Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

soupslam1

What’s Your Three Favorite Sports Movies?

Horse Feathers

White Men Can’t Jump

Docs: OJ: Made in America/Hoop Dreams/Ken Burns’ Baseball/Olympia, pt. 1 and 2

Honorable mention: Ford v Ferrari, Moneyball, Fever Pitch, Field of Dreams, Friday Night Lights, Love and Basketball, Pride of the Yankees, Eight Men Out.

I don't have any favorite sports movie, but before the start of football season, I like to watch the following:

Any Given Sunday

Varsity Blues

The Program

Honorable mention, Cars.

Friday Night Lights

Gladiator

Tin Cup

I only watch sports movies where the hero loses or dies at the end. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

On 5/14/2021 at 9:57 AM, ridgeview2 said:

Top 3 favorites:

The Sandlot

Moneyball

Caddyshack

Top 3 honorable mentions:

The Replacements

Major League

Ford vs. Ferrari

the Sandlot was filmed in scenic Ogden, Utah

1 hour ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Without Limits hasn't been mentioned, but is in my honorable mentions.

Totally forgot about that movie, but yea I recall it being really good. I watched it a few times in high school because it was on HBO a lot, and as a halfway decent long distance runner I had to get acquainted with Prefontaine. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

1 hour ago, Del Scorcho said:

I forgot about the Sandlot. Classic for men of a certain age.

On 5/20/2021 at 1:02 PM, Del Scorcho said:

On 5/20/2021 at 2:21 PM, smltwnrckr said:

I forgot about the Sandlot. Classic for men of a certain age.

You're killing me, Smalls.

On 5/20/2021 at 8:58 AM, smltwnrckr said:

Friday Night Lights

Gladiator

Tin Cup

I only watch sports movies where the hero loses or dies at the end. 

Tin Cup has the best sports ending since the original Rocky. It’s perfect. 

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.