall of fame.

Ching_Field_Stadium_V1.jpg

Ching_Field_Stadium_V2.jpg

Ching_Field_Stadium_V3.jpg

Ching_Field_Stadium_V4.jpg

I’m really excited about this.  At worst, we have better facilities on-campus.  At best, UH could decide to play games on-campus permanently and further expand it.  I lived on-campus and game week and game day as a student would be electric.   

Traffic in Honolulu would be pretty bad though. That’s where Aloha Stadium has advantages given the better access and centralized location. 

It's the equivalent of a high school stadium with bleachers brought in for the endzones.  I guess it will work till they finish the remodel of Aloha Stadium, but man this has got to hurt recruiting until they know a final date of completion of the new stadium.  Still, depending on the locker room situation, might be better than what UNLV had with Sam Boyd Stadium.

21 hours ago, tailingpermit said:

Ooh, those parking garage club seats will be selling for a premium.  

arrive early enough and you can watch the game from the comfort of your car. 

First down Warriors (honk your horn)!