Jump to content
bsu_alum9

PAC 12 new Commissioner - MGM's George Kliavkoff

Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, Someone said:

the schools that look best prepared budget wise are Boise, CSU, and Nevada (if you are excluding academic side subsidies which should always be done)

Fresno and UNLV are not far behind and SDSU could improve with a new stajium, but they are a bit further behind

the academics would be CSU, SDSU, and Nevada in that order I believe

I really don't think expansion solves their main issues their network is a turd and adding teams is not going to improve that especially with cord cutting and paid TV MSOs resisting channel cramming more than ever (if the PAC 12 got a partner that could try and cram their network on MSOs)

I just saw this article earlier today I knew WSU was having major issues with budget deficits over and above their high athletics subsidies for a number of years and I knew their academic side was getting hit hard too, but it looks like students and faculty are really making noise.....it is difficult to really care what faculty think because so many are over paid and useless themselves, but when you start losing them you are going to lose the good ones and the useful ones first

https://www.inlander.com/spokane/can-wsu-afford-to-keep-pouring-millions-into-athletics-while-other-departments-shrink/Content?oid=21234695

they know they are in a can't win situation where they take a major financial hit to step down from the PAC 12, but at the same time how they still compete and you are going to chop a lot more than just the PAC 12 payout out of their budget if they were in the MWC or worse D1-AA

Houston fans think they are the answer and the savior to the PAC 12, but their budget is an embarrassment without the academic side subsidy, "cable markets" mean nothing these days and the last thing the PAC 12 needs is a program that actually willingly says they will spend $48 million from the academic side to compete

I think the options for the PAC 12 are to make a push to get the cost of college sports under control and that will always start with getting rid of the waste of a classroom space "get paid" types and getting back to having players that are there for an education and the "get paid" types can go wash out in some semi-pro league

the issue there is the SEC has no interest in that and the Big 10 makes enough money that even their schools that do not care about athletics as much as academics are breaking even or only giving a small subsidy....I think a lot of programs in the Big 12 would love to cut the expense too even Texas and OU, but their programs can afford to wait it out right now.....I think a large number of the ACC would like the same, but they want to keep up with the SEC so who knows what they would be for or against

the other option for the PAC 12 is to go back to uneven revenue sharing and basically see how uneven and for how long any new members might be willing to take that

basically offer them say 75% of the new TV money they bring in and say 25% of other conference distributions which might total about $15 to $16 million and see who bites.....put a few incentives in there for performance that might cost some current members money for horrid performance and might bump new members up a couple of million for better performance and throw the offer on the table and see who bites

I know Houston would sign onto that for life, but i am not sure if others would......it does not bode well for long term success or really bode well for the conference......probably the payments and the length of their new deal would determine how that plays out....the shorter and lower the deal is the more it could happen.....better teams buying time to see where they might move to or who might bow out of the PAC 12 or perhaps some common sense and dumping the expensive "get paid" athletes and all their "needs and cost" could make things better down the road

Is there a short version of this somewhere? Holy smokes

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting... perhaps the Pac 12 CAN snipe a Big 12 school or two. 

 

https://247sports.com/Article/Power-Five-conference-revenues-fiscal-year-2020-Big-Ten-Big-12-Pac-12-SEC-ACC-165594608/
 

""Shockingly, the Big 12 was far below any other conference in the Power Five. The Pac-12 and ACC, while far behind the Big Ten and SEC were over and nearly $100 million clear of the Big 12, respectively.""

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Koji Vu said:

Interesting... perhaps the Pac 12 CAN snipe a Big 12 school or two. 

 

https://247sports.com/Article/Power-Five-conference-revenues-fiscal-year-2020-Big-Ten-Big-12-Pac-12-SEC-ACC-165594608/
 

""Shockingly, the Big 12 was far below any other conference in the Power Five. The Pac-12 and ACC, while far behind the Big Ten and SEC were over and nearly $100 million clear of the Big 12, respectively.""

 

Lower expenses (thanks to P12N) and fewer mouths to feed for the Big 12.  Plus the Big 12 numbers dont include Tier 3.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, RSF said:

Lower expenses (thanks to P12N) and fewer mouths to feed for the Big 12.  Plus the Big 12 numbers dont include Tier 3.

""Conference revenue for FY20: Big Ten: $768.9 million…SEC: $728.9 million….Pac-12: $533.8 million….ACC: $496.7 million….Big 12: $409.2 million,” Berkowitz tweeted.""

Pac 12: 534/12 = $44.5
Big 12: 410/10 = $41

For some reason I had thought the disparity was greater and in favor of the Big 12.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Koji Vu said:

""Conference revenue for FY20: Big Ten: $768.9 million…SEC: $728.9 million….Pac-12: $533.8 million….ACC: $496.7 million….Big 12: $409.2 million,” Berkowitz tweeted.""

Pac 12: 534/12 = $44.5
Big 12: 410/10 = $41

For some reason I had thought the disparity was greater and in favor of the Big 12.

You still have to subtract P12N expenses and add in B12 Tier 3 revenue (which varies greatly).

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RSF said:

You still have to subtract P12N expenses and add in B12 Tier 3 revenue (which varies greatly).

It sill works out to be about 33.5 Mill per school. Not bad considering our leadership has been a cluster fvck.  Imagine if we have some true leadership with a TV contract coming up. We will never have B10 or SEC numbers but people think the P12 is a dying conference. The numbers say otherwise. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, utenation said:

It sill works out to be about 33.5 Mill per school. Not bad considering our leadership has been a cluster fvck.  Imagine if we have some true leadership with a TV contract coming up. We will never have B10 or SEC numbers but people think the P12 is a dying conference. The numbers say otherwise. 

Once you guys wise up and bring Rebel High into the fold, the PAC's numbers will soar. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Once you guys wise up and bring Rebel High into the fold, the PAC's numbers will soar. 

Based on these numbers, looks like the B12 needs their prowess. I'd guess UNLV would add millions of eyeballs and finally a real basketball brand. Kansas is garbage.  And once their football team starts dominating the West, they might kick out the Raiders. It's not if, it's when.

 

I hear @RSF, @NVGiant and @Did I hear a WOOSH? have seen the back room proposals. Once they are ready for an announcement, they will inform Woosh first.  This guy is a legit insider on college sports and geography financials. 

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, utenation said:

Based on these numbers, looks like the B12 needs their prowess. I'd guess UNLV would add millions of eyeballs and finally a real basketball brand. Kansas is garbage.  And once their football team starts dominating the West, they might kick out the Raiders. It's not if, it's when.

 

I hear @RSF, @NVGiant and @Did I hear a WOOSH? have seen the back room proposals. Once they are ready for an announcement, they will inform Woosh first.  This guy is a legit insider on college sports and geography financials. 

UNLV is in for sure. Pac-12 revenue triples if they join. But I think we're going to have to wait until we get our certain AAU status in 10 years before we join.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

UNLV is in for sure. Pac-12 revenue triples if they join. But I think we're going to have to wait until we get our certain AAU status in 10 years before we join.

AAU status doesn't pay the bills my friend.. Name brands, facilities, location and amount of pro sports in town defines greatness.  One thing we know for sure, if UNLV was finally given P5 money, they would finally get their act together and dominate the world. Back in the 90's UNLV basketball was an international brand. Several kids in Taiwan were spotted with Grandmama action figures and Tark the shark t shirts. 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/21/2021 at 8:30 PM, quickdraw said:

This won’t happen. If it did Utah would just start bitching again about the conference tournament being in Vegas and UNLV having home court advantage.

I think Utah and the rest of the conference would be more concerned that UNLV's net rating in basketball is 180 and the football team went 0-6.  They have no fans, no revenue.  Just a few blow hard fans on the internet. With the TV contract coming up in a few years, adding a welfare subsidy to the conference wouldn't be good for the bottom line. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/05/20/pac-12-finances-tax-filings-for-2020-show-revenue-increased-despite-covid-shutdown-but-larry-scotts-income-took-a-hit/

that ignores the $100 million in PAC 12 network expenses

gross revenues do not mean profits or distributions to members

Campus payouts for FY20 (data from other leagues from USA Today):

Big Ten: $54.3 million per school
SEC: $45.5 million per school
Big 12: $37 million to $40.5 million per school
Pac-12: $33.6 million per school
ACC: $30.9 million to $37million per school

Note: The Big 12 figure excludes millions in local media rights, which are owned by the schools because the conference doesn’t have a dedicated TV network.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, utenation said:

Based on these numbers, looks like the B12 needs their prowess. I'd guess UNLV would add millions of eyeballs and finally a real basketball brand. Kansas is garbage.  And once their football team starts dominating the West, they might kick out the Raiders. It's not if, it's when.

 

I hear @RSF, @NVGiant and @Did I hear a WOOSH? have seen the back room proposals. Once they are ready for an announcement, they will inform Woosh first.  This guy is a legit insider on college sports and geography financials. 

That’s a crime you get that much for your football.  A literal crime.  

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NVGiant said:

UNLV is in for sure. Pac-12 revenue triples if they join. But I think we're going to have to wait until we get our certain AAU status in 10 years before we join.

I doubt any schools are getting admitted to the AAU any time soon.  Nothing personal to Unlv.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

That’s a crime you get that much for your football.  A literal crime.  

I'm expecting big things from you. My only request is, we get your top shelf inside info before the major sports outlets announce anything. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

I doubt any schools are getting admitted to the AAU any time soon.  Nothing personal to Unlv.  

Nope. 10 years. So it has been said. So it shall be.

  • Cheers 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Fess up Robert, you deleted the fine print which reads "UNTIL HELL FREEZES OVER."

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 818SUDSFan said:

Robert, you deleted the fine print which reads "UNTIL HELL FREEZES OVER."

You were going to be the other team but now it is Houston.  Thank yourself for your own misery.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...