Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bsu_alum9

PAC 12 new Commissioner - MGM's George Kliavkoff

27 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

UNLV to the PAC-12 has been on a crash course for a long time and it is inevitable.  Easy to see this one coming if you have any sort of foresight at all.

So in your expert, well researched opinion, when does this move happen? You guys are all circle jerking over this guy because he has Vegas ties but there was zero mention of expansion of UNLV?

I think you should come clean with your top shelf sources since everyone else is just an idiot.

What do you have Robert?

25 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

If UNLV's Football schedule looked like this, we would average 50,000+ fans per game.

USC

UCLA

Arizona

Arizona State

Colorado 

Utah

Washington

Oregon

Stanford

BYU

unr

Hawaii

And this is what it will look like very soon.

LOL and you would be 0-12 or 1-11 at best. 

4 minutes ago, utenation said:

So in your expert, well researched opinion, when does this move happen? You guys are all circle jerking over this guy because he has Vegas ties but there was zero mention of expansion of UNLV?

I think you should come clean with your top shelf sources since everyone else is just an idiot.

What do you have Robert?

UNLV was told to get a new Football Stadium and Medical School.

Done.  See you soon.

1 minute ago, RebelRobert said:

UNLV was told to get a new Football Stadium and Medical School.

Done.  See you soon.

Campfire and beer will be waiting my friend.  I just don't think either of us will alive and I might have 40 good years left.

Just now, utenation said:

Campfire and beer will be waiting my friend.  I just don't think either of us will alive and I might have 40 good years left.

Times change fast.  Thinking changes fast.  When this happens, it will happen fast.

It is coming.  Mark my words.

19 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

With $35 extra million a year, I am pretty sure we could upgrade all those positions in a hurry if need be.

You guys already claim to have the best everything when it comes to the MWC.  New facilities. Best location. Best basketball recruits. Yet, you just hired a football coach that went 0-6 in football and hired a basketball coach that has zero HC experience and was a wash out from the last staff that bolted town.

More wasted resources isn't the answer. 

36 minutes ago, utenation said:

You guys already claim to have the best everything when it comes to the MWC.  New facilities. Best location. Best basketball recruits. Yet, you just hired a football coach that went 0-6 in football and hired a basketball coach that has zero HC experience and was a wash out from the last staff that bolted town.

More wasted resources isn't the answer. 

We do have the best basketball and football facilities in the West, not just Mountain West.  We are also in the Most Exciting City in the World along with being in the Sports Capital of the World (according to PAC-12 Commissioner).

I tend to agree with you on the Football and Basketball hires and they are both head scratchers.  Arroyo was obviously a minority hire because the AD was pumping up her resume to be the AD with the most diverse hires in the country, she had/has her sights set higher or so she thought.  She belongs to all these women's organizations and minority organizations at the college level where she pledges her commitment to her fellow activists that she will bring needed minority transformation to college athletics.  She put Arroyo in a horrible situation having to enter the new Stadium without any of his own recruits and the Covid-19 mess (not her fault).  A few years back I said that we should dump the High School coach Sanchez a year before the new stadium opens so that the new coach will have time to put together his own team, the worst thing that could happen would be going 0-whatever in the first year of the new stadium.  But the AD didn't listen or more likely didn't care so forever the stadium will be christened with unr having the first win in the new stadium while UNLV has still yet to win a game there.  But she gets to tailgate in the parking lot and smile while pretending the team didn't lose every game last season.

So Arroyo still gets another year or two to prove what he has or doesn't have, his play calling last year was atrocious so I am going to say that he is either the worst Offensive mind in the history of college football or he wasn't showing his entire arsenal of plays last year and using the season as a throw away and hiding his playbook similar to what NFL teams do in the preseason.  He just lost our offensive line coach during the offseason, so that has to raise the red flag on what is going on in the Football department.  He has lost quite a few coaches in the short time he has been at UNLV.  He smiles too much and doesn't have the killer instinct that I like to see in my coaches but I am giving him the benefit of the doubt right now.  My impression of him is that he is dumber than a box of rocks.

The Kruger hire was clearly a move to save money and try to save jobs in the Athletic Department during the Covid-19 mess and budget crunch that not only UNLV is having but schools across the country are dealing with right now.  She saved jobs and it was an easy out hire that was non controversial because of our history with his father.  It bought her a year or two to get out of town before the $hit hits the fan.  I have said for many year that Baby Kruger is the guy I want coaching the team, I said it long before anyone else.  DRF was a secretary when I said it.  Kruger knows what needs to be done to fix UNLV Basketball, whether or not he can do it we will see.

Maybe Arroyo and Kruger are successful, maybe not.  UNLV will hire again if we have to and one of these days we will hit the jackpot, even if it is by luck.

See you soon bud.

6 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

We do have the best basketball and football facilities in the West, not just Mountain West.  We are also in the Most Exciting City in the World along with being in the Sports Capital of the World (according to PAC-12 Commissioner).

I tend to agree with you on the Football and Basketball hires and they are both head scratchers.  Arroyo was obviously a minority hire because the AD was pumping up her resume to be the AD with the most diverse hires in the country, she had/has her sights set higher or so she thought.  She put Arroyo in a horrible situation having to enter the new Stadium without any of his own recruits and the Covid-19 mess (not her fault).  A few years back I said that we should dump the High School coach Sanchez a year before the new stadium opens so that the new coach will have time to put together his own team, the worst thing that could happen would be going 0-whatever in the first year of the new stadium.  But the AD didn't listen or more likely didn't care so forever the stadium will be christened with unr having the first win in the new stadium while UNLV has still yet to win a game there.

So Arroyo still gets another year or two to prove what he has or doesn't have, his play calling last year was atrocious so I am going to say that he is either the worst Offensive mind in the history of college football or he wasn't showing his entire arsenal of plays last year and using the season as a throw away and hiding his playbook similar to what NFL teams do in the preseason.

The Kruger hire was clearly a move to save money and try to save jobs in the Athletic Department during the Covid-19 mess and budget crunch that not only UNLV is having but schools across the country are dealing with right now.  She saved jobs and it was an easy out hire that was non controversial because of our history with his father.  It bought her a year or two to get out of town before the $hit hits the fan.

Maybe Arroyo and Kruger are successful, maybe not.  UNLV will hire again if we have to and one of these days we will hit the jackpot, even if it is by luck.

See you soon bud.

Love the blind passion Rob. I really do. If your admin had half the passion you do, the results might be better. But the numbers just don't stick brother. 

28 minutes ago, utenation said:

LOL and you would be 0-12 or 1-11 at best. 

This, even if Rebel Robert ends up being right, all that means is UNLV is being setup to be the Vandy/Kansas (FB) whipping boy of the PAC.  UNLV has not shown they can create a competitive let alone winning culture in football.  Simply throwing more money at a problem generally won't solve it, it actually tends to exacerbate the problem by allowing a doubling down on the previous bad decisions. 

1 minute ago, Jimbo_Poke said:

This, even if Rebel Robert ends up being right, all that means is UNLV is being setup to be the Vandy/Kansas (FB) whipping boy of the PAC.  UNLV has not shown they can create a competitive let alone winning culture in football.  Simply throwing more money at a problem generally won't solve it, it actually tends to exacerbate the problem by allowing a doubling down on the previous bad decisions. 

I think you might be surprised what the $40 million dollar a year PAC-12 payout would mean for UNLV Athletics.

Playing with our peers on the big stage where UNLV belongs would bring out the best in the university, not the other way around as you are suggesting.

UNLV will be one of the elite.  It is not a question of if, but when.  It is going to happen.

14 minutes ago, Jimbo_Poke said:

Which goes back to the point, why add something with no value? We can do whatever we want in Vegas without UNLV on our books. Bowl games, championship games etc.

12 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

I think you might be surprised what the $40 million dollar a year PAC-12 payout would mean for UNLV Athletics.

Playing with our peers on the big stage where UNLV belongs would bring out the best in the university, not the other way around as you are suggesting.

UNLV will be one of the elite.  It is not a question of if, but when.  It is going to happen.

Yeah except you will be competing directly with schools that also have that additional money.  If it was just money why do you think solid universities with great academic reputations and in the vicinity of metros larger than LV struggle to compete in their conference?  There are certain fundamentals to establishing competetive (let alone winning) cultures.  Without establishing those, good luck.

16 minutes ago, Jimbo_Poke said:

Yeah except you will be competing directly with schools that also have that additional money.  If it was just money why do you think solid universities with great academic reputations and in the vicinity of metros larger than LV struggle to compete in their conference?  There are certain fundamentals to establishing competetive (let alone winning) cultures.  Without establishing those, good luck.

Utah was already solid when we went there.  It took about 5 years to catch up in recruiting, coaching salaries etc.  KW went 5-7 a couple of years and one more more season like they he was rumored to be gone. 

Now you take UNLV starting from a dumpster fire. They will never catch up.

3 minutes ago, Jimbo_Poke said:

I think many of you would be surprised what type of recruits UNLV would bring in with a PAC-12 next to their name.

I think you would be surprised what type of money the Las Vegas community would invest in UNLV if/when they are PAC-12.

It has always been our destiny to play at that level.  It is exciting how close it is to becoming reality.

UNLV is up to the task of competing with our peers at the top level.  Don't worry yourself about it.  We will take care of business and make you proud.

You will get to see us on the big stage.  It will be exciting for you.  You can talk about when you knew us.

Guest #1Stunner
22 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

What about the MWC competition for that coveted PAC12 spot, though?  They aren't sleeping on their laurels...

SDSU --- has a great basketball venue, and is throwing money at their new football stadium.   They are expanding campus and enrollment.  Their athletics are already on a PAC12 level. 

HOUSTON --- #FertittaMoney.   They already have it all. 

HAWAII --- maybe a sleeper candidate? 

Not sure if the PAC12 feels like San Diego or Las Vegas is the bigger opportunity.   Las Vegas is certainly more interested in getting pro sports than San Diego. 

10 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

That is a great selling point to the PAC or any other P5.  Just promise to spend the money wisely.  If they need evidence of how wisely UNLV handles their money, just point to all the improvements vegas made to their basketball program with that extra 7 million.

Any MW school could do wonders with another 40 mil.  Unfortunately, you have to prove yourself worthy of inclusion before you get the invitation and P5 pay.

As mentioned above, Vegas just doesn't bring anything to the table.  The vegas TV market is relatively small and UNLV is, maybe, the 5th most popular college program in Las Vegas.  

The focus should be on getting better.  Not on fulfilling some pipe dream that may never come to fruition. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama