Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheSanDiegan

Guitar question...

1 hour ago, TheSanDiegan said:

So Guitar Center shows the Epi LP Std '60s in stock. 

Do any of you know how often they issue coupons? I found multiple 15% off coupons from earlier this beat that have expired and wouldn't mind saving $100.

I get a decent number of 10-15% Musician's Friend coupons emailed to me every year. 

17 minutes ago, retrofade said:

I get a decent number of 10-15% Musician's Friend coupons emailed to me every year. 

How's your experience with them? I was looking at some of their stock last night, but their customer reviews are horrid.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

2 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

How's your experience with them? I was looking at some of their stock last night, but their customer reviews are horrid.

I mean. Guitar Center owns Musician's Friend, so.....

I've never had any issues with them to be honest. I don't dispute that others may have, but I've ordered things through them for 20+ years at this point. 

9 minutes ago, retrofade said:

I mean. Guitar Center owns Musician's Friend, so.....

I've never had any issues with them to be honest. I don't dispute that others may have, but I've ordered things through them for 20+ years at this point. 

That's reassuring. I was just surprised by how many of their reviews were 1-star reviews, and always referencing either poor CS or after having received a dinged-up item billed as NIB.

At least GC has brick and mortars near me... if I find I can go to GC with any MF issues I would be satisfied.

On 5/18/2021 at 11:18 AM, TheSanDiegan said:

One of the silver linings of the pandemic was pulling my Strat out of its case for the first time in more than two decades and playing again. I never advanced as a player beyond novice-to-intermediate, but have been enjoying playing again and am looking to pick up a second electric.

The Strat was a natural fit for the music I grew up on and wanted to play, but I want to expand my tonal palette so I'm looking to pick up either a Telecaster (this model) or the newly-released Epiphone LP Standard '60s (this model). Would those of you (e.g., @smltwnrckr) who play chime in here with your thoughts and advice? I dig on the twang of the Tele and it would seem to compliment the Strat in sound, but the wet, dark notes of the LP give me a chub.

Can't help you with the guitar stuff, but if you ever need advise on a bangin' banjo, I'm your man.

:rotflmfao:

53 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Don't know if they have what you're looking for however Sweetwater is amazing with CS. They give you free candy in every box and shipping is free. I once screwed up and ordered the wrong thing (about $20 worth) and they just told me to keep it, and then sent me the thing I wanted right away, no charge.

2 hours ago, toonkee said:

Don't know if they have what you're looking for however Sweetwater is amazing with CS. They give you free candy in every box and shipping is free. I once screwed up and ordered the wrong thing (about $20 worth) and they just told me to keep it, and then sent me the thing I wanted right away, no charge.

Yeah, I recommend Sweetwater. They can do too much ass kissing to get your business, but the prices are justifiable if you’re going to need some phone support. Call the main number and ask for the most knowledgeable guy on what you want so you don’t get some synth keyboard junkie trying to sell you a guitar he doesn’t play or know a lot about. 

kat.jpg

5 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

That's reassuring. I was just surprised by how many of their reviews were 1-star reviews, and always referencing either poor CS or after having received a dinged-up item billed as NIB.

At least GC has brick and mortars near me... if I find I can go to GC with any MF issues I would be satisfied.

Yeah, back the 80’s and 90’s there were a lot more music chains where you could go in and try and buy. The totally uncool thing to do was go in and get a salesmen and pretend you wanted to buy a pricey synth or whatever. He’d show you the different products that were similar, let you sit there and try them all out for as long as you wanted. Then you say you wanted an item, get any setup tips, and then lie and say, “Thanks, I get paid next Friday and I’ll be back to buy it.” That’s called shoplifting information, and it’s sleazy. 

Then you go home, bust out your Guitar Player or whatever mag. and check out the ads that the mail order music instrument sales places had, and call and check prices. Sweetwater used to be one of MANY that would undercut the GC’s. This was before the internet or very early. These mail order companies didn’t even have to have a website. The difference in prices was HUGE, and that’s why so many did it. I did it a couple times then stopped. Here’s a real example of what I bought in 1987: GC wanted to sell me an Emu Emax Keyboard 12-bit (cringe) Sampler for $2,999 than add $252 of sales tax, so $3,252 and the online stores sell the exact thing for $1,999 and no sales tax, it’s no wonder people did it so much. 

What I started doing is giving the salesman cash for what his commission would’ve been. One time I bought a new Tascam 24 channel mixer in 1987 online, then the sales guy at GC had one just like it. So I paid him a commission amount so show me how to work it at his home studio. LOL. These guys were in a locally well known metal band in San Diego renting an old house, and one of the small bedrooms was the studio. They had a drum kit all scrunched together to fit and I don’t know how the drummer could‘ve played that thing. 

San Diego guys, there’s a Friars Rd. overpass of I believe where Mission Center Rd. ended, and have you ever seen drummers practicing under there? It might be the other exit, can’t remember. Just checked, it where Friars goes over Qualcomm Way. Drummers used this one. the Mission Center spot is too close to bother the condo residents. There was so much cool echo under there, and there weren’t any homes nearby that would complain about the noise. There used to be someone there all time. 

kat.jpg

Question for you guys.

I'm a novice, have a cheap acoustic with steel strings. Looking to get another but my uneducated fingers go to three or four of them picking away( can't use a regular pick) It works for my ear, I like the mellow/ haunting / spanishy/sound it creates. Was wondering if nylon would be better and what decent priced ( $2-300) range acoustic you guys might recommend?

14 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

Yeah, back the 80’s and 90’s there were a lot more music chains where you could go in and try and buy. The totally uncool thing to do was go in and get a salesmen and pretend you wanted to buy a pricey synth or whatever. He’d show you the different products that were similar, let you sit there and try them all out for as long as you wanted. Then you say you wanted an item, get any setup tips, and then lie and say, “Thanks, I get paid next Friday and I’ll be back to buy it.” That’s called shoplifting information, and it’s sleazy. 

San Diego guys, there’s a Friars Rd. overpass of I believe where Mission Center Rd. ended, and have you ever seen drummers practicing under there? It might be the other exit, can’t remember. Just checked, it where Friars goes over Qualcomm Way. Drummers used this one. the Mission Center spot is too close to bother the condo residents. There was so much cool echo under there, and there weren’t any homes nearby that would complain about the noise. There used to be someone there all time. 

Holy fn shit I have seen someone drumming under a Firar's Rd overpass in MV. I just wrote it off as a one-off act of strangeness... never knew this was a "thing." That's hilarious.

On 5/19/2021 at 7:52 AM, retrofade said:

I have an Epiphone Les Paul Standard that I bought over 20 years ago in a wineburst color that I absolutely love. I also replaced all of the electronics and pickups in it after I got it to give it a better sound. I really need to get a new amp though. My old Mesa/Boogie Studio .22+ finally bit the big one a few years back.

edit:

With the amount of instruments I have, I really need to start playing them again. 

• Martin HD12-28
  • Martin DM
  • Jay Turser Jay Jr.
  • Epiphone Les Paul Standard
  • Baby Taylor
  • Ibanez Soundgear SR805
  • Rogue Mandolin

Good God. You buy guitars like I buy watches. :ph34r:

Anybody familiar with Kiesel Guitars (they're the founders/owners of Carvin)? I used to see Jeff and his old man down at local autocross events. Jeff had a tri-rotor RX7 putting down over 700hp at the wheels and his dad raced a Ferrari 458.

So I got She Who Must Be Obeyed on board with a new guitar purchase. :rock:

What makes this such a bitchin' development is if I can buy one with her blessing, I should be able to sneak in a second purchase without it. :ph34r: 

In case anyone aws wondering, I went with the ebony two tone. Dig on the tux look - very understated.  

IMG-3820.jpg

Though I likely would have ordered the Iced Tea if somebody hadn't taken the last of their stock. Which reminds me... which of you f*ckers bought up the last of the Iced Tea models? :foottap:

I find it easier to play than the Strat, though whether this is due to the smaller neck, flatter radius fretboard, or other ergonomic factors I'm not sure.

30 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

In case anyone aws wondering, I went with the ebony two tone. Dig on the tux look - very understated.  

IMG-3820.jpg

Though I likely would have ordered the Iced Tea if somebody hadn't taken the last of their stock. Which reminds me... which of you f*ckers bought up the last of the Iced Tea models? :foottap:

I find it easier to play than the Strat, though whether this is due to the smaller neck, flatter radius fretboard, or other ergonomic factors I'm not sure.

I have a special II in all black and always thought it was easier to play than any Fender I've picked up. Fenders are lighter in my experience but require more precise control with your fret hand. That said I once had a tech work on it and he swore it was the best guitar he ever worked on. IDK, there is something about the shape I guess. 

Edit: Starting to wonder if the extra weight helps with leverage on the fret hand? 

1 hour ago, TheSanDiegan said:

IMG-3820.jpg

I mean, a strat propper is one of the most playable guitars out there. You'll get used to the LP and learn to love its heft. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

2 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

IMG-3820.jpg

Who took the last one? Probably one of those Palin tea-baggers. 

kat.jpg

2 hours ago, AztecSU said:

I have a special II in all black and always thought it was easier to play than any Fender I've picked up. Fenders are lighter in my experience but require more precise control with your fret hand. That said I once had a tech work on it and he swore it was the best guitar he ever worked on. IDK, there is something about the shape I guess. 

Edit: Starting to wonder if the extra weight helps with leverage on the fret hand? 

Les Paul’s have been used a lot in rock on rhythm guitar parts with power chords. The density of the guitar gives more sustain and the weight keeps the guitar stable in place which makes it easier to do fast power chords up & down the neck. 

kat.jpg

3 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

IMG-3820.jpg

Gibsons have shorter scale length and a narrower nut. They're smaller. I actually find fender spacing more comfy because I have man sized hands. :P except I do have a lp Jr with a big chonky neck and that seems to make the Gibson spacing more comfy for me.

The ebony looks great with those gold reflector top hat knobs. Nice choice. What's that little organ piano thing next to the guitars?

2 hours ago, smltwnrckr said:

I mean, a strat propper is one of the most playable guitars out there. You'll get used to the LP and learn to love its heft. 

Chalk it up to the fact I suck. :ph34r: