Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bsu_alum9

PAC 12 new Commissioner - MGM's George Kliavkoff

5 minutes ago, utenation said:

I think we don't see anything unless some type of super conference is formed.  Our TV contract is up for grabs. so timing could be everything. 

I think what we may end up seeing is this....both the Pac 12 and the Big 12 will sign shorter deals like the Big 10 deal.  The UT/ESPN deal expires in the summer of 2031, and the new deals could coincide with that.  And then come 2031, we might see some movement.  What that movement will look like is anybody's guess.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

1 minute ago, RSF said:

I think what we may end up seeing is this....both the Pac 12 and the Big 12 will sign shorter deals like the Big 10 deal.  The UT/ESPN deal expires in the summer of 2031, and the new deals could coincide with that.  And then come 2031, we might see some movement.  What that movement will look like is anybody's guess.

I kinda think the timing of the CFP expansion talk will be the first chess piece. 

BTW, I miss playing TCU.. KW vs Gary. Not sure how many years these two have left. 

Guest #1Stunner

There really is no discussion of the PAC12 expanding.   

Only thing I've seen is that USC boosters hate the PAC12, think it is a lower tier P5, and supposedly want a Notre Dame style Independence alliance with some other Conference.   Maybe the Big12?   But just chatter.

But then, where would USC put their other Sports if they did that?   So...it won't happen.

1 minute ago, 4UNLV said:

Yeah because the MGM has been so supportive of UNLV.. :facepalm:

Yeah, we only named the new medical school after Kerkorian after all.  He had nothing to do with MGM right?

https://apnews.com/article/86fe40c9ef5b445190f0c19cf66f381e

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2015/jun/23/gaming-giants-donate-75-million-unlv-hotel-college/

2 minutes ago, utenation said:

BTW, I miss playing TCU.. KW vs Gary. Not sure how many years these two have left. 

I do, too.  Especially, the last couple games.  :P

GP is signed thru 2024.  He is one of those who might coach until his drops, but I could also see him walking away at the end of that deal.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

1 minute ago, #1Stunner said:

There really is no discussion of the PAC12 expanding.   

Only thing I've seen is that USC boosters hate the PAC12, think it is a lower tier P5, and supposedly want a Notre Dame style Independence alliance with some other Conference.   Maybe the Big12?   But just chatter.

But then, where would USC put their other Sports if they did that?   So...it won't happen.

Interesting.  The USC fans and boosters I talk too are more concerned by internal multi million dollar investigations and settlements for internal issues and violations.  They're also concerned with lack of performance on the football field against their piers. 

Guest #1Stunner

If Colorado were to rejoin the Big12 (a dumb rumor that comes up sometimes), who would be the PAC12's top replacement candidate / new Utah geographic rival?

1.  UNLV

2.  SDSU

3.  Boise

4.  Colorado St.

5.  Houston

(no religious schools)

7 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

SMU could be a partner to Houston to the PAC12, but they are a religious school, so they are out.

Maybe that helps UNLV.

Houston and UNLV would be logical choices.

UNLV and SDSU would be smart choices.

UNLV, Houston, SDSU and BYU would be the best choice.

A case could be made for Colorado State.

Guest #1Stunner
1 minute ago, utenation said:

Interesting.  The USC fans and boosters I talk too are more concerned by internal multi million dollar investigations and settlements for internal issues and violations.  They're also concerned with lack of performance on the football field against their piers. 

You talk to a lot of USC fans in Utah?

Must be T-Shirt fans.

I'm talking their AD and boosters who say this online.

https://thespun.com/pac-12/usc/usc-pac-12-independent-realignment

An historic college football program is open to the idea of joining another conference or perhaps even going independent. According to recent comments from USC athletic director Mike Bohn, the Trojans aren’t happy with the status quo.

Guest #1Stunner
3 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

Houston and UNLV would be logical choices.

UNLV and SDSU would be smart choices.

UNLV, Houston, SDSU and BYU would be the best choice.

A case could be made for Colorado State.

Maybe the Fertitta Brothers would arrange a UNLV and Houston marriage.

6 minutes ago, RSF said:

I do, too.  Especially, the last couple games.  :P

GP is signed thru 2024.  He is one of those who might coach until his drops, but I could also see him walking away at the end of that deal.

I actually liked what happened in 2010. Total ass whipping.  Asked after the game what happened, Kyle said "recruiting". Ask again phrased a little different.  his response. "recruiting".  Up to this point, we thought we were doing well getting recruits.  TCU showed us we need to get A LOT faster. KW was mostly  a 4-3 guy with great linebackers.  Slow 250 lb LBs.

Look today and our base defense is nickel because we've gone out and got DB studs as our priority.  Look at how many Utah DB's are in the NFL the last 10 years. 

1 minute ago, #1Stunner said:

Must be T-Shirt fans.

An historic college football program is open to the idea of joining another conference or perhaps even going independent. According to recent comments from USC athletic director Mike Bohn, the Trojans aren’t happy with the status quo.

Yeah if the Big Ten wanted to make a splash they would invite OU, Texas, USC, UCLA, North Carolina & Duke.

Guest #1Stunner
Just now, RebelRobert said:

Yeah if the Big Ten wanted to make a splash they would invite OU, Texas, USC, UCLA, North Carolina & Duke.

That Conference would be huge.

You'd lose all sense of conference rivalries.

14 is probably the max.

3 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Must be T-Shirt fans.

There isn't one school in the conference that is happy with the revenue situation and have been vocal about it.  That's why new leadership was hired.  USC doesn't even dominate their own TV market. So this is nothing more that posturing to get more out of the conference. 

2 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

That Conference would be huge.

You'd lose all sense of conference rivalries.

14 is probably the max.

Yeah I think the NFL has 32 teams and they split it up into divisions, right?

So you are probably right.  Think traditionally and don't have any sense of the future or possibilities that may exist for more money or consolidation.

good luck with that.

2 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

Yeah I think the NFL has 32 teams and they split it up into divisions, right?

So you are probably right.  Think traditionally and don't have any sense of the future or possibilities that may exist for more money or consolidation.

good luck with that.

How can anyone argue with that kind of logic? :wacko:

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

38 minutes ago, utenation said:

And that's exactly what UNLV's resume looks like.  And why they will never be a P5 until a massive turn around in sports. 

I wasn’t aware performance on the field was the only qualifier for a P5 spot. See below:

Vanderbilt

Georgia Tech

Colorado

Oregon State

Rutgers

Ole Miss

Purdue

Got it......

Guest #1Stunner
3 minutes ago, utenation said:

There isn't one school in the conference that is happy with the revenue situation and have been vocal about it.  That's why new leadership was hired.  USC doesn't even dominate their own TV market. So this is nothing more that posturing to get more out of the conference. 

Let's be honest though...

Every power 5 Conference has 2 to 3 schools that drive the Conference TV contract, and that are the big dogs.   Their opinions matter a lot more.

In the PAC12, its USC, UCLA, Oregon, and maybe Washington...

Now, I don't think USC is going Independent or leaving.  Just that they are the most unhappy with the fall of the PAC12 prestige to the SEC and B1G.   I doubt the PAC12 wants to expand anytime soon.  And no members are leaving.

Guest #1Stunner
3 minutes ago, KayakArmada said:

I wasn’t aware performance on the field was the only qualifier for a P5 spot. See below:

Vanderbilt

Georgia Tech

Colorado

Oregon State

Rutgers

Ole Miss

Purdue

Got it......

Those are legacy schools, that were already in before the advent of big time college athletics and TV contracts.

Expansion is about TV money and geography.

UNLV has an uphill battle.